Zyx R100h....on my wish list

I have a 4D on my Galibier Audio Serac. I think it is a very nice cartridge.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Regards
Mister Pig

Last edited:
Well 2Juki has some reasonable prices on some new old stock ZYX cartridges. You can get an R100-02 for around 8 bills and the R1000 Fuji for an additional 4 benjis over the R100-02. And past that is the R 1000 Airy.

A somewhat affordable way to get a ZYX cartridge.

Regards
Mister Pig

I love my Zyx R100 Yatra. They are pretty light though, 5g. You might want to get the SB option which brings it up to 9.2g, depending on what arm you are using.

FFfOxkrBbnEilYUsVbTsQZddvU9HRcjrqSNCwMjxp0s=w1025-h682-no

Well 2Juki has some reasonable prices on some new old stock ZYX cartridges. You can get an R100-02 for around 8 bills and the R1000 Fuji for an additional 4 benjis over the R100-02. And past that is the R 1000 Airy.

A somewhat affordable way to get a ZYX cartridge.

Regards
Mister Pig

thanks for letting me know..that is definitely a good price. for the R100-02

It appears 2juki has been a good reputable seller according to what I have read about him in the past.

But, I think the only downside of buying a ZYX from him, is no factory warrantee.

Don't quote me on this, but I imagine it stands to reason, buying such from an overseas seller.

Any possibility of an out of the box issue? I strongly doubt it. Usually, 99% of problems are "user induced". I imagine he will still stand behind a manufacturing issue, but it means of course sending it back overseas, and awaiting a determination.

I own the Airy 3X SB, and Mr. Pig bought his 4D pretty much on my personal recommendation. I can assume he is more than thrilled with it. The Airy 3X is killer, and the 4D is claimed to be substantially better than the Airy 3.
It's hard to imagine, but that's what they say.

The Yatra and Fuji are as well very good I've heard.

I think the important key with any ZYX Cartridge is selecting the Low Output Version. And as well having the Silver Base Option.

At around 9gms of Cartridge Weight with Pure Silver Base, this then usually places it in the territory of working well with pretty much all medium mass Arms. Otherwise, one may need to add a Headshell Weight without the Silver Base.
All models in Low Output sound better than their High Output brothers. This of course places demands upon a Phono Stage, having the proper Gain, and Loading.

Most Low Output ZYX at 24mv (but actually more like 32-33mv due to the particular testing methods) usually require about 58-62db gain. And about 100 or 200 ohms loading. I have my Sutherland PhD Phono PreAmp set at 62db Gain and 100 Ohms Loading.

I also have on my Airy 3X Cartridge what is referred to as the "Zn" option, which means the Mounting Nuts are there already mounted on the Cartridge. This of course helps simplify installation.
Hope this helps,
Mark

Last edited:
Even the entry level, that was the Bloom was said to be outstanding. And that was one thing it did not have, nor do they say any ZYX Cartridge, is "Bloom"

Playback is lightning fast, my playback, even with old records in my collection that I probably bought 45 years ago sound whisper quiet. Any pops-ticks seem to be quite less noticeable with the Airy 3X, and have been told the Stylus size and profile shape are largely responsible. Playback closely mimics Compact Disc silence. Groove noise is virtually inaudible.

The stylus is probably some form of Line Contact-Shibata, and commonly such Stylus Profiles reach in the groove where other Stylus Shapes-Profiles never have.

I'm sure as well, the dead silence of the older Battery Powered Sutherland PhD, and a VPI RCM with Audio Intelligent Cleaning Fluids have aided the Airy 3 in giving a considerable amount of its great performance.

It appears 2juki has been a good reputable seller according to what I have read about him in the past.

But, I think the only downside of buying a ZYX from him, is no factory warrantee.

Don't quote me on this, but I imagine it stands to reason, buying such from an overseas seller.

Any possibility of an out of the box issue? I strongly doubt it. Usually, 99% of problems are "user induced". I imagine he will still stand behind a manufacturing issue, but it means of course sending it back overseas, and awaiting a determination.

I own the Airy 3X SB, and Mr. Pig bought his 4D pretty much on my personal recommendation. I can assume he is more than thrilled with it. The Airy 3X is killer, and the 4D is claimed to be substantially better than the Airy 3.

I think the important key with any ZYX Cartridge is selecting the Low Output Version. And as well having the Silver Base Option.

At around 9gms of Cartridge Weight with Pure Silver Base, this then usually places it in the territory of working well with pretty much all medium mass Arms. Otherwise, one may need to add a Headshell Weight without the Silver Base.
All models in Low Output sound better than their High Output brothers. This of course places demands upon a Phono Stage, having the proper Gain, and Loading.

Most Low Output ZYX at 24mv (but actually more like 32-33mv due to the particular testing methods) usually require about 58-62db gain. And about 100 or 200 ohms loading. I have my Sutherland PhD Phono PreAmp set at 62db Gain and 100 Ohms Loading.

I also have on my Airy 3X Cartridge what is referred to as the "Zn" option, which means the Mounting Nuts are there already mounted on the Cartridge. This of course helps simplify installation.
Hope this helps,
Mark

Mark,

Do you know if the Zyx cartridge dynamic compliance is measured in 10Hz or 100Hz?

the table I want to use is a Sony PS-X65. from what I have read, the tonearm effective mass with OEM headshell is about 20grams. by my calculations, using a lighter headshell brings the mass range to 16/17grams.

Hope this helps,
Mark

Yes, it was good to talk to ya, especially when spending that kind of money. And Mehran is the absolute best to deal with. SORASound is a great distributor and champion for ZYX in the US. Fortunately I owned the Accuphase AC 1 and AC 3, both designed by Nakatsuka, so I had an inkling of what I was looking at. But to be fair, the ZYX 4D is a quantum leap past what the early generation Accuphase cartridges were capable of.

Good to see you posting old friend, was thinking about you the other day. Hope all is well with you!

Regards
Mister Pig

Last edited:
Mark,

Do you know if the Zyx cartridge dynamic compliance is measured in 10Hz or 100Hz?

the table I want to use is a Sony PS-X65. from what I have read, the tonearm effective mass with OEM headshell is about 20grams. by my calculations, using a lighter headshell brings the mass range to 16/17grams.

I use the 4D in a 12" Riggle String Theory arm, with a mass at 17 or 19 grams. No problems, even though I am a down around 6 hertz in the resonant frequency calculation. But there are companies such as EMT that shoot for that low of a number also. Not everyone follows the guideline of 8 to 10 hertz.

But from everything I have seen ZYX lists their compliance at 10 hertz. If that were not the case, my cartridges suspension would have collapsed in this big arm, and its been on it for 4 years or so. Maybe a bit longer.

PS. Actually the Accuphase AC3 did have issues in the String Theory arm. It is a higher compliance moving coil, somewhere around 18 or 19 dyne, and you could tell it was not happy in that arm. Just another bit of corroborating evidence.

Regards
Mister Pig

thanks for the feedback Mr Pig...

It's looking as though the Zyx R100 would work well on the Sony tonearm.

On a side note-
It may be some time before I pull the trigger on the Zyx as the Sony table is getting repaired at the moment. I should have an interesting thread to start when the repairs are done...We are having to implement a Teensy Microcontroller modified in place of the main IC chip that "fried" when the power supply caps failed.

At this point- a Teensy++2.0 is installed and some basic functions are working, but it's just a matter of figuring out all the correct coding language to mimic all the IC Chip programming functions so everything works.

in due time...

(edit) thank God for Flow Charts being included in the Sony table Schematic. Otherwise, this would be a huge uphill battle

Last edited:
thanks for the feedback Mr Pig...

It's looking as though the Zyx R100 would work well on the Sony tonearm.

On a side note-
It may be some time before I pull the trigger on the Zyx as the Sony table is getting repaired at the moment. I should have an interesting thread to start when the repairs are done...We are having to implement a Teensy Microcontroller modified in place of the main IC chip that "fried" when the power supply caps failed.

At this point- a Teensy++2.0 is installed and some basic functions are working, but it's just a matter of figuring out all the correct coding language to mimic all the IC Chip programming functions so everything works.

in due time...

Wow that sounds like a sci-fi movie lol. Perhaps with time it could grow into a niche market solution? Lots of people with concerns about unobtainuum ICs in their turntables (and other electronics) could be looking for just this kind of thing

Wow that sounds like a sci-fi movie lol. Perhaps with time it could grow into a niche market solution? Lots of people with concerns about unobtainuum ICs in their turntables (and other electronics) could be looking for just this kind of thing

that could be, if others are having the same issues with the same IC chip. But, we have to get the table working 100% with the right coding derived from the flow chart in the schematic. It's a puzzle game, but doable..

another question...

I have an NAD1155 as my preamp. I really like the phono stage (fully discrete) and sounds great with my Dynavector 10x5 on the MM setting @ 47K. The loading is fixed at 100ohms on the MC setting, not much else can be adjusted.

Will this preamp be sufficient or will I eventually have to upgrade to a more versitile preamp?

another question...

I have an NAD1155 as my preamp. I really like the phono stage (fully discrete) and sounds great with my Dynavector 10x5 on the MM setting @ 47K. The loading is fixed at 100ohms on the MC setting, not much else can be adjusted.

Will this preamp be sufficient or will I eventually have to upgrade to a more versitile preamp?

If that is the phono stage you plan on using with it, buying a ZYX would be a waste of a great cartridge. You may get good sound, but you wont get what the cartridge is capable of. You are going to need a table and phono stage that is capable of supporting this level of cartridge, and with loading options that allow you to make fine adjustments to get things just right.

Regards
Mister Pig

was thinking I could get by with the NAD until I chose a better preamp down the road. The table would be a good match, but another preamp may be in order.

was thinking I could get by with the NAD until I chose a better preamp down the road. The table would be a good match, but another preamp may be in order.

Don't know 2Juki stock level on that particular R100, but don't count on them staying around forever. Better to buy it now and have it on hand. Once they are gone they are gone you know.

Regards
Mister Pig

Back
Top Bottom