Zu Omen speakers

Jenkster

Bonzo!
Subscriber
I have been offered a mint pair of Zu Omen speakers in a partial trade. I have never heard of them. The reviews seem to be good. They would be used in a smaller room as a second system. Anyone have experience and/or opinions of these speakers? Thanks!

I have been reading as much as I can about those - strongly considering a pair of the Omen "Dirty Weekends" to go along with my 8w SET tube amp. I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts on them after you have had some time to listen to them. What will you be powering them with?

There are a couple of Zu threads in this very forum. Check them out they both have good information.

cubdog

Do some searching here - lot's of comments good and bad.

Very polarizing speakers - I'd suggest read a little and be prepared to disregard everything you read and rely on your own listening - trust your ears and form your own opinion.

If I get them I will initially using a mostly re-capped Marantz 2252B. Eventually, I will be using a Harman Kardon A500 tube integrated once it gets out of the shop. I will do a little more searching for the AK threads.

I did fing a couple of interesting threads. It always surprises me how some people can have such passionate opinions over audio gear, especially speakers. It is a form of recreation and fun to me. I just think some go a bit overboard on their views. I am always wanting to try something new and different and the Zu's will fill that bill. I will make the trade and give my observations later. I have a couple of friends that have better ears than mine. I will be curious to hear what they think as well. I am looking forward to it.:thmbsp:

The Omens are very large speakers and they need space and should to be pulled out into the room for best results. My listening room at 15x15 ( not the sunroom shown here ) was a little small for them. Set up is absolutely critical and if plopped down into a room ( where most people hear them and form their opinions ) they won't sound their best. They can require endless tweaking with adding taller feet and stone plinths in order to get the bottom firing ports sounding right. I drove them with every concievable amp. Solid state never sounded as good as tubes and push pulls never sounded as good as SET's. They will fill your house with big raunchous sound. If I had to pick a favorite song where the Omens really shined it would be Dire Straits' "Money For Nothing".

picture.php

Heard similar things where placement is so critical for these speakers. I initially considered them after hearing the Druid's but then lost interest based on how I would be using them in the room I have to work with.

The Dire Straits song is a great demo tune since it is so dynamic and well recorded which seems to play the Zu's strength - handling high dynamics with ease. Probably a great rock speaker.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. My room is a work in progress. It's a converted one car car garage, 12' X 22' with a 10' ceiling. It is pretty alive and may need some room treatments in the future. I do plan to spend as much time as I need to get them as dialed in as possible. I will have a tube amp running them eventually. Initially it will be a Marantz 2252B receiver or Sansui AU-9500 integrated amp. I also have a McIntosh MA 5100 on loan from a fellow AK'er. It's a first generation SS, 45 watter. I will give it a go as well. Oh, I have a re-matered copy of Brothers in Arms on CD and vinyl. One of my favorite albums. It sounds like it's going to be fun.:yes:

Last edited:
Here's a picture of the Omens powered by a Miniwatt SET. In the original 6moons review of the MW it was paired with Zu's.

2.5 watts goes a long way with these highly efficient speakers.

picture.php

Nice looking set-up.:thmbsp: I assume they are arranged for the picture and not in their listening position? I do like good low end and I'm not inclined to use a sub-woofer. How is the bass response with that amp? Oh, are those stock plinths or custom made? Thanks

That room is not for listening but the wife allows me to take pictures there.

The Omens do not need a sub and bass response is excellent with every flea amp I tried.

The plinth is a black granite tile with a ribbed mat underneath. Wanted a larger tile but could never find it. The feet are lag bolts with the same thread as the short stock spikes. These accessories came from my favorite audio store, Home Depot. :D

That room is not for listening but the wife allows me to take pictures there.

The Omens do not need a sub and bass response is excellent with every flea amp I tried.

The plinth is a black granite tile with a ribbed mat underneath. Wanted a larger tile but could never find it. The feet are lag bolts with the same thread as the short stock spikes. These accessories came from my favorite audio store, Home Depot. :D

If all goes as planned, I should have them tomorrow afternoon. I can't wait to pit them against the Paradigm Studio 100's. I'm giving up some classic speakers to go a more modern route speaker wise. I'm tired of L-pads, drifing caps, foam surrounds, chipped veneer etc., etc., etc. I can't quite turn loose of my vintage amps/receivers though. I think I would have to spend some long dollars for any improvement in overall sound. My box stock Sansui AU-9500 has put many a "higher end" modern amp to shame.:yes:

Well, I made the trade today and now have a beautiful pair of Omen's in Sangria Maple. They are absolutely mint with the boxes.:thmbsp: I haven't had much of a chance to do any critical listening. My first impressions are they are very open and accurate. I have heard a lot of micro details that I had been missing with my old JBL's. I know I will have to mess with positioning but they sound pretty darn good where they are. I will give some additional impressions tomorrow after I have had more time to run them in. Oh, and a pic or two as well.

Best sounding speakers I have had to date in my "Man Cave" which is going on five years. The clarity, detail and soundstage is truly amazing. I am now a Zu fan. Now I want to hear some of their higher end models.:yes: The search never ends.:no:

The Druids were the first Zu's to garner lots of attention. I believe 6moons still use them as house speakers. They were quite expensive but I've read from owners of both that the Standard Omens are preferred. You can expect all Zu's that use the 10" Eminence Legend to sound similar. The super tweeters come in so high that they're almost an afterthought. With FR single driver speakers marketing can dictate a 2 way.

Zu implies that their more expensive speakers use more complex individualized constructed cabs but if you watch their video all their MDF is cut on CNC machines with assembly line production. Internal damping is a single conical shaped piece of foam which is visible through the bottom finger ports. They call it the "Zurig" (sp?) which is motorcycle baffle inspired.

It would be interesting to read a comparison of your Standard Omens vs Omen Def's. The Omen Def's use two 10 inch Eminence drivers which seems like overkill and more appropriate for a banquet hall.

I doubt you'd have much to gain with a higher priced model as the Omens seem to be the "loss leader" of the group.

Glad you're enjoying them.

Great to hear. Zu's seem to demand more than usual in terms of setup and system matching, but when everything is right, they can really sound wonderful. Congrats on a great addition to your audio family!

Thanks guys, I really had very little expectations at first. When the guy offered me the trade, the only reason I did it was the cash he was offering to boot was what I had paid for the speakers I traded him. In essence, I got the Omens for free.:thmbsp: As far as amplification, the Marantz 2252B runs them very well with punch and very good clarity. It has had the tone board and phono section re-capped by a pro. Vinyl is especially nice. I was listenng to great condition album I have by Savoy Brown, Getting to the Point. I'm hearing little things it that album I have never heard before which is cool.:cool: I have an HK A50K tube integrated, kit version of the A-500, that is currently a shelf queen. The tech. I got from said he may be able to get to it in July? I guess I can wait as the Marantz is sounding pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom