Zobel Filters?

What are their purpose? I've read a few references to them but I still have no idea as to what they are there for.

Jim H.

Unless I am wrong, I learned something new.

I thought Zolbel filters where to "neutralize" the added capacitance of the speaker cables, or is that the purpose of the small coils seen in the output circuits in most SS amps?

Mark T. :music:

A Zobel network is based on the image-impedance principle. Their claim to fame is that the input impedance is fixed in the design and is independent of the transfer function.

In general and in simple terms a Zobel network’s function is to help present a constant impedance (in a perfect world they would counteract the reactive component, leaving a purely resistive load).

They were used extensively to widen and flatten the frequency response of copper phone lines.

In our hobby one of their uses is to cancel the reactive component of a loudspeaker driver. This can help maintain constant impedance as seen by the output of the sections of a speaker crossover (in a perfect world this would make the load as seen by the section of the crossover purely resistive) and this will help maintain the design characteristic of the sections of the crossover.

They may also be found on the output of audio amplifiers to help to enhance the stability of the amplifier.

In the broader context a Zobel filter may be designed as a low-pass, high-pass, band-pass or band-stop filter. It may also be designed as a flat frequency response attenuator.

In our hobby the name Zobel in more well known for impedance compensation in loudspeakers, although IIRC, none of his papers or patents referrer to this application.

It is true that not all speaker manufacturers make use of a Zobel network, much in the same manner as they do not all use constant resistive load attenuators (L-pads) in their designs, even though if a potentiometer is use, when the amount of attenuation is changed, it will shift the crossover point of the crossover section.

Thanks.
I'm referring to the .047 Mylar cap and 10 ohm resistors strapped across the speaker terminals on my BA-3000. I had no idea of their function.

Jim H.

Thanks.
I'm referring to the .047 Mylar cap and 10 ohm resistors strapped across the speaker terminals on my BA-3000. I had no idea of their function.

Jim H.

That's them. :yes:

Note: Sometimes referred to as a 'Boucherot cell'

Back
Top Bottom