Zu Audio Speakers...Not a Discussion!

I've heard Zu Speakers are awesome for listening to quietly...

Can anyone confirm this??? I suppose it has to do with that high efficiency...
I listen at 75db to 80db. Bass and dynamics are strong and satisfying. Less than 75db runs into Fletcher-Munson. Amps are Rogue Audio Atlas Magnum (kt120) and 99 Magnum. Room is 16x19, listening to both kinds of music, that is, Rhythm and Blues.

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro
IMG_0601%20music%20room_zpsvsavrikn.jpg~original

I use my Zu Omen with a Mcintosh mc2105 that pumps out 105 Watts +++ and they sound great... no need for a tube amp. I do have a tube amp that I use one in a while, with the Mcintosh the sound has a lot more mass.

I Always wondered why most speaker manufacturers always choose crossover points in the most critical and sensitive listening ranges, Zu is a very smart design, a design I have often wondered about, that is, choosing a much higher crossover point, so the low, mids, and high mids, have no crossover, thus putting more range on 1 driver, and then adding a crossover point only on the very high end, where we expect a change naturally to happen anyway. Excellent work and thanks for the "out of the norm" engineering and perfect results Zu audio !!:thumbsup:

I Always wondered why most speaker manufacturers always choose crossover points in the most critical and sensitive listening ranges, Zu is a very smart design, a design I have often wondered about, that is, choosing a much higher crossover point, so the low, mids, and high mids, have no crossover, thus putting more range on 1 driver, and then adding a crossover point only on the very high end, where we expect a change naturally to happen anyway. Excellent work and thanks for the "out of the norm" engineering and perfect results Zu audio !!:thumbsup:

The Omen tweeters come in so high the speakers could best be described as a 1 1/2 way.

The big 10 inch wide band Eminence drivers practically run full range.

I usually listen around 75-80 db. It took me months to get the placement right for me. I noticed the bass and imagining changed with the slightest movement. Probably not the best positioning but it works for me and that's really what matters :). I was torn between The Omen Def Mk 2 with Radian tweeters and the Soul Supremes but Sean recommended the Omens with my room, amp, and the fact I listen in a seated position. Overall, I just love them. IMG_0067.JPG

they choose crossover points at critical frequencies because the drivers (and usually the speaker system) sounds their best when restricted to the ones in their chosen bandwidth. the masterful ones do this very well- e.g. Harbeth 2-ways with a 3Khz crossover frequency.
for example, a larger driver tends to laser beam frequencies depending on diameter. e.g. a 6-1/2" driver starts beaming / becoming highly directional at ~ 2000 Hz. This affects the tonality at the listening position as well as creating a very narrow sweet zone.
another issue driver harmonic distortion. most woofers regardless of size have higher amounts of harmonic distortion as they try to broadcast higher frequencies. look at the sites Zaph audio or SoundStage Network for response and distortion plots. In addition to the distortion, when larger drivers start playing higher frequencies the response becomes uneven or ragged, creating nasty peaks that are audible if not handled in the crossover with something called a notch filter, which creates its own set of issues.

however there is a great way to do this and I am not sure why more speaker makers do not make use of multiple midrange size wideband drivers. some 4" wide band designs can play most of the frequency spectrum without fuss- e.g. 200 to 5000 Hz. crossovers in those frequencies tend to minimize the ill effects of phase miss-matching.

i'm sure the Zu speakers have minimized some of the issues mentioned above within their designs but they are far from a panacea and are not without compromise just like any other speaker.

I recall one owner of the early Druids preferred his less expensive Omens. Thankfully most of us judge speakers by the way they sound.

I recall one owner of the early Druids preferred his less expensive Omens. Thankfully most of us judge speakers by the way they sound.
I do the same- but have built and measured so many speakers over the years that predicting how they will sound and how they measure does have a relationship.
I wanted to hear the Zu Soul Supremes at the AXPONA audio show but the Zu Audio room did not open on the day I attended. I bet those sound great and have the dynamic realism that they are known for while minimizing any design and response compromises.

Back
Top Bottom