Neets - Naval Electrical Engineering Training Series Online

More than half a year after they were posted, I just found these links. What a treasure trove of helpful information for learning this stuff. THANKS for posting them!

For those that prefer print, you can pick up soft cover versions at Barnes and Noble for cheap. They have a service where they sell low cost versions of public documents - you can get a print copy of the 911 report for instance. I think I paid about $30 for both volumes.

For those that prefer print, you can pick up soft cover versions at Barnes and Noble for cheap. They have a service where they sell low cost versions of public documents - you can get a print copy of the 911 report for instance. I think I paid about $30 for both volumes.

I would like to grab these. I can't seem to locate them at Barnes & Noble. Where would they be located? Is it possible to order from their site?

This is awesome, I am really wanting to get into doing some of my own electronics work and overall improve my knowledge base. I am also thinking I will take a couple courses at my university and these look to be perfect references.

I could probably find them in paper form as well at the university library, I work on the government documents floor so it won't be hard for me to find hard copies to use.

Thanks for the post! This is just another example of how much AK and its members have helped me along in this great audio journey. :thmbsp:

njb182 if your question is a serious one I will give you a serious answer.The services have to be or at least used to have to be self reliant.Meaning they must be able to fix what they own.And they own some pretty cool stuff.Much of what they own is old.Like fifty years old.So they must train men to maintain,repair and scavange the equipment even under extreme conditions at times.Therefore a technican "really" has to know what he is doing or invent it.Sometimes right on the spot.
The basic electronics course went for 50 weeks five days a week for eight hours a day with lecture in the morning and practical in the afternoon.Thats two thousand hours of training.Then when the tech hits the fleet the real fun starts.Real life problems and limitations inviting you to improvise.Any wonder why "MacGyver" was so popular a show in its day?
Hope that answers your question.

I had found Volume 6 in pdf form before, but the link with the free pdf versions of the entire series is great! I went through Volume 6 over the summer, and I learned an incredible amount from it. I'd agree with the rest - for learning electronics, it doesn't get any better than this. Thanks!

Other Educational material

In addition to the NEETS modules, there are two other materials I've found helpful.

Since everyone has a unique learning style, the way information is presented affects how well we assimilate it. I'm sure others can offer other helpful recommendations too.

My background is a E.E. in Power Systems. This means I didn't have much training in electronics in school. Mostly math and physics.

Since I wanted to learn electronics for audio, I really was a newbie. I had to start from stratch.

"Fundamentals of Linear Circuits" by Thomas L. Floyd is focused on the understanding and testing of electronics as a technician would be doing daily. You only need to know E = IR when you begin. He builds up a security system in modules, so you can understand fundamentals - power supplies, amplifiers, opamps...
Then he reviews testing, and troubleshooting of each component in a practical manner. By the end you can troubleshoot and understand analog systems.

The second book, "A practial introduction to electronic circuits" by Martin Hartley Jones, is a design-oriented book, focused more on EEs than the technican side. This means his focus is on designing electronics systems rather than maintaining existing systems.

I started with "NEETS", then went to "Fundamentals", and then to "A practial introduction..."

I bought both books used on the internet for about $25 each.

I know NEETS is "free", but "Fundamentals" really locked things in place for me, and "A practial introduction" added nuances that the other materials didn't have time to address.

Dave

I agree with gyrene's comments

I should have added that I spent 20 years in manufacturing, and it was always the techs who taught me how things REALLY worked - , and how to get things working again. It wasn't the other engineers.

While early in my career, I once spent 4 hours trying to figure out why a large motor (4,000 hp) wouldn't start. The entire production site was down because of this.

The 2nd shift electrician came in, didn't hear any motor noise, asked me what was wrong, and walked away. Two minutes later the motor started up.

The problem - a sticking contactor. He said just because someone designed something doesn't mean it works forever - especially in dirty environments. This was the beginning of my real eduction - thanks to a tech.

Hard copy?

It's great that these are available online for free, but I have a thing for actual books. Does anyone know where I can buy physical copies of these? I've looked and looked and can only find free downloads and ripoff CD roms. I don't know anybody in the Navy. Army and Air Force, yes, but I'm guessing that won't help, though I haven't tried.

I keep trying the usual used sources, such as abebooks, alibris, half etc. with no luck.

