Zerodust vs Magic Eraser

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by misterjones, Jun 25, 2016.

?

Magic Eraser vs Zerodust (or Equivalent) vs Liquids

Poll closed Jul 2, 2016.
  1. Zerodust (or basic equivalent like Moongel)

44.4%
  2. Magic Eraser

27.0%
  3. both

15.9%
  4. neither

6.3%
  5. additionally use liquid cleaners

28.6%
  6. only use liquid cleaners

6.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. honestabe316

honestabe316 Oh Chief! - Jane Hathaway

I got my moongels...I did a dip yesterday and it went well...I was thinking about detached diamonds however and it took away from the overall excitement of the experience.....
    I think I'm going to brush the stylus after every half side play and moongel after every 2 or 3 records....does this sound effective for proper stylus hygiene? I also run a small home business cleaning vinyl so all my vinyl is ultrasonic ally cleaned followed by a VPI 16.5 cleaning, Zerostatted and put in mofi sleeves.....my records are very clean so I think this method should suffice......maybe ME too.....
    I just don't want to "overkill" the process

fizzgig likes this.
  2. fizzgig

fizzgig Well-Known Member

I don't use the Moongel on every side, usually on every record or even less. I too have a record cleaner and a nice brush, my records are clean before I play them.

DanBNash, dosmalo and honestabe316 like this.
  3. dosmalo

dosmalo T-Totaled Subscriber

No, no ,no! Its "Obama DONE it."

4. theophile

theophile Pheasant Plucker. Subscriber

Be quiet. He's listening to us, right now!

5. ripblade

ripblade Super Member

That's fake news, but just to be safe, don't have sex in front of the microwave.

6. honestabe316

I sent a request to DT for a few clippings of his hair after next haircut.gonna make me an executive stylus brush...

7. Spinning45s

Spinning45s Active Member

I think someone did mention using it on other things, but anyway, though I haven't used either one, I understand that they are at least slightly abrasive, so I would not use it on a stylus.

As a matter of fact, I would not use anything that is somewhat solid like those products, not even an artist's kneaded eraser that I have heard some say they use, too much risk of damaging the cantilever
    or stylus itself.

For stylus cleaning, I only use a soft camel hairs artists brush, brushing from back to forward after every six songs. For any debris caked on the stylus, I just moisten the brush with distilled water and clean
    as usual. It does an excellent job.

8. honestabe316

That is your safest bet for sure.....I spent a considerable amount of time researching on line regarding ME and moongel.....I saw nothing that really dissuaded me from their use....I find with the moongel I feel most comfortable just slightly dabbing the top of the stylus ever so lightlh.....maybe after every two records....I brush with stylus brush after every side.....99.9 % of the posters seem to be comfortable with thier method......the only horror stories I read about are folks snagging thier srylus' with cloth or damage them with stylus guards....