Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Zilch, Feb 23, 2008.

1. 4343

4343 Super Member

2. djnagle

djnagle Lunatic Member

The new program won't let photobucket pic to show. They are working on it. I'll find them on my old computer and upload them again.

3. 4343

4343 Super Member

While it may seem solid and vibration free, I think you will find that a competent woofer will have the sides moving quite a lot. That is what gives rise to the "boxy" sound many unbraced cabs exhibit.
    Only one way to find out if it's acceptable to you, listen. Also feel the different panels, checking for vibrations while they are playing loud. (Stupid-Loud, just for the test.)

Me, I learned to brace, and brace some more, and coat it if it moves, or if you don't want it to move. That's why I am using about 8 2X3 studs and 10-15 tubes of construction glue inside my pair of 7 cu. ft boxes.

4. biamped

biamped New Member

Once I get the speaker combo and crossovers figured out, there will certainly be more bracing installed.

5. skywave-rider

skywave-rider Slumming in Akihabara Subscriber

Hey! I just fixed up my AK account today and started browsing. Posted a video in the General Forum. Scanning posts. Wow! I've got a lot of reading to do. Great to see you!

Russellc likes this.
  6. Russellc

Russellc AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nice to hear from all the old ewavers! I spend time here, and over on diyaudio.com's Pass forum building class A amps.

Russellc

skywave-rider likes this.
  7. Justgotohm

Justgotohm AK Subscriber Subscriber

Ok so I have a pair of JBL L40's that may be good canidates for econowave's. The relatively high crossover point of the 127a's, the size of the cabinets, plus I already have a pair of JBL PT 90/50 waveguides. I'm assuming I will be lowering the crossover point of the woofer to 1200 which may help it given at 1800 it's at its extreme limits. I have searched here and Google for any similar builds and have discovered a few post but not any definitive builds. I plan on using the D220Ti with a screw on to bolt on adapter. Any experience, suggestions, or recommendations is appreciated. Thanks

8. Katalyst

Katalyst Active Member

The standard crossover/ classic should work well. crossoverschematic generic.png

9. Justgotohm

Thanks Katalyst, I saw that and had a question, please excuse my ignorance on this. It list the low pass as 1200 and the highpass at 3000. I'm assuming the roll of of the LP and HP together makes up the 1200 to 3000 frequencies at the correct level ? This particular build with the schematics given and the fact I have most of what I need would be an easy build. I like instant gratification.

10. Katalyst

Katalyst Active Member

Yes the over lapping crossovers "fill in" the rest of the frequencies. In the thread somewhere is the depth to set the time delay vertically. Center of the throat to the horn verses the voice coil of the woofer.

11. Justgotohm

Ok great now that makes total sense to me, looking forward to a quick build when I get off. I should be able to used the stock Lpad configuration if everything fits ok. I'll know when I get home in a couple weeks. Thanks