Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekends

Y

Yep. Thanks to your help. I really don't see the point of high priced amps. I mean don't get me wrong, people that have them its wonderful. But I am THOROUGHLY enjoying this little $69 amp. Simply amazing price to performance factor.

Great sounding amplification doesn't have to be expensive these days. I've heard few amps that could compete with the SQ of your Volt+ and none that were solid state. I'm starting to see more and more people discover the inexpensive TPA amps. Hope to get the new power amp version of the Volt+ within the next couple of weeks and will be posting some impressions.

Great sounding amplification doesn't have to be expensive these days. I've heard few amps that could compete with the SQ of your Volt+ and none that were solid state. I'm starting to see more and more people discover the inexpensive TPA amps. Hope to get the new power amp version of the Volt+ within the next couple of weeks and will be posting some impressions.

No it doesn't. I have been through a lot of expensive and inexpensive equipment. I have heard a lot of expensive equipment. And I bet I could have an audiophile sit on my couch and listen to my set up and have a $1500 integrated amp in my stand not even connected and that person would believe they were listening to the $1500 integrated amp, not a $69 chip amp. It truly is that good. My 2 channel set up is simplistic. It's the VOLT +, The Yamaha WXC-50 Dac/Pre-amp, and Denon CD player which I use only as a transport to the Yamaha. I am completely happy with my system.

Yeah Poultrygeist,
You will have to let me know how that goes. Because I only need the power amp version. I use my Yamaha dac/pre-amp as volume control. So Amps are all I need. On my current Volt+ I have the volume control all the way up. I am real interested in the amp version. Anything different about them or are they exactly the same minus volume knob? Is the price different? Do you have a link.

I really don't know to what extent the power amp is different but can assume there may be some upgraded components. Unlike your completed Volt+ mine will come as a board amp with no wiring or case. It's not even showing on their website yet but I hope to get an early production unit to test.

I really don't know to what extent the power amp is different but can assume there may be some upgraded components. Unlike your completed Volt+ mine will come as a board amp with no wiring or case. It's not even showing on their website yet but I hope to get an early production unit to test.

Yeah, I was looking all over their website but couldn't find anything. I hope they come out with a version that has the case and is plug and play ready. Need another one for my theater room now.

I got an email yesterday, one pair of gently loved DW trade in's. Man I grabbed some cash boogied to the ATM, topped of the fun account, ran red lights to the house, jumped on the iPad and Gone.

Holy Shit I had the fever...LOL !

I got an email yesterday, one pair of gently loved DW trade in's. Man I grabbed some cash boogied to the ATM, topped of the fun account, ran red lights to the house, jumped on the iPad and Gone.

Holy Shit I had the fever...LOL !

I saw that email! I was thinking they’d be gone before I clicked thru the email, which I guess they were!

It looks similar to mine. The board looks bigger and there looks to be an on off switch now. How much better do you think this is this compared to what I currently own? What is the 20-26 gain db switch for?

I don't know but the new one has upgraded caps, all films in the signal path. Shortly I should have the Volt+D to compare to my Volt+. The gain switch allows for a more uniform control of the volume across the dial - a better impedance match. The double chip can make up to 60 watts with a higher power PSU which would be overkill for the Zu's.

Soooo, new speaker shopping in the next half a year or so. Trying to put together a shortlist, Zu definitely on there. What I don't quite get from reading the site and reading around is what the difference is between the DW and the regular Omen. Sure, the DW uses drivers pinched from trade-ins. But beyond that....anything significant that would explain the really significant price difference? Thanks in advance for setting me straight about all this

Soooo, new speaker shopping in the next half a year or so. Trying to put together a shortlist, Zu definitely on there. What I don't quite get from reading the site and reading around is what the difference is between the DW and the regular Omen. Sure, the DW uses drivers pinched from trade-ins. But beyond that....anything significant that would explain the really significant price difference? Thanks in advance for setting me straight about all this

They no longer use drivers from trade ins. New drivers in all DW's.

The differences listed on the site are:

Clarity Cap high pass filter in the Omen II
Engraved aluminum nameplate
Zu Mission cable inside
Zu-B3 input
metal/metal fasteners. Whatever that means.

The ZU connector is a proprietary type of speakon connector, I think.

And you can add the ClarityCap upgrade to the DW, which I did. Basically getting 90% of the regular Omen II. I don’t need special connector or feel the wiring and nameplate is worth $800 more.

Like Fred stated above. There is a chart at the bottom of the DW page that list all the differences

I don’t need special connector or feel the wiring and nameplate is worth $800 more.

That's pretty much what I was thinking too. With all the differences spelled out, I'm a good candidate for the DW. I understand that all those are upgrades, but not the kind I can get excited spending 800-ish on. I suppose one further advantage of the regular Omen is that a pair of those get made on a timetable the customer chooses rather than, like the DW, when the stars align. I'm going to give this upcoming July DW run and my bank account some careful thought... thanks all

Back
Top Bottom