Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekends

I

I too got the upgrade bug, hints why I bought that center channel speaker. :)
I might have heard that ZU Soul MKII at RMAF but I am not sure. I have heard a lot of ZU speakers. Why stop there, just get the Definition and be done already. Only $16,000 for a base pair. :)

Congrats, man! I have a pair of DefHeads in my bedroom. They are hands down the best speakers I've ever heard. I don't wish for a subwoofer with them, ever.

So getting the upgrade bug..... Has anyone who has the DW's heard or own the Zu Soul MKII?

I have not heard Soul Mk2. I did have Superflys for a few years. Overall I prefer the big warm tone of Omen DW to Superfly. Superfly is not as amp friendly as Omen, but I see you run vintage Sansui's, which I also do, and it sounds great with both Superfly and Omen DW. Superfly puts out some of the best bass I've ever heard but I just like the tone of Omen more and IMO its bass is close to Superfly.

Post #85 shows they way my Omens were set up to sound their best i.e. elevated so bottom ports can breathe for less bass congestion and with a back tilt to aim the tweeters at your ears.

Poultry, did you ever order the tube adapters for your APPJ amp? If so, how do you like running EL90's?

I have not heard Soul Mk2. I did have Superflys for a few years. Overall I prefer the big warm tone of Omen DW to Superfly. Superfly is not as amp friendly as Omen, but I see you run vintage Sansui's, which I also do, and it sounds great with both Superfly and Omen DW. Superfly puts out some of the best bass I've ever heard but I just like the tone of Omen more and IMO its bass is close to Superfly.

That’s what I am learning. Even emailed Zu about it and answer was very similar to yours but said Souls would have less bass than DW’s. As much as I was enticed I feel the DW sound profile still suits my style (compared to Souls)

That’s what I am learning. Even emailed Zu about it and answer was very similar to yours but said Souls would have less bass than DW’s. As much as I was enticed I feel the DW sound profile still suits my style (compared to Souls)

IMO, the DW’s are as close to a perfect ,does everything real good kind of speaker. I have NO desire to upgrade to something else. I have been an owner of DW’s for over a year now, and they aren’t going anywhere. I was kidding about the upgraditis. Lol. I just needed a center channel and that amazing opportunity presented itself. I am scared though that this center might be so good it’s going to make me want to buy two more though. Lol:)

Congrats, man! I have a pair of DefHeads in my bedroom. They are hands down the best speakers I've ever heard. I don't wish for a subwoofer with them, ever.

You have the same speaker just as a stereo set in your bedroom? I would LOVE to hear a pair! What finish? Can you take a picture?

That is so cool looking! :thumbsup:

Thanks. It’s such a nice speaker. The fit and finish is top notch. Very high quality. I am currently having my painter match that color paint to paint the inside of my tray ceiling. Outline is Electric Blue to match my DW’s and the inside will be that Ceramic Gloss Ferrari Red to match the center.

C6FA3B55-B59C-4C31-A487-2A3BD92159F4.jpeg E7968463-950D-4EF5-A09D-473951E14535.jpeg 198FDFA9-7F55-4F77-AF79-B53EF0A7192C.jpeg 8931A098-B139-4A4B-9468-015692F5E73D.jpeg EDB4A707-8ADD-4A8E-A5E3-2725C170147F.jpeg 7C80CF1B-DB11-4709-9FCD-1E165BDF1C39.jpeg 56629E37-663C-4826-93A6-3559306FABAD.jpeg I don’t know if I ever showed you guys pictures of the DW’s and DW’s with the clarity cap upgrade. I actually like the finish on my first pair more than the finish on my upgraded ones. It’s just a deeper more lush and more saturated paint job.

View attachment 1447830 View attachment 1447831 View attachment 1447832 View attachment 1447833 View attachment 1447834 View attachment 1447835 View attachment 1447836 I don’t know if I ever showed you guys pictures of the DW’s and DW’s with the clarity cap upgrade. I actually like the finish on my first pair more than the finish on my upgraded ones. It’s just a deeper more lush and more saturated paint job.

Both look great but personally I like the less saturated finish as I like the way it makes the maple figuring pop more. It looks really stunning that way with the Ghost Black finish.

You have the same speaker just as a stereo set in your bedroom? I would LOVE to hear a pair! What finish? Can you take a picture?

Here you go... mine are finished in honey walnut, which I like a lot more than the American walnut Zu uses now. The honey walnut is a little brighter and has a little more flamey figuring in the wood.

Also included a close up of "Bugle Boy". 3 watts drives these to sonic perfection.

IMG_1195.JPG IMG_1196.JPG IMG_1197.JPG

Both look great but personally I like the less saturated finish as I like the way it makes the maple figuring pop more. It looks really stunning that way with the Ghost Black finish.

I do like seeing the grain. They both look nice but still like the richer finish.

Bought my first set today in Rustic Hickory with the cap upgrade. Looking forward to hearing these, my brother has a set that he raves about! It will be nice to compare them to all my vintage speaker options.

Bought my first set today in Rustic Hickory with the cap upgrade. Looking forward to hearing these, my brother has a set that he raves about! It will be nice to compare them to all my vintage speaker options.

It must be National Buy New Speakers Day or something. I just ordered a pair of Magnepan LRS's!

I mention this because you own some 2.7's.

But the ZU's are good! Real good! I LOVE my ZU's!

Back
Top Bottom