Altec Lansing stonehenge II

Very sweet and very loud and very punchy and very deep and beautifully made cabinets.

Classic medium sized 70's Altecs - I bought a pair way back then and eventually sold them when I moved to a smaller pad. If I lived in NY I'd run not walk.:thmbsp:

- Neil

It seems their list were $800 new. We sold them for $700. I think one of the best looking speeks Altec made.

Agreed, jimfet. The ones I've always lusted after were the Stonehenge IIIs with the 604 coaxial in it.

As far as marketing goes, this is probably the best name ever given to a speaker. The tall, narrow (for its time) cabinet and the Stonehenge name were brilliant. Unfortunately, Altec's distribution at the time wasn't too good, at least on the east coast and many dealers didn't carry them - at least in my experience. I've never heard the Stonehenge series.

Cheers,

David

You are correct. We could never get over 2 sets. We would sell out and couldn't get anymore for months. Those were some lovely oak cabs.
They had a papercone tweet, that wasn't the best in the world, but was on par with the rest at the time. Maybe why they went to the coax.

I have a set in my bedroom. The wife never has complained and actually has said how nice they look.

I have a single Stonehenge I with a dead tweeter and no grill. I hate to part it out since the cab is nice but the odds of finding a single and a grill is pretty slim.

I have two sets of Stonehenge I's. These are great, and you don't have the run of the mill oak, but afromosian teak. :)

Though one set has had the woofers replaced with Radio Shack woofers from the late 70's early 80's.

Bo

Got one set thinking of parting out

I have a set that I just haven't had the time to take the parts off. Grilles are ok but broken pegs. I think one tweeter has a hole if I recalled.

Bowtie427ss is wise and one of the Top Altec experts on this site. Stonehenge is indeed one of the coolest model names.

Hopefully I have removed the source of the confusion and everyone can relax a bit. :) Take care and thanks for letting me know about this Tony. The only reason I removed the other posts was so that there is no further mention of it.

how are they worth looking at for 300?
They are nice Lookers that's for Shure! There was a set of mint ones for sale alittle way away from me awhile back....I should have jumped on them.... they sold quick! I have enough stuff....but could always use more! Feeding the addiction! LOL.

Back
Top Bottom