ZR1600 just gets better sounding!

bully

The system comprises the ZR1600 amp, Yamaha CX-2 preamp, a Technics MASH cdplayer, and the Phase Linear P-530.
I am in love with this amp! Just incredible detail and definition, yet with the languid, liquid sound of Class A amps.
Just finished listening to Santana, and am now listening to the jazz stylings of Corrine Bailey, a young singer who will be a star. The sound of fingers on strings is well striking. Attack and decay you could be at the club hearing them play live.
If you have the chance to try out a digital amp with a Tripath chipset, do give yourself the pleasure--you will probably want to buy it!

Pete, IMO your selling yourself short by using that CD player.

You seem like a great candidate for the OPPO that everyone is raving about. Efudd should have one within a week. Ill see what he thinks.

I am glad your so happy with that amp. Definitely a great candidate for anyone that owns watkins Infinitys!!

Enjoy dude - Evan

Yes, the cdplayers (5 current stereo systems) would be my weak link. I a troglodyte or Luddite or someone that has held to the belief that digital is ones and zeroes and what difference could that make.
I was a bit taken by the sound when I temporarily used one of my dvdplayers in place of the cdplayer. Yeah, it seemed that the sound was a bit better than the regular cdplayer. Something 24/192 as opposed to 44??
This amp has made me want to find something even better than the very fine sound from the P-530. The P-530 are great, but are a c1979 speaker system. The boron-dome tweets and the boron mids are just sublime, and the woofer looks like an early TAD driver (Pioneer owned Phase Linear when these speaker systems were made--they have no Pioneer analog, and Pioneer created TAD at the same time. The P-530 were $1,000 a pair and were a competitor to the Yamaha NS-1000 models).
I still love the Yamaha sound, and the M-80 that was sold and replaced by this amp was excellent. But, the sound of the ZR1600 is just stunning.
I've read about modding, but cannot imagine the need, why screw up something that sounds as good as what I'm hearing.

Bully; thanks for the glowing reviews. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new zr1600. Should be in this week. I'm planning on using the new carver to drive my polk sda 2.3's. Right now I have a bose 1800 amp driving them and I'm hoping for a nice upgrade soundwise.

Back
Top Bottom