Realistic STA-120B Receiver

BruceRPA

Addicted Member
I just bought an old favorite of mine on Ebay for $10. As I have mentioned previously, I worked at Radio Shack back in the "good old days" and one of my favorite receivers was the STA-120B. If had a lot of nice features, a great tuner section, and it sounded really good. I haven't seen one in years but I stumbled on one listed on eBay so I bid on it. I was surprised to be the only bidder and won it for $10.00, plus $25 shipping. The seller did a very nice job of packing it and it arrived today, right on time. It fired up and sounds great, just like I remember. Now I am looking for an owners manual and a service manual. If anyone has any information to share I certainly would appreciate it. I have catalogs from that era. I am curious who actually manufactured it for Radio Shack. I haven't opened it up yet but expect to sometime soon.

Attachments

• STA120B (Small).JPG
    STA120B (Small).JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 331
Very nice and a durn good price also. The black face/dial really make it look sharp. I'd be interested in seeing some pics of the insides if you get a chance.

Realistic STA-120B

I will post pictures as I work with it. The tuner section really does work well. This thing is better than I remember it. I would not consider it high end gear by any means but considering that it sold for only $300 back then, it's pretty darn good, all things considered.

UltraHog,

Ever find that service manual? I'm looking for one now myself, just picked one up on ebay.

Gibsonian

No, not yet. I havent done anything with the 120 in quite a while due to other projects that keep popping up. Thanks for the reminder though. I will have to look again. if I do find anything I will let you know.

Realistic STA-120B

Hi--I could use a service manual for the 120B too -- I've had one for years and it got a fat lightning strike this summer......deader than a haddock..........Please let me know if you find any paperwork on this good old timer; I'd sure like to get her going again. Thanks, Steve:banana:
By the way, I've done the Google search, and contacted Radio Shack themselves and have had no luck.

I saw that. And I remembered your previous posts about it. I had a brief notion, but I was focused on some other targets.

Actually quite a few RS receivers have been going for much less or have been ignored until relisted for lower lately.

Congrats! :thmbsp:

I have the original owners manual for my STA-120B, but no service manual. In searching through it, I see no reference to who actually manufactured the unit other than "Custom Manufactured for Radio Shack". I hope someone can post that piece of information, it would be interesting to know.

Catalog No. 31-2042, the cover says: Model STA-120B Solid State 150-Watt Stereo RM Receiver. I measured 55 watts RMS per channel at about 7 on the sliders via my Realistic APM-200 power meter. The speakers I was pushing at the time wouldn't take much more so I stopped.

This unit is definately a little gem considering I paid $25 for it. The FM Section doesn't drift off stations and it just always works without any headaches. (Except for the speaker connections ... grrrrr)

Here are the specs from the owners manual.

Amplifier Section:

Audio Output per 8 ohms:
80 watts RMS, 120 Watts IHF, +/- 1db 150 Watts IHF
Harmonic Distortion: Under 1.0%
Frequency Response: +/- 1 db 20-25000 cps or better
Sensitivity: Magnetic phono (low) 2mv, (high) 5mv
Tone Controls:
Bass +/- 12 db@ 100 cycles
Midrange +/- 6 db @ 1500 cycles
Treble +/- 12 db @ 10,000 cycles.
Hum (Phono) -65 db

Radio Tuner Section:

FM Sensitivity: 2 uf IHF
FM Stereo Seperation: 35 db @ 1000 cycles
FM Image Rejection: 75 db
FM Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 65 db
AM Sensitivity: 40 uv
AM Image Rejection: 80 db
AM Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 50 db
Antennas: Built-in AM and FM, plus external facilities

//Smorgy

Fun thread. Picked up one of these, off the bay last week. I'm using it now. Cleaned the volume faders and switches. Maybe it's the speakers I use (Yamaha NS-A635A bookshelfs) but I'm noticing that a lot of the bass kicks out when I turn OFF the loudness switch. Some of it can be rectified by cranking the bass knob all the way up, but I was wondering if anybody else had this problem. When I flip the loudness switch back on and readjust the bass, treble and mid knobs, the bass comes back on again.

It could just be a quirk of that piece of gear. I've cleaned all the switches so that shouldn't be the issue. Thoughts? Opinions?

I've had one since my Old Man bought it new in 1973/74? I put the sound of this machine up against just about any. It is amazing, but it is due for a "tune - up". A couple of toggles have broken and some noise coming through on the tuner section. It's due for some new caps after 43 years! Has anyone ever come across a service manual? Please let me know, I sure could use one. This piece definitely has Depth, Warmth, Separation Clarity, and Volume. I am talking HOT! an absolute bargain.

Thanks for the link! I have been able to procure an "owner's Manual"(with circuit diagram) but no-one can seem to find a Service Manual for one of these. I am trying to recap this unit and don't want to poke around without the parts lists...there are way too many caps inside the box.

Glad it helped Fridge. Welcome to AK. Sometimes the only way is to work your way thru the thing creating your own parts list as you go. Check each cap and list it's value and voltage. I have done a one for one cap upgrade in the phono stage on my Nad 3140 back around 90. Otherwise the only other way is to purchase a SM.

Back
Top Bottom