Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekends

AlphaEcho35

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Just ordered a set. They are apparently victims of their own success - there is a 4-6 week backlog. They still offer the 60 day return with free shipping. I am willing to wait - gotta clear out some gear to make room for them anyway.

Planning to run them with my tube gear - Fisher 800B and Magnavox 4 watt single ended. 97db sensitivity.

Actually tried to grab a nice pair of Klipsch Heresys, Forte's or Cornwalls, but they sell before I can get to them and usually go for two thirds the cost of the Omens.

Stay tuned for a review in two months LOL.

I can't believe I ordered these only two weeks ago.:sigh: Still got four weeks to go! I sure hope they are worth the wait.
I know these are controversial speakers, but after everything I have read (I haven't heard Zu's with tube amplification) I think they will have the sound I am looking for.

Nothing like rolling the dice!

CNet - "Outrageously Awesome Speaker"

Well, I wonder how this is going to affect my six week delivery date...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57591543-47/zu-audios-outrageously-awesome-speaker/

My expectations are getting ramped up pretty high - I hope these Omen DW's can deliver. One takeaway from the CNet article is the fact that the power you drive them with has a large impact on the sound (I guess that is really just common sense.)

I plan to have several of my amps in line for the testing - my 4watt single ended amp, my 25wpc Fisher 800B and my 70 watt wpc Marantz 2270.....

Finally here!!

After almost eight weeks, the Omen DW's have arrived!

Hot off the UPS truck, here are some pics of the packaging. The cardboard had two punctures, but they seemed minimal, and I had the UPS driver note them in his delivery log. Upon inspection, the speakers were not marred.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here's the first one with its speaker cover still in place....
attachment.php

Here they are together, fully unboxed, with the Monitor Audio Silver 5i that they will (hopefully) be replacing in the background
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Omens1.jpg
    Omens1.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,380
  • Omens2.jpg
    Omens2.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,359
  • Omens3.jpg
    Omens3.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1,443
  • Omens4.jpg
    Omens4.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,429
  • Omens5.jpg
    Omens5.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,357
Sangria Red, very nice. I had the Ghost Black.
Lots of setup tips and tweaks if you search, don't be afraid to paly with positioning, height (critical IMO), rake angle, etc. Once I got mine set up properly I liked them a lot.
I thought they did fine on only a few watts.
Enjoy!

Underneath shots...

Here's the bottom of the speakers - Zu insists that these "finger port" are not the same as traditional bass-reflex ports, but they must be at least 1/4" clearance between them and the floor.

attachment.php

The carpet feet are basically threaded rod inserts about 2 inches long, with "rounded" bottoms.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Omens7.jpg
    Omens7.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,103
  • Omens6.jpg
    Omens6.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,086
Gorgeous color. I posted lots of tips on set up and they're here somewhere.

I believe I read the drivers are trade-ins so you won't need to break them in. But if you've never listened to full range speakers before your ears may need the break in. :D

After almost eight weeks, the Omen DW's have arrived!

Hot off the UPS truck, here are some pics of the packaging. The cardboard had two punctures, but they seemed minimal, and I had the UPS driver note them in his delivery log. Upon inspection, the speakers were not marred.

attachment.php

Nice! :thmbsp:

Hopefully, UPS driver didn't think they are something to get dirty in the weekends. :D

Powering them with my Fisher 800B right now - using the 8ohm taps. So far, they have a forward presence, with lots of detail. I am trying to wean myself from using a sub - my MA sub is a beast, but I want to want to run the system without it. Flicking on the loudness contour switch on the 800B produced copious amounts of low frequencies, but I am trying to run all tone controls flat.

Very cool - congrats! Are those carpet spikes in that little baggie? If so, do you plan on using them? So far have you found the speakers to excel with any specific music genres in particular?

Congrats! Please post a review when you get a chance especially how they compare to the Monitor Audio Silvers you had. I auditioned silver MAs but they seemed to be missing something and were more expensive (I think)than the Omens. (Sales guy wouldn't give me a price till I was ready to decide!)

So I just put a call into Zu to order a pair of the same. The web site said a 3 week wait but on the phone the rep said about 6 weeks.

I'm ordering based on reviews and dissatisfaction with auditioning speakers at local shops that would not allow me to bring home a pair to audition. And i just don't like most sales people. At least if i don't like the Omens I can send them back.

Back
Top Bottom