ZYX RS-30 02 Unboxing and First Spin

I had a chance to spin some vinyl Friday evening and am now at 50 sides. Still at 200 ohms, a bit tail-down.

My impression holds, analytical and detailed but lacking in mid-range soul. Pronounced, detailed bass. I'll continue to break it in and experiment but so far it's not one I'd live with in my system. I'll take it over to Blue Shadow's and see how it performs there too.

I had a chance to spin some vinyl Friday evening and am now at 50 sides. Still at 200 ohms, a bit tail-down.

My impression holds, analytical and detailed but lacking in mid-range soul. Pronounced, detailed bass. I'll continue to break it in and experiment but so far it's not one I'd live with in my system. I'll take it over to Blue Shadow's and see how it performs there too.

I have been talking with DOK who bought the other ZYX when you did. In his system he has it working really well at 100 ohms. My system may very well be different than yours as I use Single Ended Tubes and co-axial speakers in an open baffle, while his is more conventional. Perhaps it would be worth exploring the 100 ohm setting and see how that works in your system.

Regards
Mister Pig

Checking in. I'm at 128 sides now and have played a combination of jazz, rock, 80s synthpop, and some country sprinkled in. The detail and spaciousness of this cartridge continues to amaze me. Joe Morello's drums sound like they're in the room in front me. Great attack/decay and speed.

I was still bothered by a hard-edged forward treble, and on the Pig's advice experimented with loading. Going from 200 to 100 ohms made it even brighter to my ears. So I tried 300 ohms and now I'm liking it. Still has all the detail with a better mid/treble balance.

How are you liking yours Dok?

Checking in. I'm at 128 sides now and have played a combination of jazz, rock, 80s synthpop, and some country sprinkled in. The detail and spaciousness of this cartridge continues to amaze me. Joe Morello's drums sound like they're in the room in front me. Great attack/decay and speed.

I was still bothered by a hard-edged forward treble, and on the Pig's advice experimented with loading. Going from 200 to 100 ohms made it even brighter to my ears. So I tried 300 ohms and now I'm liking it. Still has all the detail with a better mid/treble balance.

Seems like a lot of cartridge for the price.

So if I read this right, you are happy with the changes going to 300 ohms, and the tonal balance has come into line? So is it a keeper and worth the money?

From what I see you and DOK may have gotten the last of these. Seems like there are some listings on the UK and AUS ebay pages, but they are not on the US ebay site. So its hard to know if any more of them can be had.

Regards
Mister Pig

Yes I'm happy with it at 300 ohms, and I suspect it's warming up a little as it approaches the 50 hour mark. I'll try some more tweaks but it's well worth the money and a definite keeper.

Seems like there are some listings on the UK and AUS ebay pages, but they are not on the US ebay site. So its hard to know if any more of them can be had.

Regards
Mister Pig

Mr Juks still has a few more units, I recently bought one!
Contact Mr Juki juki@leonidasltd.com
Rgs

29100094248_6a791fe772_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom