Tweaks for Sansui 771?

alexandru

Hi guys,

What tweaks do you recommend for a Sansui 771? I got it few days ago for $35. It's in a very good condition. I have the user manual and the service manual.

P.S.: I'm also waiting for two Sansui tuners to arrive (got them from e-Bay). A T-700 and a TU-S9. Any suggestions?

Clean the controls and adjust the DC offset and bias current. If you still feel a need to tweak, change all the electrolytic caps. Not much more needs to be done.

- Pete

I have Monitor Audio Gold Ref 20 but since I got the 771, it has been running with a pair of Onkyo (small ones). I've also tested it with the stereo output of a Dish receiver and with a Marantz DV7600 plus Musical Fidelity X10V3 tube buffer. After it will break in, I will probably test it with the MA speakers too.

I've also tested the tuner part of the 771 connected on the Tape1 output to a Musical Fidelity A3.2cr Pre&Amp plus Monitor Audio speakers, against a Kenwood KT-593 digital tuner. The Kenwood has better stage, better bass and better highs but I think it's too early for a final conclusion. I intend to test it against the Sansui T-100 and the TU-S9 as soon as possible.

No matter what, I'd like to keep the 771 for my daughter's room. It is very cool and I like it a lot. For me, I'm looking for a good tuner. I have high hopes for TU-S9.

Pete. I've cleaned the contacts and I've adjusted the DC offset and bias current. The right channel was way below 0V. The bias current was off on both channels.

Onepixel, it sounds surprisingly well with the Monitor Audio GR20 and Marantz Dv7600+MF Tube buffer. I played only a Chesky CD so far but the 771 will remain in this config until next week.

Guys, thanks a lot for your help. I put two photos online:
http://picasaweb.google.com/imreiki/Sansui

Here are the DC and bias current settings for 771:
DC - 0V L-ch || Measure speaker Terminal L-ch || Adjust F1-1499/VR01 for 0V+-10mV
DC - 0V R-ch || Measure speaker Terminal R-ch || Adjust F1-1499/VR02 for 0V+-10mV
Bias current L-ch || Measure F-1500/F01 || Adjust F1-1499/VR03 for 19+-mA
Bias current R-ch || Measure F-1500/F02 || Adjust F1-1499/VR04 for 19+-mA

For more info dl the service manual from HiFi Engine.

I have the little brother of your amp, the 441. After recapping, changing some bulbs and cleaning the controls, it has played beautifully since. Sansui made their receivers to last, and I for one am glad! :D

The 771 and 881 are real workhorses. They (along with almost the whole Sansui ##1 series) had very few problems. With care and the ocasional cleaning of the switches, etc. if'll probably work longer then you and I will.

Since these were circa 1976, I'd suggest changing out all of the Electrolytic capacitors. But, if it works, sounds good, and you don't want to do the work. That's fine too...

Back
Top Bottom