Thanks,

Zach

Made me look! Here's a link to FREE pdf files:

http://www.phy.davidson.edu/instrumentation/NEETS.htm

You can reprint them with the link above, just the tube section is OVER 200 pages though!

I know this is an old post though I thought someone might appreciate an update. All the NEETS pdf files are still available at Davidson and if you would like to convert them to a usable format for your Kindle (you can read a pdf file on a Kindle though the font is usually too small), use the k2pdfopt.exe file found here. Just drag your pdf file over the exe file and once the program comes up, hit "return" to accept all options. The result is a much more readable doc with all the diagrams included. It's not perfect, though darn close. I tried using Amazon's free conversion service described here:

"Kindle makes it easy to take your personal documents with you. Each Kindle has a unique and customizable e-mail address you can set on your Manage Your Kindle page. You can send unprotected Microsoft Word, PDF, HTML, TXT, RTF, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, PRC and MOBI files to your Kindle e-mail address.

To access your personal documents on your Kindle, send attachments to your Kindle's e-mail address ("name"@free.kindle.com). The files will be sent to your Kindle via the Wi-Fi connection and also to the e-mail address associated with your Amazon.com account at no charge.

To have your PDF documents converted to Kindle format so you can take advantage of functionality such as variable font size, annotation, Text-to-Speech, etc., type "Convert" in the subject of the e-mail when you submit your personal document to "name"@free.kindle.com. Image-heavy PDF files are presented in landscape orientation and don't work with devices that have auto-rotation, so those will be delivered in the Kindle format."

Although their conversion allows me to change fonts, I discovered quite a few illustrations were missing.

I was an Aviation Structural Mech instrutor in Memphis for 4 yrs. I can still remember the TWEETS bitching about the NEETS! Great series of books. And the reason it is easy to understand is that most manuals the Navy writes are on an 8th grade learning level. I wrote curriculum for many courses.

I was an Aviation Structural Mech instrutor in Memphis for 4 yrs. I can still remember the TWEETS bitching about the NEETS! Great series of books. And the reason it is easy to understand is that most manuals the Navy writes are on an 8th grade learning level.

No wonder I'm having such an easy time understanding something that gave me so much trouble in the past. That 8th grade level works well with someone like me with an Associate degree level of education. :)

I wrote curriculum for many courses.

Now I know who to ask when I get stuck. :) So far so good as I have made it to the middle of the 3rd chapter in the first MOD.

I have to admit the concept of GROUND is causing fits. I understand the zero potential part but trying to visualize the circuit paths in an amp for instance, that uses multiple circuit boards and chassis grounds drivers me crazier than I am. :)

It's great that these are available online for free, but I have a thing for actual books. Does anyone know where I can buy physical copies of these? I've looked and looked and can only find free downloads and ripoff CD roms. I don't know anybody in the Navy. Army and Air Force, yes, but I'm guessing that won't help, though I haven't tried.

I keep trying the usual used sources, such as abebooks, alibris, half etc. with no luck.

Thanks,

Zach

Well, you haven't logged on in months, but just on the off chance you set email notifications, here you go. This is the one you want: "Rate Training Manual NAVPERS 10087-C".

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Electro...361370446&sr=8-5&keywords=electronics+US+Navy

I too remember studying from these instruction manuals in Navy Electronics A School at NATTC Memphis. Initially I was an AX rent a crow (smile) then converted to AT when the AX rate was eliminated. I still have the complete set…somewhere.

"rent-a-crow": Now there's a phrase I haven't heard in 20 years! BTW, any of you guys see what's become of NATTC Millington? Wow..essentially all gone. As much as I disliked the local area the base itself was pretty nice. Big Exchange, nice pool, excellent fitness center, and a good-sized library. I often think of the sailors/Marines I was in class with and the guys in my barracks. We had an awful lot of great times. Even being TAD to the galley brings back a lot of laughs today.

"rent-a-crow": Now there's a phrase I haven't heard in 20 years! BTW, any of you guys see what's become of NATTC Millington? Wow..essentially all gone. As much as I disliked the local area the base itself was pretty nice. Big Exchange, nice pool, excellent fitness center, and a good-sized library. I often think of the sailors/Marines I was in class with and the guys in my barracks. We had an awful lot of great times. Even being TAD to the galley brings back a lot of laughs today.

What years were you there....I was there for school from Nov 78 to Feb 79 and then back to instruct From Oct 85 thru 89.

Back
Top Bottom