Zu speakers...anyone?

I recently heard a pair of these when I was visiting a friends house-they were trying them out (didn't take my advice on the CL ESS AMT's).
They looked very nice, but didn't really have much bass, and the high's seemed harsh IMHO, they reminded me of a PA speaker-sort of.
As mentioned, they probably need the proper system matching to sound their best (perhaps tubes would work better-they had a Carver 100wpc set up), but I can't imagine them sounding that much better.
I think there are a lot of nice new, or new used, and for sure vintage speakers out there in this price range that will easily out perform them IMHO.
I see Music Direct now carries them, they sure do a nice presentation, calling them 'serious speakers' -they will rock your house, money back guarantee, etc.
Too bad, because they probably could have built a nice 2 or 3 way with those cabinets, and probably at roughly the same price.

mojo - What speakers are you referring to? (Zu, JBL??)

I ordered a pair of Zu Essence yesterday at the sale price of 1999.00 (thats no tax and free shipping). They have a money back guarantee including free shipping BACK to ZU. Now I can find out what al the hub-bub is, and if there not to my liking I'm still not out any coin. Should be here before X-mas.

Bhamm

There was a new Omen model also with twin 10 inch drivers that looked very interesting, but I wanted the ribbon tweeter and the Omen does not have grills. I need the grills for protection from little hands.

I went to a friends house to day to listen to his new Zu Essence's. He has had them for several weeks and is still tweaking the positioning. Power was a 60 watt tube amp.

These speakers are tall, much taller in person than the photo online.

Something we learned today was that you have to sit with your ears at, or slightly above the level of the main driver not the ribbon. If you sit low, at ribbon level, the highs seem disjointed and not part of the music. We actually raised his couch on a couple pieces of 2X4s to get into a better listening position and those couple of inches made a big difference.

They also seem to really need to be toed in to get a center fill and realistic sound stage. Best sound for me was when I could see both outside panels from the sweet spot.

In my opinion they lacked bass impact, Jim, the owner agreed. We discussed removing some corner treatments from behind the speakers and trying to get some more bass by moving the speakers back and closer to the corners but did not try it today.

Bhamm, I look forward to your listening impressions. I will point Jim to this thread and and ask if he will share his experience with the speaker.

mojo - What speakers are you referring to? (Zu, JBL??)

Zu Omens-I'm not trying to be harsh, but I can't imagine anyone really liking these speakers for high fidelity listening. IMHO all the tweaking, and different equipment won't make that much of a difference.
I really wanted to like them-they look very cool, and I guess I bought into the hype to a point for sure.
When you look at the advertising, hype, etc-it brings to mind the "Emperor's new clothes".
But hey, you can't beat a free home audition, let you ears be your own judge.

Zu Omens-I'm not trying to be harsh, but I can't imagine anyone really liking these speakers for high fidelity listening. IMHO all the tweaking, and different equipment won't make that much of a difference.
I really wanted to like them-they look very cool, and I guess I bought into the hype to a point for sure.
When you look at the advertising, hype, etc-it brings to mind the "Emperor's new clothes".
But hey, you can't beat a free home audition, let you ears be your own judge.

Thanks.
Have you heard other single driver or similar type speakers to the Omen? If so what were your impressions?
I have a pair of Tekton single driver speakers and really like them. I've been interested in Zu and the Omens specifically, so I'm just trying to get your point of reference. i.e.: If you've never really liked SD speakers vs. if you like SD speakers but don't like Zu it tells me something.
FWIW - The Tektons are the only SD speakers I've really ever heard at length outside of a show, so I have almost no experience with this type of speaker. I drive the Tektons with a 2A3 SET, but I have a vintage receiver that I'll try. Maybe if the Tektons sound like the Zus you heard it might point to the Carver you heard the Zus with...who knows.

This Omen has dual 10 inch drivers and a nominal impedance of 6 ohms. Has anyone heard these?

Attachments

• red-omen-def.jpg
    red-omen-def.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 27
Thanks.
Have you heard other single driver or similar type speakers to the Omen? If so what were your impressions?
I have a pair of Tekton single driver speakers and really like them. I've been interested in Zu and the Omens specifically, so I'm just trying to get your point of reference. i.e.: If you've never really liked SD speakers vs. if you like SD speakers but don't like Zu it tells me something.
FWIW - The Tektons are the only SD speakers I've really ever heard at length outside of a show, so I have almost no experience with this type of speaker. I drive the Tektons with a 2A3 SET, but I have a vintage receiver that I'll try. Maybe if the Tektons sound like the Zus you heard it might point to the Carver you heard the Zus with...who knows.

As one that has heard several hundred SD speakers, I can tell you that some aren't any better than Zu speakers, but that many are (IMHO) much better.

Do they do everything?

I don't think so, but success may be measured by what they promise and then fullfill VS. what Zu has intentionally stated and can't begin to deliver.

For the price of those Zu speakers, I can guarantee you that many here, and elsewhere, have built designs that far, far surpass the sound of any Zu speaker.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Are there any stereophile or absolute sound reviews on Zu speakers?? I would think that would be an interesting read.

