zz top

c.granger

went and saw the boyzz dec. 30 in clearwater fl.
AWSOME SHOW!!!!
did hendrix's foxy lady and rocked the house with it!!
get a chance to see them ....see them.

I've never seen them except on video but they sure are a fun group. I love Tres Hombres.

I like the earlier stuff the best. The MTV era stuff is all right, but still lots of fun. I saw them way back and those three guys can definitely rock.

I also like the early bluesier stuff. Saw them in olden days. Live farm animals and everything. Great 3 piece and FUN.

My first rock concert. Great show. It was the Afterburner tour when they were peaking on MTV. They did a lot of the older stuff. To this day Tush and Lagrange take me back to the football team bus on the way to games. Haw haw haw haw.

Ray

I've loved this band since I discovered them when Deguello came out but I've never had the chance to see them unfortunately.

I saw ZZ Top in 1994. Didn't have very good seats but they sure did rock the house. Now, if I ever hear another song from Eliminator it would be too soon. Their earlier stuff kicks ass. Can you say 'Beer Drinkers And Hell Raisers'?

Cheers

Saw them in I think in 72 Fandango tour in Winterland arena San Francisco,they didn't have beards then, great show.

Seen the boyzz the first time in '75 at Fairgrounds Speedway in Nashville TN. I was 17 yrs old. It was the Fandango tour. They shared the stage with a longhorn steer, an armadillo and a rattlesnake. I think I have seen EVERY tour since then at least once.

Attachments

• DSC00254.JPG
    DSC00254.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 8
Always enjoyed their stuff, up to, and somewhat including "Eliminator", though that too, had some spotty stuff on it (my opinion). "Afterburner" and the latter stuff, not my cuppa tea.

Saw the eliminator tour. Can't recall who opened up. Fun show.

The early stuff is lots of fun, and great to try out a pair of speaker to see if they can handle rock and roll.

A sour note- Although I have the earlier stuff on vinyl, I picked up their Greatest Hits on CD for quick fixes.

It's a Columbia release, and it is absolutely terrible sounding- the mix is real bad. Some of the songs, especially that particular transfer of "Pearl Necklace", are poorly executed. In fact, playing "Pearl Necklace" produces a sound as if you've blown the woofers in your speakers. Real unpleasant, and unnerving that first time. Thought all four woofers in my a/d/s/ L1230s were bad.

I'd advise staying away from that particular "best of" CD release, instead opting for the remasters or the vinyl.

The offending CD-

51XeMZYtQiL_AA240_.jpg

I just bought the remastered versions of Fandango and Tres Hombres.They sound pretty good.I'm with thedelihaus,I prefer the early bluesy stuff.

I just added to my small ZZ library (not arrived yet):

Tres Hombres
Deguello
Rio Grande Mud
El Loco

Just decided I didn't have enough of the older stuff, which I prefer.

I was on the crew that did video reinforcement for ZZ Top's show at Red Rocks Amphitheater this last year. I was right up against the stage in front of the railing and I got paid for it! It's the best job in the world, and Red Rocks is the best outdoor concert venue in the world. It should be after 300 million years in the making!

Anyway, it was truly one of the very best shows of the year. It was a joy to shoot as well. The whole crew knew every song and we were able to anticipate every move. I was able to get closeups of Billy's guitar before the solo happened, and the director knew exactly when to take the shot. The resulting DVD is flawless. Too bad I can't get a copy. The fear of bootlegging is just too strong.

Ken

Get high everybody get high, have you heard, of the word, Thunderbird....

It seems with MOST bands the early stuff is the best, even ZZ. The MTV era F**ked everything up worse than the Disco era already had. So many good bands were ruined post 1976 or so. It wouldnt be right for a good Rock band to try to conform to these trends. Some did semi successfuly, ZZ is one example but MANY just vanished.

I saw ZZ back in the mid 90's and I thought it was great. There were a lot of whiners who had seen them in the MTV days when they had the trendy MEGA huge light show. They were complaining that it was JUST the band and of course a normal amount of stage lighting. I told a few that I came to see the BAND and hear the MUSIC, not see a drum kit do flip flops in the air, or lasers, explosions, whatever. Some people just can't be reached.....

A sour note- Although I have the earlier stuff on vinyl, I picked up their Greatest Hits on CD for quick fixes.

It's a Columbia release, and it is absolutely terrible sounding- the mix is real bad. Some of the songs, especially that particular transfer of "Pearl Necklace", are poorly executed. In fact, playing "Pearl Necklace" produces a sound as if you've blown the woofers in your speakers. Real unpleasant, and unnerving that first time. Thought all four woofers in my a/d/s/ L1230s were bad.

I'd advise staying away from that particular "best of" CD release, instead opting for the remasters or the vinyl.

The offending CD-

51XeMZYtQiL_AA240_.jpg

I agree 100% bad CD not worth it even if free. I have been a big ZZ fan for many years, picked up the "Hits" CD and was very disappointed :(

Back
Top Bottom