ZONE B on MX119 and MC207

jupiterfx

so i just upgraded my MC206 for a MC207. such a better amp!

but i have a situation i cannot figure out.

I have an MX119 that is connected to the MC207 for 5 channel theater to drive 5 CS350's; the remaining two channels #5 and #6 are send to the B zone to drive to XLS320's. i have it connected as the diagram shows in the mX119/MC207 booklet and as i have done before in the past using a MC2102 for zone B. but now i get no sound out of the zone B.
i thought is was that i also have a CR16/MC58 connected to the MX119 as well, but when i disconnect the 37pin lead to the CR16 from the MX119 i get no resolve...
any thoughts?
thanks
Michael

Do you have a power control jack from the B-Zone out of the MX to the B-zone in of the MC207? Power control cable fully seated?

Thanks,
Ron-C

I had this problem a couple of times before. 2 different things happened. Zone B is Analog only.

1st time. It was a digital signal.....changed the source to an analog.

2'd time. I Had to run some RCA cables from the CD player "analog out" to the CD1 inputs of the MX119. This was in addition to the XLR input I was using and the coaxial digital cable.

However, you just changed the amp only...not sure why there would have been a change.

The menu in the MX119 for zone B is for volume only.

Sorry in advance if you already knew this.

jc

Hi ron,
i was hoping you'd come to the rescue!
yes i have a power control trigger from zone B/MX119>> to the zone b/Mc207.
the power control cable is fully seated and the amp turns on with zone a, then i turn on zone b using the MX119 as i havent been able to hook up my WK4 to the zone b yet.
Michael

I had this problem a couple of times before. 2 different things happened. Zone B is Analog only.

1st time. It was a digital signal.....changed the source to an analog.

2'd time. I Had to run some RCA cables from the CD player "analog out" to the CD1 inputs of the MX119. This was in addition to the XLR input I was using and the coaxial digital cable.

However, you just changed the amp only...not sure why there would have been a change.

The menu in the MX119 for zone B is for volume only.

Sorry in advance if you already knew this.

jc
i think you might be right!! i completely forgot about this.
i will go buy cables and connect it properly today- thanks a million as i was freaking out.
MK

Zone 2 is only analog and always has been. If you have a digital source and want to use it in zone-2 simply connect the stereo analog outputs of each source component.

thanks,
Ron-C

is the MC207 really better than the MC206? I thought they were the same thing, just 7 channels.

opps, I just realized I was thinking about different amps. The MC206 is more similar to the MC7205 (that I am running for my rears and center) than the MC207. I wonder why Mc used the nomenclature they did on these 3 amps, as it doesn't seem to make sense.

is the MC207 really better than the MC206? I thought they were the same thing, just 7 channels.

opps, I just realized I was thinking about different amps. The MC206 is more similar to the MC7205 (that I am running for my rears and center) than the MC207. I wonder why Mc used the nomenclature they did on these 3 amps, as it doesn't seem to make sense.
The MC7205 and MC206 both are rated at 200 watts per channel into 4 ohms and 120 watts per channel into 8 ohms. The MC207 is rated at 200 watts per channel into either 4 or 8 ohms.

The MC7205 was so named as part of McIntosh's 7" high series, so the 7 is for its height, the 2 for 200 watts per channel, and 5 for 5 channels. The MC206 and MC 207 are 2 for 200 watts per channel and 6 or 7 for number of channels. Not saying it makes perfect sense.

Zone 2 is only analog and always has been. If you have a digital source and want to use it in zone-2 simply connect the stereo analog outputs of each source component.

thanks,
Ron-C

Thanks for the response. Too bad my music serve doesn't have a analog out, and my CDP's DAC's are less than stellar.

It is the MC205 & MC207 that are the same beside the two additional channels on the latter.

in my experience the upgrade from the MC206 to the MC207 was dramatic. It could also be b/c I got rid of a MC2102 that I was using as a center channel. I love the option of having 2 extra channels for zone b now as well.
Michael

Back to the original problem, I needed 2 power control cables from our MX-135 to the MC-207 ... 1 for Zone A, 1 for Zone B. That didn't seem clear from the answers above.

I had a 207 and a 206 working to gether and now have a second 207 taking the 206 place. The second 207 helped my Bi-amped center and rear speakers, with the remaining channel driving the one of the side speakers with the other 207 which is tri-amping my front speakers driving the other side speaker. The 206 did a great job and I prefer the flexibility of the meter selector the 207 doesn't have. But sound wise the 207 has a little smoother high end, which I really like and also has a little more authority in the bass. I don't think it just the additional power as I rarely use more than 20 watts per channel in the rear and side. But the Center Can easily reach 100 watt levels for both the LF and HF sections of the bi amped speaker and the added power of the 207 to the bass really helps. I can't say the 206 is inferior as both the 206 and 207 work very well over extended listening periods. I would have to say that the 207 is just more sophisticated and a bit more musical than the 206. Its like the difference between XRT 28 and XRT 30. Same mids, same tweeters, but with better bass and better directivity yielding more definition and the potential to produce more.

Back
Top Bottom