Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekends

I love the blue too. They are meant for my theater room but I might just keep them in my living room and get another set of blue ones. These things are ridiculously good! I am hearing some nuances in music I didn't even realize was there.

Wonder how much better they would sound if I hooked up a high quality 2 channel amplifier to the pre-outs on my Marantz.

Wonder how much better they would sound if I hooked up a high quality 2 channel amplifier to the pre-outs on my Marantz.

I'll be hooking up to dedicated 2 channel system. Music Hall a15.3 Integrated amp using highly upgraded Tube DAC. we'll have to compare sometime since we're so close.

The picture of how I set up the Zu's vanished so here it is again. The bottom finger ports need room to breathe and a rear tilt aims the tweeter at your ears.

P3140003.jpg

The picture of how I set up the Zu's vanished so here it is again. The bottom finger ports need room to breathe and a rear tilt aims the tweeter at your ears.

View attachment 1130000

Is that a piece of tile its setting on?

Mine are sitting on some sandstone coasters right now. I do have them leaning slightly back to aim the tweeter more at me.

I think I actually have some tile in my garage that I might lay on the floor then put the spikes on it as well.

Granite tile with a rubber fiber mat underneath. You wouldn't need the mat on carpet.

I replaced the factory spikes with partially threaded carriage bolts from Home Depot. Shorter ones in the back and longer ones in front to get the back tilt. Plastic caps cover the bolt heads.

The ports on Zu speakers are on the bottom and the closer they are to the floor the more the bass will suffer. The factory recommendation for distance from the speaker bottom to the floor "is just high

enough to slide a CD case underneath". This doesn't jive with what I learned from experimenting.

Granite tile with a rubber fiber mat underneath. You wouldn't need the mat on carpet.

I replaced the factory spikes with partially threaded carriage bolts from Home Depot. Shorter ones in the back and longer ones in front to get the back tilt. Plastic caps cover the bolt heads.

The ports on Zu speakers are on the bottom and the closer they are to the floor the more the bass will suffer. The factory recommendation for distance from the speaker bottom to the floor "is just high

enough to slide a CD case underneath". This doesn't jive with what I learned from experimenting.

I started them out just sitting on the carpet and then when I put the coasters underneath them bass dramatically improved. But I am going to take your advice and go to Home Depot for some diffent length bolts.

You and I have talked for a long time and you have seen my systems go from Tekton M-Lores and a Fleawatt Class D amp to Omega 3XRS's and Decware SE84 UFO. I am still holding my complete thoughts on my new ZU's until I do a lot more listening and letting them break in. But if they just get better with time and proper set up, this could be the BEST speaker I have ever owned and I have owned a lot of speakers.

What size are the bolts you are using?

I don't recall. Take one of the spikes with you and match the thread. I bought several lengths and experimented to get the best tilt and height. Look for the bolts that are only partially threaded like the large one in the picture that way the threaded part won't show. I suspect Zu buys carriage bolts and grinds them down to make their spikes.

378164381_100.jpg

I don't recall. Take one of the spikes with you and match the thread. I bought several lengths and experimented to get the best tilt and height. Look for the bolts that are only partially threaded like the large one in the picture that way the threaded part won't show. I suspect Zu buys carriage bolts and grinds them down to make their spikes.

378164381_100.jpg

Would you suggest buying something like the Subdude Auralex and standing the speaker on that with the bolts?

View attachment 1130000

Also, as you see, I have a basic Marantz NR-1508 For my AVR/Processor It has pre-outs for the left and right channels. Would you suggest a nice amp to use to get even more performance out of the ZU'S?

I can't say if those isolation pads would make a difference with the Zu's but if they don't you can always return them to Amazon for a refund.

I had too much bass bounce with my OB's until I went with these rubber and fiber mats from Home Depot.

P1010019 2.jpg

Also, as you see, I have a basic Marantz NR-1508 For my AVR/Processor It has pre-outs for the left and right channels. Would you suggest a nice amp to use to get even more performance out of the ZU'S?

Jeff,

Before buying anything I'd spend lots of time listening with the amp(s) you have. I'd love to hear the Zu's powered by your Decware. I liked mine driven by a 2a3 but a 300B could be the ticket. Another far less expensive option would be this Volt+ which has more power and incredible SET-like SQ.

https://allo.com/sparky/volt-plus-stepped-attenuator.html

Back
Top Bottom