Onkyo TX-866 Tuner Problem

truckguygmc23

Hi,

I recently inherited an Onkyo TX-866 from my dad who purchased a new H/K receiver because the tuner does not pick up any stations anymore on the onkyo. I am using this unit right now to power my speakers in my workshop which it does a great job, but it would be nice to be able to use the tuner. Any ideas why this function might not work. I am some what technical and I am familar with how to solder. Is there any particular place/area that I should check inside this unit. Thanks for your help!

I see that the Onkyo TX-866 is rated at 80 watts/channel, and is probably a decent amplifier, but servicing the tuner section is really for someone who is a technician, plus you would need the service manual. You might want to consider just finding a used tuner that is usable and connecting it to the aux input. I did this with my Pioneer SX-780 receiver. I picked up a Kenwood tuner on EBay for a cost less than what fixing the tuner section would cost. Anyway, that's one way that's possible. Good luck!

I have a TX-866 in my bedroom system, and that model is excellent! Plenty of power, lots of headroom, and will handle low impedance quite well. Not quite as many bells and whistles as the TX-870 Integra, but close.

The remote will not only work all of the functions on Onkyo tape decks and CD changers, but will even work the A/B speaker selection switches.

While the tuner section of the TX-866 is good, it is not spectacular. It has only two ceramic IF filters. There is room on the board for a third filter and another transistor and a few resistors, but that is jumpered around. I swapped out the filters for a pair of new Murata 180 khz filters for a good improvement in sensitivity and selectivity.

What do you have for an antenna?

If you can't get the tuner section working, and since this is just a "garage system", I suggest the same as John above, you'd probably do better picking up a separate tuner from that auction site, and plugging it into one of the unused aux inputs.

Back
Top Bottom