Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

The frames have been skinned. The enclosed porch is my work area. So weather plays a part in the project. First coat of oil is on the 1/4" birch plywood. Pictures attached.

Attachments

• BoxesClamped (3).jpg
    BoxesClamped (3).jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 51
  • First coat oil (8).JPG
    First coat oil (8).JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 52
  • First coat oil (11).JPG
    First coat oil (11).JPG
    64 KB · Views: 50
  • First coat oil (13).JPG
    First coat oil (13).JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 49
When you framed these, did you cut the hole for the horn from a piece of plywood, or just frame it all around with those 1 x1 (sticks)?

Framed with 1 1/2" x 3/4" spruce. The trim around the front is not taking the oil to tint it. The trim is the same profile as the bass bins.

Attachments

• Frames (1).JPG
    Frames (1).JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 31
  • WaveFramedRoom (2).jpg
    WaveFramedRoom (2).jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 31
This is my first try at cabinet making. The 1/4" birch plywood chipped the first layer when using the power saw. Finally got it cut with a utility knife and the miter saw. The bevel had to be done with a surform file. Looks like a cheese grater in a plane body. The next cabinet will be thicker material so I can use power tools. These are more like 1950's light weight furniture than true speaker boxes.

It's all good and it looks great. I use a jigsaw blade that has the teeth facing down. No rip-out on the face side. Yeah, I get it, turn it over, but it works for a lot of other woodworking tasks. I like the 1/4 wood idea. Easy to work with and no resonance to worry about really.

The Ewave cabinets done. Crossovers are in the wave boxes.Used some left over parts from a set of Altec Model15s. That connector goes from crossover to the bass bin. Still bass shy compared to the Model 15s. Very detailed in the wave section.

Attachments

• WavesDone (4).JPG
    WavesDone (4).JPG
    75 KB · Views: 51
  • WavesDone (9).JPG
    WavesDone (9).JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 145
Will exercise give those woofs a lower F in cab?
One can hope. I have them playing a test tone at the box tuning(35HZ) now. I will pm GordonW to see how long the break in should take. These are technically mid woofers. An E-120 frame and 2204 cones with an added mass ring. Friday I should have the house to myself. That will let me do some sweeps at a higher volume.

I reversed polarity to the bass bins. Moved the Ewave cabinets back 1" from the front of the bins. Better imaging now with the changes. The JBLs just seem to start dropping off around 100hz.

Are you measuring the changes? Not that they're everything, depending on the person, but they can get you closer.

Disconnect the horns and put the woofer cabs face to face 1" apart. Reverse polarity on one woof and turn on the radio fairly loud and go away for the weekend. When you get back the woofers will be broken in.

The jbl woofers drop off at 100hz period. Sealed the ports same result. One port only same result. Tuned ports to the recommended tuning from the 2204 spec sheet. Lost a little below 45hz. I will try adding fiberglass insulation and test again.

Attachments

• closeportsopen (2).JPG
    closeportsopen (2).JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 23
  • ClosePortsClosed (2).JPG
    ClosePortsClosed (2).JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 23
  • CloseOnePortOpen (2).JPG
    CloseOnePortOpen (2).JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 23
  • ShortPorts52hz (2).JPG
    ShortPorts52hz (2).JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 23
The jbl woofers drop off at 100hz period. Sealed the ports same result. One port only same result. Tuned ports to the recommended tuning from the 2204 spec sheet. Lost a little below 45hz. I will try adding fiberglass insulation and test again.
How's this being measured?

How's this being measured?
Dayton mic using spectroid on my phone.
What does the spec sheet say for the 120?
Fs is 60 for the E120. Fs for the 2204 is 45. Suggested tuning for the 2204 is 50 hz. The frame is an e120 and cone is a 2204. Gordon added a mass ring from the parts he had. Other than the lack of bass below 100 hz these image well and sound nice. They may just need a sub.

Attachments

• ShortPorts52hz (3).JPG
    ShortPorts52hz (3).JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 10
Dayton mic using spectroid on my phone.
Fs is 60 for the E120. Fs for the 2204 is 45. Suggested tuning for the 2204 is 50 hz. The frame is an e120 and cone is a 2204. Gordon added a mass ring from the parts he had. Other than the lack of bass below 100 hz these image well and sound nice. They may just need a sub.

Since you mounted those JBL's to the back of the baffle board ( while JBLs are historically front mounted ), I'd suggest closely examining the existing cut-out to make sure 100% of the woofer's surround is free & clearly visible ( and not obstructed by any wood over-hang else you might be restricting the woofers compliance > effectively raising the woofers' Fs, mechanically ).

That's about all I can think of that would give you such unexpected results ( when using OEM JBL parts ).

If they were mine I'd be yanking a woofer and measuring it's Ts parameters ( mostly wanting to know the Fs ).

It's a shame you can't do that.

:)

PS: Also, the E120 magnet is slightly larger//stronger resulting in a couple of db increase in the midrange output ( not that this explains the dramatic drop-off seen below 100hz, since magnetic strength doesn't dictate Fs ).

For that to happen I suspect your woofers Fs must be quite a bit higher than expected from OEM kits ( or your box tuning just isn't what you think it is ).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom