Zu Audio speakers and accessories

Some of you might be surprised how many drivers don't measure up to their advertised specs. Can't say those companies are thrown under the bus over at DIYaudio or the PE forum.

If you ever read my posts in speakers, you'll routinely see me mentioning how some drivers don't meet specs. Tang Band, Fostex, and Hi-Vi being the brands that I've had the worst luck with. None of them have been a problem, per se, but they routinely miss the mark. Some brands like Peerless, Audax, Vifa, Scanspeak, SEAS, Skaaning, and Morel have always met published specs in my measurements. Although, we should probably move this to another thread to avoid upsetting people.

Last edited:
Back to the Zu's.

The way these Omens are set up is not what the company recommended.

Zu recommends raising the bottom finger ports just high enough from the floor to slide a CD case underneath and their short standard spikes hardly allow for any more.

Bottom ported speakers can be a pita but after much trial and error the Omens improved greatly by creating more breathing space for those finger ports. I used longer lag bolts than the stock spikes to gain distance from the floor which opened up the sound. Using slightly shorter lag bolts in the rear aimed the tweeter at the ear rather than at the belt buckle. Using a ribbed mat underneath also helped.

If I had only listened to the Zu's plopped down in a hotel meeting room I probably would have passed on them. This is one speaker that requires great care in set up but more importantly it takes living with a pair before they can be fully appreciated for what they are.

I believe that may be one reason for such polar opposite opinions. Casual or one time listeners seem to have negative opinions while owners with long term exposure are far more likely to embrace them.

It takes time for one's ears to adjust to what wide band speakers do so well.

P6030043.jpg

Back to the Zu's.

The way these Omens are set up is not what the company recommended.

Zu recommends raising the bottom finger ports just high enough from the floor to slide a CD case underneath and their short standard spikes hardly allow for any more.

Bottom ported speakers can be a pita but after much trial and error the Omens improved greatly by creating more breathing space for those finger ports. I used longer lag bolts than the stock spikes to gain distance from the floor which opened up the sound. Using slightly shorter lag bolts in the rear aimed the tweeter at the ear rather than at the belt buckle. Using a ribbed mat underneath also helped.

If I had only listened to the Zu's plopped down in a hotel meeting room I probably would have passed on them. This is one speaker that requires great care in set up but more importantly it takes living with a pair before they can be fully appreciated for what they are.

I believe that may be one reason for such polar opposite opinions. Casual or one time listeners seem to have negative opinions while owners with long term exposure are far more likely to embrace them.

It takes time for one's ears to adjust to what wide band speakers do so well.

P6030043.jpg

Poultry

I'm using your method also and the sound is excellent. I'm upgrading the cap this weekend to the Clarity MR.

Attachments

• 20141216_164235_resized.jpg
    20141216_164235_resized.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 23
Poultry

I'm using your method also and the sound is excellent. I'm upgrading the cap this weekend to the Clarity MR.

Glad it's working for you. :thmbsp:

I'd expect that adding the Clarity cap to that simple crossover will make an audible improvement.

Back
Top Bottom