Zu speakers, has anyone heard them?

softmachine

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here has heard them, I know Zu make cables and mod a denon cart as well, among other stuff. There's something about these speakers that just makes me lust after them, I dunno what it is ;), and I haven't even heard any yet lol.

I've heard the Zu Druids. It's one of the speakers that was an epiphany to me. There were people who liked it and I could barely wait to get out of the room, I thought it was so bad. I wasn't the only one who didn't like it a lot but there were as many or more who thought it was very good. I'd say this is a speaker that is "colored" and if you like the color it's wonderful and if you don't...well...
You really should listen for yourself before making a purchase.

of course! I'm still in college too, and jobless, but one day I would like to hear them. Buying them now is way out of the question, I have to stick with my B&W's for now.

Heard them right about the same time as jcmjrt. There are certain speakers that take me a while to decide if like them or not. These were not one of them, took about 2 seconds to decide that they were not to my liking. The the plus side, young company, with young owners, with great attitudes, so I'm sure there will be improvements.

I heard a pair two weeks ago at a local audio gathering. I think my TV sounds better. Seriously............

There were about 10 people in attendance and every one of them just walked away shaking their heads.

To quote John Atkinson from a Stereophile forum, "...while I have enormous respect for the guys at Zu, from having listened to some of their speakers at Shows, I believe Zu's design goals for their speakers are sufficiently different from the consensus at Stereophile that I am not sure what would be gained by arranging a review."

Now, I've seen some really ugly measurements from speakers tested by Stereophile. To me that speaks volumes. Say what will about Stereophile, but John does know how to measure audio components.

I'll pile on with everyone else. They are the single worst "high end" pair of speakers I have ever encountered. I have never in my life heard a more colored, incoherent, phasey, boomy (when coupled with their absolutely terrible one note subwoofers that make car audio bandpass subwoofers sound "tuneful"), shouty speaker in the price range. I went back to the room multiple times trying to "get it" and each time I did, I became more convinced of their weaknesses and was only able to come up with sensitivity as a strength (for those with low powered valve amps).

That said, like Joyce mentioned, there were a couple of people almost transfixed by the sound. They were enthralled, I was confused, I guess to each his own. Probably worth a listen regardless of what anyone says here because that minority of audiophiles who likes them, really loves them.

Back
Top Bottom