Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekends

Thanks for the link. I agree with a lot of what he said even though I don’t have near as much expensive equipment as he does.

With great recordings the sound is amazing. With bad or just ok recordings sometimes I feel the need to tweak the eq a bit in software.

My problem lately has been I’ve been adding new stuff to my system at a high rate and having evaluated single component changes. I’ve been rolling tubes and added a new DAC and playing with filters. It’s all fun but I need to let some things stick around for a while. Needless to say the sound is constantly changing on me. But I’m glad the DW’s reveal enough to show these changes.

I’ve proposed the question. Would you rather have speakers that’s ok-good at everything or GREAT with very good recordings and just ok with bad ones?

It was a good review. Like you said, I agree with some not all.
Thanks for the link. I agree with a lot of what he said even though I don’t have near as much expensive equipment as he does.

With great recordings the sound is amazing. With bad or just ok recordings sometimes I feel the need to tweak the eq a bit in software.

My problem lately has been I’ve been adding new stuff to my system at a high rate and having evaluated single component changes. I’ve been rolling tubes and added a new DAC and playing with filters. It’s all fun but I need to let some things stick around for a while. Needless to say the sound is constantly changing on me. But I’m glad the DW’s reveal enough to show these changes.

I’ve proposed the question. Would you rather have speakers that’s ok-good at everything or GREAT with very good recordings and just ok with bad ones?

Agree, great recordings sound amazing, good recordings sound great and mediocre recordings are still good but obviously these speakers reveal the flaws in bad recordings. I am completely fine living with that. 95% of what I listen to sounds pretty freaking fantastic!

I guess there are some who have to add equipment, roll tubes, get new dac's and so on. Good luck, hope you get it dialed in eventually where you don't have to keep spending money or time to get it right. Me on the other hand am at a point where I don't have to do anything. I am 100% completely satisfied with my system. Makes it hard while I am at work because until I got this set up, I spent time researching and reading reviews on equipment. Now, I no longer have to do that so am bored during my down time. LOL For the first time in a VERY long time, I am no longer chasing the perfect equipment or worry about tweaking anything. I just sit back and enjoy the music, I no longer listen to the equipment. And in my opinion, that's what this is all about. Also, my philosophy, is simplicity is best. Going all the way back to my car audio days. Less things to tweak, roll, and put in the signal path is the way to go. My two channel rig is pretty simple. Denon cd player that I use as a transport to my Yamaha dac/streamer, to my dual RSL Speedwoofer 10's, to my $69 ALLO VOLT+ digital amp to the DW's. That's it. And I couldn't be happier.

Looks like mine will be delivered tomorrow. Excited to try them out. Also interested in whether the upgraded caps make a big difference - keep us posted, @HiFiJeff.

AWESOME! I know the anticipation. Just take the day off from work. :)

What finish did you get?

And I will for sure keep you informed about if I feel the clarity caps are worth the upgrade. I mean I am not expecting some huge night and day difference in the sonic characteristics between the upgrade and non upgraded version but even if there is a small, marginal difference in sound quality, $100 is worth the upgrade. I am still a ways out though. Probably won't get them until mid summer or so. It's not like I don't already own a pair of DW's. :) So not hurting.
And that speaks volumes right there. Not EVER, have I bought the same speaker twice! And I have purchased many, many, many speakers in my years of this hobby.

I
Looks like mine will be delivered tomorrow. Excited to try them out. Also interested in whether the upgraded caps make a big difference - keep us posted, @HiFiJeff.

I got the upgraded caps but have no idea if they sound better since I’ve never heard them without :)

But for $100 I though why not.

Worked from home. Was quite busy. Then the UPS guy showed up around 5 p.m. carrying two huge boxes. I gave him a bottle of water, took the boxes from him, and voila. Haven't even come close to dialing them in yet - I basically just plopped in the general area they'll go in and wired them up - but sha-damn. Still looking for something to pop under the cabinets to lift them up a little.

IMG_20180524_173332.jpg IMG_20180524_173256.jpg

Last edited:
Those look really nice. The cherry was a great choice. Zu could do a better job photographing their speakers in the different finishes they offer on the website--they're undercutting themselves by not showing all the different ways their speakers can look really good.

