Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekends

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by gguillot, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Smitty43

Smitty43 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Been watching this thread for a while and I've been a Zu fan for a few years now and I have used a Musical paradise mp301 mk 3 and now out of retirement is the Yaqin MC13s . And yes I love everything the Omens do music wise and this coming from a person that has used Legacy HD monitors and JBL 110s . Funny story my wife had one of her friends over the other night and I thought she would never leave my room. 15304730330017466507169188031603.jpg

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Sound Dragon

Sound Dragon Yawns and sets his couch on fire! Subscriber

I may ask for a pair of Dirty Weekends for Christmas! I get to him and haw over wether to get them in blue or red! They look fantastic and am encouraged by all the good reviews they are getting from my fellow Akers.

3. Smitty43

Smitty43 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I remember my first email to Sean and ask if 6.5 watts was enough to power the ZUs and his reply was holy crap that's enough to wake up the entire neighborhood LOL. You having a block party LOL!!

4. Poultrygeist

Poultrygeist Lunatic Member

Smitty, where do you live in SC?

5. Bowerss2

Bowerss2 New Member

My Sx980 that is driving them is 80 watt per channel. Looking at the meaters i usually peak them around 4-10 watts, depending on the music I am listening to.

I also just paird them with a sub, which I am loving. I don't like too much bass, just wanted to prop up the bottom. For subs I like not knowing they are on, unless you suddenly switch them off.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    fredgarvin likes this.
  6. EMack

EMack New Member

Yes, my DW's are connected to my Devialet Expert Pro CI, which is pushing 130W. Its the best combo I have ever owned, and I'm very happy with both. That said, I just got a great deal on a Manley Labs Stingray iTube which is a tube amp with 40W in Ultralinear mode, and I'm very anxious to compare and contrast the Dev and the Stingray.... Class A/D vs classic EL84 tube amp

7. Drugolf

Drugolf AK Subscriber Subscriber

there is a pair listed here for $1k, never been used. Finish is the red maple I think.

8. whoopycat

whoopycat New Member

Hello Dirty Weekend-ers,

Zu fan here, happy to see a robust discussion about Omen DW's. I've had mine about a year, and I've had two pairs of Zus in my home at any given time for about 3.5 years.

It's cool to see some different finishes in this thread... black hickory, cherry, the new electric blue... love it! My Omen DW's are a gorgeous highly figured hickory that Zu did a run of last year, with black ano driver rings/lenses. Looks wise, my favorite speakers ever.

Regarding Clarity Cap upgrade, two words: do it. Better upper mids, more open, less grainy treble.

Regarding APPJ mini2013 massdrop amp, two words: buy it! LOL, I've used this amp for about 3 years with my Zu DefHeads in my bedroom. To my ears sounds sublime and has won or tied every shootout with every pricey amp I've dragged upstairs to go against it.

Anyway, back to the Omen DW... love them. They compare very favorably to Zu's upscale models, in fact they kicked my Superflys out of the house. Not as much resolution or attack or speed as the 16 ohm models, but the Omen DWs are less fussy about recordings and amps, and I find myself focusing less on my hifi when playing the Omens vs the Superflys.

Someday I will own a pair of Druids. Until then I'm happy to roll with the Dirty Weekends.

kray, EMack, Smitty43 and 1 other person like this.
  9. L-82

L-82 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yes my Zu’s are powered by Mcintosh 2105 rates at 105 wpc ;) no worries

10. Drumsbanger

Drumsbanger New Member

I ordered the Dirty Weekends. I am very anxious to receive them after reading so many glowing reviews. They will be run on a Decware Torri MK IV (25 watts/channel) tube amp. Some say that you either love them or hate them.

11. Poultrygeist

The $99 price for the APPJ just ended but if enough people make a request it will return.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/appj-m...&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius

12. whoopycat

whoopycat New Member

Usually I power my Omens with a SPEC RSA-717EX 50W class D amp from Japan. I love this amp, completely grain free and smooth.

It's the baby brother of the amp reviewed here:
    https://positive-feedback.com/Issue78/spec_realsound.htm

So yes, I am using an amp that cost 3 times as much as the speakers.

13. HiFiJeff

HiFiJeff Well-Known Member

Well that is most certainly great news to hear. Pretty much the exact same thing Gerrit at ZU told me. Which makes me happy because Gerrit also informed me that my Electric Blue DW's with the clarity cap upgrade are packaged up and ready to be shipped. Didn't get the clarity cap upgrade on my first pair of DW's so I figured what the heck. Let's get another pair. Lol

darkblue94 likes this.
  14. whoopycat

whoopycat New Member

Nice. Btw, the Clarity Cap upgrade is super easy to install yourself, if you ever want to put them in your first pair.

Also, for you Decware fans, a Decware ZROCK2 will multiply the fun factor of your Omen DWs.

darkblue94 likes this.
  15. HiFiJeff

HiFiJeff Well-Known Member

Yeah. Just wanted to do some comparisons and will most likely do the upgrade on my first pair.

And what's up with the ZROCK2? Elaborate. I love Decware. Had a Super Zen not too long ago.

16. Poultrygeist

The ZROCK looks like an equalizer with a tube added. As much as I love his amps Steve comes up with some very questionable products which come and go. I had no problem integrating a sub with the Zu's.

17. whoopycat

whoopycat New Member

Yes, it's a tube bass EQ device. You can use it to add low end bass extension, or change the EQ slope to a warmer sound, fully adjustable. Makes a huge difference with digital, it adds weight and body to the sound. IMO it sounds much better than either a loudness button or a sub. I auditioned a Zu Undertone once and I prefer both the sound and simplicity of the ZROCK ten times out of ten.

18. Poultrygeist

With a good system I would avoid adding another device to the all important signal path. More often than not that extra device will impart it's own signature to the sound.

darkblue94 and Pio1980 like this.
  19. whoopycat

whoopycat New Member

Well that's kind of the point, isn't it? ;)

I don't buy that logic though. By that reasoning, we should ditch all outboard phono stages, separate preamps/amps, DACs, and subwoofers, because that's a lot of extra interconnects, digital cables, power cables, capacitors, subwoofer amps and power supplies affecting the signal. You don't listen to a signal, you listen to a system. The system is the sound.

To your point, if it's not needed, then that's great. I don't use the ZROCK with my vinyl setup, but it makes a nice difference on my digital setup. I have 3 amps I rotate in with the DW's, and the benefits of the ZROCK varies with each, so I have to adjust its settings accordingly, so obviously YMMV also. The ZROCK is definitely a "salt to taste" kind of product. That said, I will never go back to a subwoofer after using it.

And on my bedroom rig, I just go CD player -> APPJ amp -> Zu DefHeads. Simplicity!

Cheers!

20. Poultrygeist

The signal path is from the amp to the speakers.