Sansui 771 receiver

englissa

I pick this receiver up a few weeks ago with some receiving issures so the seller said, Using a pair of head phones I started checking it out, reception was poor all up and down the FM band. This receiver has a open tuning cap so I got some cleaner and cleaned the contacts and put a drop of deoxit afterward. Stations now come in strong and clear now. The stereo light light wont light but I think maybe the bulb is burnted out.
I would like to set the bias and dc off set while I have the cover off. I searched the Sansui forum but with little luck. Would anybody have the this info handy ? maybe If I keep it I may do a recap job on it but right now just a slight tune up. thanks steve

Last edited:
I can't help you with the bias and dc offset. When my 771 needs something more than a light dusting or cleaning of the cabinet, I tend to take it to the experts I use. That fm light though sould be an easy replacement and you might as well do all the face lights now so you don't have to open it back up again. The others are probably ready to start burning out.

My 771, that my father bought new in 1976, is running strong just needs some cleaning and minor work. Enjoy it, I love the sound of mine. :music: One note, if you are going to run two sets of speakers at once (A+B or A+C) both sets have to be 8 to 16 ohms. Do you have the manual and schematic? The manual has a lot of info on setting up the 771 that might be helpful. I refer to mine often.

The 771 service manual is in the AK database under the Digital Docs forum. Bias and offset instructions are in the manual. Congrats on your find, and have fun! I have a 881 that I have barely tinkered with yet.

Thank you for guilding me to the info that I needed, I looked in the data base but wasnt smart enough to see that their were more than one page to it, seemed kinda strange to me. I was looking at it last night and I didnt notice any of those wonderful fusesistors in it, A little trial and error and I found the dc offset pots and I took a guess what fuses to pull like you do with a 9090db to set bias. If I plan to do a total recap I'll buy a manual for it. Think I'll recap the driver board though. I'll have to hook a meter up to the stereo lite to see if the bulb went or the tuner drifted??? thanks again for your help englissa

Last edited:
I downloaded the 771 manual from here this past Summer and set th Bias and DC Offset on my 771. This is a great sounding little receiver.

Good Luck, Al. Wise

Went down to the basement last night armed with the the procedure paper work to ajust the bias and dc offset on my 771 receiver, things went well and so I moved on to replacing the stereo indicator bulb. Found a replacement and hooked it up and still no light. On outher receivers there is a adjustment fot this light, look through the paper work I found it, looked on the boared and its not there???? Come to find out that I have a different board in mine. F-1517 board lives in mine CRAP....OK here is the big question . Would anyone out there have a service manual showing this board or schmatic of this board. Was it used in any outher receivers? was going to put this receiver in my bedroom on a timer so I wake up to music.. thanks Steve

Last edited:
I was just looking at my 771 schematic and it shows an F-1517D board on the tuner section. Is that what you are looking at? If so I can do a pic of it and you can pm me and email addy to send it to. Well that is if it will be of any help.

Sansui Photo, If your service service manual showes this board yes I would like a scan of it if possible thanks PM sent. steve

Thanks to Sansuiphoto for sending me a close up of the 1517 tuner board I was able to find the trouble with the stereo light, I had tested the transistors and diodes in circuit and I found no shorted parts,,, yes I know you really should remove them but I really didnt want to do a major tear down of this receiver.was hoping to set offset and bias and replace the bulb. A tech at work told me to use a resistor to short pin 6 of HA1120 chip to ground to see if the stereo bulb lit, I used a 470 ohm resistor and when I shorted it to ground the stereo light lit so things seem to be working ok in that department. I came to the concoulsion the the tuner has drifted out of aglinement. when I measure the voltage on pin 6 of the chip I see no change , rise or fall . the schmatic shows 6 v but I measure 8v on it. this is what I came up with I could be wrong.. thanks steve

I had mine recently relit and had the mic connector disconnected (it was defective, didn't need it anyway), cleaned, tuner realigned, and it's singing in my video rig. Other than being spoiled by the bass slam in my 8080DB, I'd press 771 into primary service, it's that good.

The 771 service manual is in the AK database under the Digital Docs forum. Bias and offset instructions are in the manual. Congrats on your find, and have fun! I have a 881 that I have barely tinkered with yet.

Van Isle, I just picked up an 881 yesterday. Do you know where I can find a user manual on it?? All I can find are service manuals.

Back
Top Bottom