Thanks. Yeah, happy with how the cherry veneer came out.
So far have listened to some Kinks, Leonard Cohen and now Sonny Clark. These things wipe the floor with the Tekton Mini Lores I had tried before. I had worried that my flea-watt amp would be too flea watt for 'em, but if anything I've had to turn the volume down at times. First impression is they've a similar sound signature to the NS-690s, just...more so. Definitely more forward. Dynamics are obviously a strength. Sound stage is very nice and effortless - these speakers do get out of the way. They actually do piano really well.

More thoughts as they come. But I think the Yammies are going on Barter Town....

Those look really nice. The cherry was a great choice. Zu could do a better job photographing their speakers in the different finishes they offer on the website--they're undercutting themselves by not showing all the different ways their speakers can look really good.

P6130001.jpg I agree the Omen in the middle is not plain black it's ghost black. Impossible to see in my low res photo but if viewed in person you might appreciate the dark gray swirls that look like smoke.

After listening for a few more days, a few thoughts:
I like the tone of these. Instruments have a little more meat on their bones than they did with the Yamahas. Someone who came by to audition the Yamahas yesterday also listened to the Zu's and said the latter sounded "sweeter" (i.e., warmer). The Zu bass is extended and quick, the high end is detailed. The mid-lows sound fantastic - piano and drums really please my ears on these, and with the DW's dynamics they have an attack that I hadn't heard in the Yamahas. (Having said all that, the overall sound of the two amps are very similar, which for some reason surprised me. Yesterday's auditioner commented on the fact as well).

However....

I'm having a problem with the high-mids. The speakers' overall forwardness is something my ears are slowly adapting to. But there's a certain patch of frequencies that pop out so much it can grate. It usually occurs when a horn is blown with force at high-mid notes, something that, yeah, happens a lot on my jazz records. I think the problem is my listening room size - the DWs fill up the space, and when those notes come in they just pack too much of a wallop for near-field listening. I can see this not being a problem if this were a bigger room.

Then again, maybe I just need to turn the sound down.

Will keep making adjustments and report back.

Last edited:
Status report:

I don't know if it's placement tweeks I made, speaker "burn in" or my ears/brain having adjusted, but that problem with the mid-highs has rectified itself. These are still relatively forward speakers, but no longer "punch-you-in-the-ears" in that one patch of frequencies. Sold the Yammies, keeping these. The DWs are definitely worth the money.

Joining the club!
The Cornwall chase proved frustrating to an annoying degree.
So close to buying KEF LS50's (minutes from hitting "buy" button)
Checked Zu Audio site one last time .... no info on next run.
Clicked on "preloved"
These were not there yesterday.
Dirty Weekend in Electric Blue !!!
Mine ... order just confirmed!

Will mate with PrimaLuna Prologue Five, Aragon 28k pre, Music Hall mmf-9 and Rega Apollo ....
..... my formerly vintage main system is now pretty damn near all "newer" gear!

Joining the club!
The Cornwall chase proved frustrating to an annoying degree.
So close to buying KEF LS50's (minutes from hitting "buy" button)
Checked Zu Audio site one last time .... no info on next run.
Clicked on "preloved"
These were not there yesterday.
Dirty Weekend in Electric Blue !!!
Mine ... order just confirmed!

Will mate with PrimaLuna Prologue Five, Aragon 28k pre, Music Hall mmf-9 and Rega Apollo ....
..... my formerly vintage main system is now pretty damn near all "newer" gear!

So glad you didn't click that "buy" button. I seriously don't understand what all the hype is on the LS50's. My friend has a pair and I have inserted them into different systems I have had, including my current set up. They are good speakers but in my opinion nothing special. And once again, just my opinion, the ZU's blow them away. My friend was like I want my system to sound like yours.

And the electric blue is a beautiful finish. I have an order in for a second pair same color with the clarity cap upgrade.

Good choice Buckstir!

In my confirming e-mail from Gerrit.
Mine are 6 month old trade ins ... Mkii's ... standard caps.
They shipped already ... same day as ordered.

Next run of DW's will be July 4.

Just curious as to why you suggested this over the ALLO VOLT+D? You're all about the Allo. :)

Back
Top Bottom