Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekends

It’s gonna be a nice dirty weekend for me.

Letting them settle in with my Music Hall a15.3 while my MP-301 tube amp is getting upgraded. Also gonna let them play a day or 2 before I start to mess with positioning etc. need some wall art. Walls are bare. Just moved in 1 month ago. The Black Rustic Hickory is really nice. Great wood grain. Much better looking in person vs online. also got major WAF. She came home today and was like "wow those are awesome, didn't realize i'd like them so much" :D

D5523DB6-D965-4E9B-89A4-63C9E0558B0E.jpeg 40376D64-0321-4504-B0CB-1ECBF5C8C96C.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice looking speakers there. Those should be great with the MP. The Music Hall amp is no slouch either.

Thanks. Yes I can't wait to get my MP back, so far so good with the Music Hall, so I can only imagine pairing these babies up with the MP301. with my last set of speakers, the MH was nice, but the MP was great.

Gonna play around with placement. Are the bolts on bottom adjustable to rake them back? They came with spikes but I'm on hard floor.

Also the picture makes me think I need a bigger TV to even things out now that the speakers are here :D

And you can add the ClarityCap upgrade to the DW, which I did. Basically getting 90% of the regular Omen II. I don’t need special connector or feel the wiring and nameplate is worth $800 more.

Like Fred stated above. There is a chart at the bottom of the DW page that list all the differences

Which I added on my second pair of DW's. It will be interesting to hear the difference between the regular DW's and the clarity cap modded DW's as I will own a set of both now. I don't see the value in paying for the regular Omen II's. If I were to move up in the ZU speaker line, I would skip that model to the Omen Def or something in that range.

It’s gonna be a nice dirty weekend for me.

Letting them settle in with my Music Hall a15.3 while my MP-301 tube amp is getting upgraded. Also gonna let them play a day or 2 before I start to mess with positioning etc. need some wall art. Walls are bare. Just moved in 1 month ago. The Black Rustic Hickory is really nice. Great wood grain. Much better looking in person vs online. also got major WAF. She came home today and was like "wow those are awesome, didn't realize i'd like them so much" :D

View attachment 1176204 View attachment 1176205

Nice and clean looking set up! I like it a lot! Did you get those DW's raised off the floor?

Which I added on my second pair of DW's. It will be interesting to hear the difference between the regular DW's and the clarity cap modded DW's as I will own a set of both now. I don't see the value in paying for the regular Omen II's. If I were to move up in the ZU speaker line, I would skip that model to the Omen Def or something in that range.

Looking forward to hear your impression of the difference.

i told myself i wouldn't tweak around with positioning, tilt, toe-in, etc until i got my tube amp back, but i couldn't resist.

The DW's are very sensitive to placement, and once dialed in, WOW, the speakers disappear, and the imaging is insane

For any who are keeping track, there's a new DW review (and an interesting one I thought) over at Dagogo:

https://www.dagogo.com/zu-audio-omen-dirty-weekend-speakers-review/

Thanks for the link. I agree with a lot of what he said even though I don’t have near as much expensive equipment as he does.

With great recordings the sound is amazing. With bad or just ok recordings sometimes I feel the need to tweak the eq a bit in software.

My problem lately has been I’ve been adding new stuff to my system at a high rate and having evaluated single component changes. I’ve been rolling tubes and added a new DAC and playing with filters. It’s all fun but I need to let some things stick around for a while. Needless to say the sound is constantly changing on me. But I’m glad the DW’s reveal enough to show these changes.

I’ve proposed the question. Would you rather have speakers that’s ok-good at everything or GREAT with very good recordings and just ok with bad ones?

Thanks for the link. I agree with a lot of what he said even though I don’t have near as much expensive equipment as he does.

With great recordings the sound is amazing. With bad or just ok recordings sometimes I feel the need to tweak the eq a bit in software.

My problem lately has been I’ve been adding new stuff to my system at a high rate and having evaluated single component changes. I’ve been rolling tubes and added a new DAC and playing with filters. It’s all fun but I need to let some things stick around for a while. Needless to say the sound is constantly changing on me. But I’m glad the DW’s reveal enough to show these changes.

I’ve proposed the question. Would you rather have speakers that’s ok-good at everything or GREAT with very good recordings and just ok with bad ones?
They're not "just ok" with bad recordings, they're also great with bad recordings. The problem resides in the bad recordings themselves, the speakers are doing a great job in revealing the fact that they're bad. :cool:

They're not "just ok" with bad recordings, they're also great with bad recordings. The problem resides in the bad recordings themselves, the speakers are doing a great job in revealing the fact that they're bad. :cool:

You knew what I meant :D

Back
Top Bottom