Not necessarily disagreeing, I don't know, it just seems like every review we read is saying the same thing once you get over the "It felt as though my entire body was lifted upon a great breeze and transported 3000 miles over the ocean to the very venue in which the recording took place. I was now in downtown London, capitol of the universe. The bass was firm and detailed, bringing back memories of the Wilson Grand Slams I had here just over a year prior. I could almost count each pulse, each visceral cycle of the massive 30 cm drivers with the drum beating in my chest. That stage layed before me was immense- tall and with a wide breadth, defined depth placing the cellos off to my left. The high hats and cymbals were oh so crisp and sweet with a shimmer without a hint of grain, like granulated sugar around the rim of a glass of eggnog. Gillespie was in the room, not 3 feet in front of me and in this moment I dare not open my eyes for fear of the ecstasy evading. I could hear her lips part, feel the warmth of her breath on my face as she said the words 'I love you John'. Softly, softly...
It was a spiritual experience and essence. Her tender, fragile voice wavering precariously fading in the blackest black. Hearing this from any speaker was not to soon be forgotten. Years ago in my embryonic days as an audiophile working as a sound recording technican, I had a chance to meet her in person. My recollection of that timbre, that acumen control in her voice taking precedence now as sharp as it was then. The woody reverberation of the stage was revealed in such a way I had never experienced before, there was a certain sense of space hearing the floor boards, ceiling, tables and chairs not commonly found with other speaker systems in this price range. Most designers will attest to the affinity of how difficult a feat it can be to reiterate such presence. This was without question a turning point in my career not just as a reviewer, not just as a musician, but also as an audiophile. I surmise that of all the speakers I've heard to this date... this is one of them. Ahmen"
If you know what I mean. LOL

Last edited:
As one that has heard several hundred SD speakers, I can tell you that some aren't any better than Zu speakers, but that many are (IMHO) much better.

Do they do everything?

I don't think so, but success may be measured by what they promise and then fullfill VS. what Zu has intentionally stated and can't begin to deliver.

For the price of those Zu speakers, I can guarantee you that many here, and elsewhere, have built designs that far, far surpass the sound of any Zu speaker.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Interesting.
Thanks TerryO.

Do they do everything?

Best Regards,
TerryO

"but success may be measured by what they promise and then fullfill VS. what Zu has intentionally stated and can't begin to deliver."

TerryO,

What in particular are you referring to about the Zu speaker and their advertising?

Heard Zu's on two occasions and two different rooms systems. Once I loved them. The other time not so much. :)

They advertise some frequency response specs that just don't jive with things like physics or measured response. Like 30something hz frequency extension on Druids. They'll do 30hz, but they are -30dB or worse at that point. They pretty well incapable of producing anything remotely resembling deep bass.

Thanks.

I heard a small setup with a single driver (full range) speaker and a small class A tube amp.
For what it was it sounded nice, I wasn't expecting full range sound and dynamics out of it, given the size. Better than a nice table radio for sure. Better balanced than the Zu's-but it's not a fair comparison
I have also heard a larger (mono) setup with a very large Jensen coaxial speaker, tube driven as well-this was a decent sounding system, with bass, nice midrange, and smooth high freqencuy response-much better than the Zu's.
In part, part of my problem is with the advertising-I realize they are trying to sell product, but's it's a bit deceptive IMHO.
For example- I don't buy the specs of the speakers-perhaps they do make some bass below 40hz or so, but it's way down in output. You might hear some content, but you definitley can't feel it. It's really position dependent, and corner placement seems to bring on a muddy character.
Also, the efficiency is not as stated in real world applications-perhaps do to the higher impedence rating. Playing them loud only makes them sound worse IMHO.
They are not as advertised highly dynamic speakers.
Even when trying to find a purtity of sound, which I assume is the main hallmark of fullrange drivers, I was dissapointed, with the exception of the midrange, whic was clear, especially on vocals.
The amp might have something to do with it, but I think it's more than that.
There are plenty of speakers, particuliarly vintage, but new as well, that have similair sensitivity rating, that sound much better.
He is sending them back, and in the interm, till we can find him a decent set of speaker (I'm trying to find another pair of local ESS AMT's) he is listening to, believe it or not, my 70's vintage DLK 1 1/2's (with a Peerles dome upgrade-additional internal damping) and is happy as a lark-in fact he may go this route in the interm, as they are pretty thick in this area-the domes are less than $100, including a recap.
The Carver amp was a wedding gift from me, it's in excellent shape, recentley rebuilt at High Tech audio-a decent amp, (Carvers aren't really my cup of tea) and it's not misbehaving.
In IMHO you can't expect really a dynamic, live performance from a single 10 inch full range speaker-I wouldn't have recommened them purely on this point. Regardless I wasn't prepared for how poorly the sounded, IMHO of course.
I recall Art Dudley in Stereophile liking the Essence, and perhaps this is a much better speaker-but out of his price range.
Like I mentioned, I really don't mean to be harsh, as I really wanted to like this speaker, it's really a looker for sure-it just didn't have the essence of what I consider high fidelity (sorry about the pun).
Maybe a low powered single ended class a amp would bring out the best in these speakers-I'm skeptical. Even with one of those, I'm thinking, for example any ESS speaker with a Heil tweeter, would have sufficient sensitivety, and easily outperform the Omens.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom