Vintage repair in Dallas, TX?

mshelton

Can anyone reccommend a high-quality vintage repair center in Dallas, TX. I have a Sansui G-33000 and the right channel in the amp is not working.

I will appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Marti

Circle Stereo down here in Austin does very good work...a two and a half hour drive for you, but worth considering

Bayard's Electronics in north Dallas does good work. They are a full-service "Factory Authorized" service center.

Dallas VCR and Electronics is an independent one-man shop in the old Medallion Shopping Center on Northwest Highway, and has come through for me as well on some vintage gear.

Bayard's Electronics in north Dallas does good work. They are a full-service "Factory Authorized" service center.

Dallas VCR and Electronics is an independent one-man shop in the old Medallion Shopping Center on Northwest Highway, and has come through for me as well on some vintage gear.
Thanks very much, I will give them a call!

I see you use a DAC - would I be better to purchase a lower end CD player and sound card and then buy a DAC - or - would it be better to buy a higher end digital media players and not use a DAC, knowing I can not afford everything?

Marti,

I use a DAC because the chip-set was better than the mid-line Yamaha's set was. Plus, I was able grab the Entech when they were selling for $50, so it was a cost-driven decision.

Starting from scratch, I'd just get a higher-end cd/sacd/dvd player and keep the chain simpler. Truth be told, my Toshiba SD-4000 DVD/CD player sounds extremely good, and it only cost me $40 at Best Buy. Those Toshiba's have a great DAC set in them!

Any updates to this list ? I have recently acquired a Pioneer SX-650 and was looking for a competent place in the Dallas area to have it checked out, adjusted, re-capped, etc...

I see you're in Plano. I've heard AJ Electronics (Park/Coit) and Sartor (Parker/Independence) do good work, but I've never used them. I believe it's $50 just to open it up and look, but it would go towards any work if you decided to go with them. I'm not sure how much vintage work they do, but they do specialize in VCR's, CRT TV's and such, but again, I wouldn't know first-hand.

I was watching an auction for a 650 that ended yesterday that was being sold locally. It went for like $20 or something and I meant to bid but lost track of time. Good luck with the work, and let us know if you use either of the ones I mentioned or find another reputable place in town. I may be looking soon if I pick up another Sansui.

Thanks all. Yeah, I've heard some of the feedback on Circle Stereo. Several folks have also mentioned Austin Stereo as being a good spot, and Many Moons Audio looks like it's worth checking out, too.

ccislander, yes, that was probably me on that eBay auction. Felt like I got a really good deal, even if it ends up needing work.

(Oh, and jmoliff ? I find myself quite, errr...fond of your acct's icon. Would like that camera to pan down just a bit, tho' ;)

Thanks all. Yeah, I've heard some of the feedback on Circle Stereo. Several folks have also mentioned Austin Stereo as being a good spot, and Many Moons Audio looks like it's worth checking out, too.

ccislander, yes, that was probably me on that eBay auction. Felt like I got a really good deal, even if it ends up needing work.

(Oh, and jmoliff ? I find myself quite, errr...fond of your acct's icon. Would like that camera to pan down just a bit, tho' ;)

There's a guy in McKinney who I've heard good things about. He "advertises" on CL. I have a friend in Dallas who does A+ work out of his house.

You might also contact that Dallas Vintage Audio store in Bedford. They post ads on CL fairly regularly with contact info. Search "vintage" and they will come up. They might have someone they recommend.

I have done business with Jott's Electronics off 360 in Arlington- they do good work as well!!
DC

There's a guy in McKinney who I've heard good things about. He "advertises" on CL. I have a friend in Dallas who does A+ work out of his house.

I know this thread is old, but I'm looking for a fair priced repair person that doesn't have to pay rent on a building. Do you mind sharing your friends info? PM if not comfortable with public info? Thank you!

I know this thread is old, but I'm looking for a fair priced repair person that doesn't have to pay rent on a building. Do you mind sharing your friends info? PM if not comfortable with public info? Thank you!

Alas, my friend has hung up his oscilloscope. But here a couple of options...

Metzger Vintage Audio. It is a storefront, but well thought of.
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=metzger vintage audio

R&B Stereo in Cedar Park, Texas. Home-based Shop. Again, well thought of, but a bit of a drive.
https://www.rbstereo.com/repair-services

Back
Top Bottom