Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

Hi there. I just picked up a pair of the closeout special D220Ti from Parts Express. I hate to sound lazy, but can someone please point me to an approximate page to start to find the crossover and waveguide recommendations for the Selenium driver? With the thread being spread out over 823 pages and over 10 years, it's very hard to find information. I'll dig in and start reading if I need to, but wow....

I have a pair of Norman Labs Model 10 - two 10" sealed with awful tweeters and xover was thinking about trying with, but definitely open to building a cabinet from scratch and buying good woofers. I also just ordered a pair of the original JBL PT-F95HF waveguides. I see now that Parts Express also has a clone of it, but I'm ok sticking with the original - they are now $25.50 each. I want to pair with a Fisher 400 tube amp, so moderate efficiency is desired.

I know going with the original components was a risk since over 10 years there were bound to be different combinations tried and perhaps liked even better - but - the original designers sure seemed pleased with it from the beginning so I just went for it.

Last edited:
I have a pair of Norman Labs Model 10 - two 10" sealed with awful tweeters and xover was thinking about trying with, but definitely open to building a cabinet from scratch and buying good woofers. I also just ordered a pair of the original JBL PT-F95HF waveguides. I see now that Parts Express also has a clone of it, but I'm ok sticking with the original - they are now $25.50 each.

Aren't those "buyout" 220ti drivers that you got the bolt-on type?

If so, you'll need to buy some adapters to mate those drivers to that wave-guide.

One of the things I really liked about the original eWave concept was the utility of saving curbside abandons > so I'd encourage you to try to make your Norman Model 10's work.

LoSens_XO_Schematic_A.jpg

Above is the schematic for the <95db network ( used with most HiFi speakers ).

The woofer section likely needs adapting since it's for an 8 ohm woofer while your current speakers are most likely 4 ohms.

To start, you should get a DCR reading of your twin woofer system ( without any network attached ).

:)

The Normans you have should put the wave high enough. No stands needed. Are the woofers run full out? Another words direct from the + and - on the existing crossover.

I just pulled one woofer out - it measures 5.8Ω DCR. It also measures 6.4Ω impedance @ 100Hz and 9.2Ω impedance @ 1KHz. The drivers are made by Philips in Belgium. I think the quality is probably pretty good, but unknown t/s specs. The current crossover has them wired in parallel, but of course can be flexible in the new xover. It's a tall cabinet with internal volume of about 2.7 cu.ft. There appears to be enough width to replace the baffle and go with a ported single 12" as well. I'm totally open to suggestions from those with experience with what works best here.

Here's a sketch I made of the xover a while back before I replaced the caps. The woofers are parallel with a single inductor labeled "240" for a simple 6db rolloff. I believe they wound their own coils so the "240" might be a part number instead of a value.

Attachments

• IMG_3630.JPG
    IMG_3630.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 28
  • NormanLabs10.jpg
    NormanLabs10.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 27
How wide is the baffle inside the side trim? And how deep are they? Got to make sure you have room for the horn and CD.

Play the speakers with the tweeters unhooked. See where the existing crossover crosses the lows. You may be able to use that as the low part. Just add the wave and the compensation with the L pad.

Inside dimensions are 13.5” wide, 10” deep, 35” tall. How are you guys measuring/plotting the frequency response? I might like to invest in some basic equipment if it's not too expensive. I have a frequency/function generator already and I have the room calibration microphone that comes with a Yamaha RX-A1070 HTR. Would either of those have any usefulness?

Inside dimensions are 13.5” wide, 10” deep, 35” tall. How are you guys measuring/plotting the frequency response? I might like to invest in some basic equipment if it's not too expensive. I have a frequency/function generator already and I have the room calibration microphone that comes with a Yamaha RX-A1070 HTR. Would either of those have any usefulness?

For acoustic testing of your speakers a calibrated mic like the following is highly recommended ( click the pic for the link to P.E. ).

That USB based mic coupled with some free software from will measure your speakers acoustic response.

Play the speakers with the tweeters unhooked. See where the existing crossover crosses the lows. You may be able to use that as the low part. Just add the wave and the compensation with the L pad.

Good advice!

"tekuhn" can easily start with a mashup network using the existing lowpass ( of his N.L. 10's ) while adding in the HiPass from the following schematic.

LoSens_XO_Schematic_A.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you very much - that's exactly where I will start. I have disconnected the tweeters on one of the cabinets and gave a listen. I think they might be crossed too high, but would like to measure to be sure.

Should I start a separate build thread for this? I don't want to add a bunch of noise to the master thread if it should be separate.

Thanks!

( JMO ) but I'd keep your efforts located here in this thread since it is a sticky that's always visible to those with similar interest .

FWIW; IMHO a huge percentage of this master thread is already noise ( & not adding to it won't change the fact that few new eWavers want or need to read the complete tome ).

Back
Top Bottom