Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekends

Being autistic blurs the line between obvious and oblivious.
Can I have the bumper sticker please, make the 'l' in oblivious blurry.

Last edited:
Being a Zu Omens Fan for a few years now I have found that they sound best with tubes. And I use a Musical paradise MP301 with mine.
Funny thing I had the JBL L110 speakers hooked up and my wife walked into the room and said that sounds like crap. Please hook up the Zu's they are my favorite speakers.
So this weekend guess what I'm doing . I have missed my Zu's.

Being a Zu Omens Fan for a few years now I have found that they sound best with tubes. And I use a Musical paradise MP301 with mine.
Funny thing I had the JBL L110 speakers hooked up and my wife walked into the room and said that sounds like crap. Please hook up the Zu's they are my favorite speakers.
So this weekend guess what I'm doing . I have missed my Zu's.

That MP301 looks pretty nice and gets some great reviews. I want to play around with some tube amps now that I have the ZU's. Oh wait, are we still not allowed to talk about amplification in this thread? Ok fine.

ZU Audio Dirty Weekends are the best!

Welcome to the club @buckstir !

Also pre-orders for new round start this Tuesday! So if anyone has been wanting a pair pull the trigger Tuesday to get first dibs. I waited 2 weeks after preorder and waited 8 weeks

When I bought my Zu's locally I talked to Sean at Zu and he's word's from he's own mouth was 6.5 watts Damit man . And now I see why. I have owned a lot of gear over the years and Zu's sound best with tubes. And 6.5 watts does just find for me.

When I bought my Zu's locally I talked to Sean at Zu and he's word's from he's own mouth was 6.5 watts Damit man . And now I see why. I have owned a lot of gear over the years and Zu's sound best with tubes. And 6.5 watts does just find for me.

So did that mean that Sean approved of 6.5 watts or that he was like no give the ZU's more power? Need some clarity.

But I would assume that 6.5 watts of power for these DW's would be plenty power as well. This 301 looks like a seriously legit piece of fine audio amplification.

My Decware Mini Torii tops out at ~4 watts/channel and have had no problem with my turntable, tuner or DAC. I sometimes consider replacing it with a Decware Rachael (6wpc) for that wattage "boost" and because it has a hi/lo impedance speaker switch, but it's not really necessary at all.

My Decware Mini Torii tops out at ~4 watts/channel and have had no problem with my turntable, tuner or DAC. I sometimes consider replacing it with a Decware Rachael (6wpc) for that wattage "boost" and because it has a hi/lo impedance speaker switch, but it's not really necessary at all.
4 watts vs 6 watts - you'd never know the difference

Yeah. Maybe I'll just jump the Rachel and go right for the Torii , if I can find one used for a good price. No hurry, though. Right now listening to Cachao on vinyl on my DWs and loving it.

One thing I’ve found out after having lived with the Omens for a couple of months is that when you change amps....especially when going from SS to tubes, you have to fool around with the port/distance from the floor. When I first got the Omens, I hooked them up to a solid state amp, tweaked the port/floor distance for the best sound and then let them burn in. After a week I switched in some tube amps and was a little disappointed. While my Omegas rose to a new level with a good tube amp, with the Zus I just thought “meh”

It wasn’t until a few weeks later that I figured maybe I needed to adjust the speakers when I changed amps. Wow, it made a world of difference. Just something to think about...with these speakers, you cant just put a new amp in without adjusting them.

I'll head it back ....
Ordered on Tuesday.
Unboxed and cranked up on Thursday night.
Not one cosmetic flaw I can find.
Beautiful finish.
Spikes on front and bolts set low in back. Tilt looks good.
"Preloved" ... so no break-in.
Immediate grin! ... these sound really ****'in good.
Vocals, drums are clear and not recessed.
Bass is a pleasant surprise ... sub left unplugged and will not be needed.
Started with some James Taylor. Wife approved. Frank Zappa next on the menu for a full workout.
Sound is concise and has punch .... the way I prefer.
Bass, to repeat ... is stellar.
Sold my ADS L1290's and two fun little kayaks to procure these.
Zero regrets so far.

View attachment 1206837
View attachment 1206839
View attachment 1206840
Those look great, even in blue, which surprises me. I like the ZU style.

One thing I’ve found out after having lived with the Omens for a couple of months is that when you change amps....especially when going from SS to tubes, you have to fool around with the port/distance from the floor. When I first got the Omens, I hooked them up to a solid state amp, tweaked the port/floor distance for the best sound and then let them burn in. After a week I switched in some tube amps and was a little disappointed. While my Omegas rose to a new level with a good tube amp, with the Zus I just thought “meh”

It wasn’t until a few weeks later that I figured maybe I needed to adjust the speakers when I changed amps. Wow, it made a world of difference. Just something to think about...with these speakers, you cant just put a new amp in without adjusting them.

Yeah. This living room system is absolutely perfect and I have it dialed in just right. The only change I might make to it is stepping up from the normal Volt+ to the Volt+D. Sitting here listening to some Jane's Addiction right now and I have a giant grin on my face. I came close to max volume on the Volt. Didn't reach it but got close. So with that being said, I don't think that I will go tube amp even with my second system and set of Dirty Weekends. Maybe Poultry can chime in but I think my current Volt+ is pushing over 20 watts per channel. So 6.5 watts might not cut it for me. I still might go tube but jump up to the MP-401.

I'll head it back ....
Ordered on Tuesday.
Unboxed and cranked up on Thursday night.
Not one cosmetic flaw I can find.
Beautiful finish.
Spikes on front and bolts set low in back. Tilt looks good.
"Preloved" ... so no break-in.
Immediate grin! ... these sound really ****'in good.
Vocals, drums are clear and not recessed.
Bass is a pleasant surprise ... sub left unplugged and will not be needed.
Started with some James Taylor. Wife approved. Frank Zappa next on the menu for a full workout.
Sound is concise and has punch .... the way I prefer.
Bass, to repeat ... is stellar.
Sold my ADS L1290's and two fun little kayaks to procure these.
Zero regrets so far.

View attachment 1206837
View attachment 1206839
View attachment 1206840

How are you enjoying your ZU's? A couple of things I wanted to bring up to you. What kind of sub do you have? Because you are correct. The bass on these Dirty Weekends is stellar. Quick, accurate, punchy and dynamic. Love it. However when I added dual Speedwoofer 10S's to my system it launched my musical enjoyment to an entirely different level. I have been playing around today and listening to music with both the subs on and off and I am telling you, it's a night and day difference with the subs in the mix. I won't ever listen to my system without them. They blend perfectly with the ZU's. Fast, articulate and they punch you in the chest.

Back
Top Bottom