Better isolation, DIY or...

SubWolfer

I recently took advantage of Bing 10% CB and purchased one of these cutting boards to place on top of my Bell'oggetti audio rack so I can set my Scout TT on it. I remember also reading somewhere about using an inner-tube underneath for isolation. I'm not sure though where I'd find such a small inner-tube, maybe like one for a small child's bike? What else could I set under the wood block to help with isolation and vibration dampening?

Or I was thinking of going for a Gingko Cloud 10. A local fellow has one and he said he'd sell it to me for $150.

I was also thinking about using that 3 1/2" wood block as a foundation (since I already bought it) and also get the Gingko Cloud 10. I could then use both! Set the Cloud 10 on the wood block and then setting the Scout TT on the whole shootin' match. That would be a six inch thick foundation with the wood base and isolation platform together and prolly look pretty friggin cool :D

I don't know. I already jumped on the wood block and I read good reviews on the Gingko Cloud 10. Get both? Just use the wood block or wood block and inner-tube, or? :scratch2:

You could also DIY or have someone make spherical indentations under the block so you can use similar rubber balls to isolate the block from the base. I like the wooden look much more than the plastic base - have no idea how well it performs or not.

It seems like a 30lb wooden block would have quite a bit more inertia to resist severe vibration than the plastic of the Cloud 10. Some round (wouldn't HAVE to be spherical) depressions in the bottom of the butcher block would keep racket-balls from rolling around. Just an idea (Sasi's idea, really).

I recently DYI'd a new platform for my 'table. I really like the results. You need a couple of squares of granite or marble floor tile, and a sheet of Dynamat. You essentially use the tiles to make a Dynamat sandwich, placing the Dynamat sheet between the two tiles. The weight of the tiles gives you mass, and the Dynamat makes the platform inert, essentially killing off any vibration from reaching your turntable, while also deadening any ringing or vibration that might be picked up by the tiles.

I have still never heard anything that rivals the Sound Orginisation tables from the 80's. I can kick the stand while it's playing and nothing happens. Light weight and rigid is the way to go for the best results. Space is the issue though it needs it's own floorspace for best results. I have it on another rack right now and it still beats marble, granite or wood, hands down. And trust me my garage is full of the stuff from trials.

marc mc

Last edited:
Set your block on top or some racquetballs with glass teacandle holders from Wallyworld... Worked extremely well for me... I use this setup both with and without the wood addition...

Here's a pic:
ttsupport.jpg

Wow, that looks great. Lots of great ideas, guys (and not much love for the Gingko Cloud 10). I was thinking just the wood block alone wouldn't be bad but could be better and that's why I was considering the Cloud 10 in addition. I honestly never thought about using racket balls under the wood. Seems like that would work well and a lot less expensive than the Gingko platform. Thanks for the suggestions :thmbsp:

I would use small balloons filled with sand in lieu of racket balls - will soak up vibrations like a black hole.:banana:

If the balloons were to pop or break somehow, man what a mess! Wouldn't want sand falling down onto my components below. :no:

I recently DYI'd a new platform for my 'table. I really like the results. You need a couple of squares of granite or marble floor tile, and a sheet of Dynamat. You essentially use the tiles to make a Dynamat sandwich, placing the Dynamat sheet between the two tiles. The weight of the tiles gives you mass, and the Dynamat makes the platform inert, essentially killing off any vibration from reaching your turntable, while also deadening any ringing or vibration that might be picked up by the tiles.

I made a similar one using 3 tiles with cork between one and two and foam shelf liner between the two and three. This is sitting on Audio Technica AT 605 Audio Isolators. Cheap and does a great job!
Regards,
Jim

Sub,
Trust me on this, I've tried them all, and an inner tube with a set of home-made roller blocks works best. The resonant frequency of racquetballs is too high, and causes a mid-bass bump. A inner tube from a child's bicycle, or a 16" inner tube inflated just enough to keep the board off the valve stem works best. Put it between the board and shelf. Rig up some home made roller blocks using Shepherd plastic concave furniture cups and large ball bearings or marbles and rest the TT on these. The inner tube will provide isolation of subsonic seismic resonances in the vertical dimension, and the roller blocks will provide it in the horizontal and rotational dimensions.

Don't bother with cork, it will darken the sound, and for goodness sakes, stay away from sand...that's entirely going in the wrong direction.

There is EXTENSIVE discussion around this on Steve Hoffman's Audio Hardware forums; just search for "I'm all Barry Diamented-out, thank goodness" or any posts by Barry Diament, who is a professional mastering engineering who has studied the use of inner tubes extensively.

Some pix....

Notice the inner tube peeking out from under the board, and the home-made roller blocks.

SME_V%20and%20Rega-2.jpg

Here's my system....everything you see sitting on a plywood board is resting on an inner tube. The preamp and the Rega are also on roller blocks, and the board that the Gyro is resting on is also on roller blocks. The Gyro is not sitting on an inner tube because it is suspended vertically with a sophisticated, pre-loadable spring suspension system, which provides the same function as the inner tube, but way more adjustable. The power amp is not on roller blocks because the cups I am using are not up to holding up almost 70 lbs of amp...the amp wants to slide off all the time because it is very heavy at the back where the transformers are located.

S3.4-2.jpg

Even my phono stage is on an inner tube and roller blocks...
EAR%201.jpg

My strong recommendation is to put everything you can on a light, stiff, birch or maple plywood board, with an inner tube underneath the board, between it and the rack shelf, and the component on roiler blocks, if possible. You will get a synergistic and not insignificant improvement in the performance of your system doing this for every additional component you set up this way; it's additive. You will notice a much more open sound, better transparency, airiness, better bass, and improved imaging and sounstaging.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom