Marantz R-1270 - need advice

suntrace1

I hope I came to the right place for advice.

I was looking for a receiver for my old pair of speakers and turntable in my study room. I fell in love into an old receiver, Marantz R-1270 Superscope, mostly because of the design. But there are two problems:

- first one is, I can't visit the seller personally because of the distance between us, to hear it play. It would have to play a pair of B&W DM 302 speakers, here's a link to their specs.

- second one, is the price. Seller's asking price is 133€ or 170$ and wouldn't even hear about my 100€ (130$) offer. I can't decide if he's asking too much. Receiver is in a good condition and refurbished, but still, it's an old piece of electronics.

Here's a photo from the ad
marantzstereoscoper-1270.jpg

I've thought about it for whole weekend, but just can't make a decision on my own, mostly because of lack of experience and knowledge, so I'm asking You for help.

I apologize for my English.

I can't speak as to the European market, but that seems like a lot for what is a nice, but not really outstanding, model. I have a couple of Superscope models (R-350 and R-340, the R-350 is basically and earlier version of your receiver with a silver face and pink lighting) and like them, but I don't believe that I'd pay more than US$75 for a pristine model (which, BTW, this one does look great).

I believe the R-1270 was 25w/ch.

Welcome to AK!

Thank You for your comment and welcome, both are much appreciated. I hope I won't get a serious "vintage bug" here :)

Too bad that US and UK have 120V current, otherwise I would get the receiver somewhere overseas.

vintage bug???

its all ready hooked you my fellow ak friend:thmbsp: like it did with me, i started with just one a 2325 i got from my uncle when he passed away then 15 yrs later , as of this yr that is im now counting the recievers that i own hmmmm,,,,, vintage total of 30 recievers tape decks 12 amps 10, so u see my friend it all starts with just the first one:yes: once u hear it well. then ur gonna be on a mission to save what u can!!!! welcome an keep loving 2 and 4 channel vintage

Mwahahahahahaha! :D Just by coming you are allready infected:yes: There is no cure and "resistance is futile" you have been assimilated:thmbsp: Welcome to AK!:music:

suntrace1, let me know if you get the R-1270 - I can send you a copy of the owners manual for it (although, it has no specs whatsoever, other than it weighs a bit over 20 lbs. I went looking for it to give you some specs...oh well).

I don't think it's far to call that a Marantz.....that's stretching things a bit. Superscope was the distributor for Marantz for a time, but their products were designed for a lower price point than the comparably powered Marantz. Although the Superscope pictured has much in common appearance-wise with the Marantz 2015, they're really not the same. :no: If you want a Marantz, get a Marantz.

suntrace1 said:
I hope I came to the right place for advice.

I was looking for a receiver for my old pair of speakers and turntable in my study room. I fell in love into an old receiver, Marantz R-1270 Superscope, mostly because of the design. But there are two problems:

- first one is, I can't visit the seller personally because of the distance between us, to hear it play. It would have to play a pair of B&W DM 302 speakers, here's a link to their specs.

- second one, is the price. Seller's asking price is 133€ or 170$ and wouldn't even hear about my 100€ (130$) offer. I can't decide if he's asking too much. Receiver is in a good condition and refurbished, but still, it's an old piece of electronics.

Here's a photo from the ad
marantzstereoscoper-1270.jpg

I've thought about it for whole weekend, but just can't make a decision on my own, mostly because of lack of experience and knowledge, so I'm asking You for help.

I apologize for my English.

Hello 133€ for that is very expensive, you can find a "True" Marantz for less.
Where are you located?

Tony

In Slovenia, that's near Austria and Italy. Buying something similar from E-bay.de (Germany) would cost me almost the same amount because of the postage and heavy weight. The seller said, that this is practically Marantz 2235 (?).

He has also some other receivers for the same amount, that caught my eye:

NIKKO STA-8080
NIKKOSTA-8080.jpg

Vivanco 4800
vivanco4800.jpg

Pioneer SX-535
pioneersx-535.jpg

Would you pick any of these out before R-1270?

Thank You for the offer CUlater, maybe I'll take your offer, if I decide to take the plunge... I can already picture myself, eating pasta and sleeping without my darling for a month... :)

Get the Nikko STA-8080:
Manufacture Years: 1973 - 1978
Power: 45
Retail MSRP: $400.00

marantzbe said:
Hello 133€ for that is very expensive, you can find a "True" Marantz for less.
Where are you located?

Tony

I understand now why the price was so high.
Sometimes the German and the Italian ask a lot of money for receivers or other HIFI items.

But with a patience I'm sure you'll find a true Marantz for less.
You could have a baby Marantz like the 2015 for less than 100€.

Locally I can get a 2225L and a 2215BL for 87€ each (condition at this time unknown)

Tony.

suntrace1 said:
Thank You for your comment and welcome, both are much appreciated. I hope I won't get a serious "vintage bug" here :)

Too bad that US and UK have 120V current, otherwise I would get the receiver somewhere overseas.

Uk has 220V, the plugs are different, but the main voltage is 220v-240V like the other European countries.

vintagestereo said:
I don't think it's far to call that a Marantz.....that's stretching things a bit. Superscope was the distributor for Marantz for a time, but their products were designed for a lower price point than the comparably powered Marantz. Although the Superscope pictured has much in common appearance-wise with the Marantz 2015, they're really not the same. :no: If you want a Marantz, get a Marantz.

Superscope was for a time the distributor for Marantz but, in the 70's until Philips take Marantz over, Superscope was the owner of Marantz

Tony.

You need to go by the market where you are not where we are. I remember going overseas some time ago and had my kit full of cameras cheifly from the 30s through early 60s. There were for use and not for sale. I hit 1 country and went into a local camera shop and the owner begged to buy everything I had. In the US at the time, there were $5 to $25 cameras I had bought from the "any offer accepted" pile. I walked out with a new Leica M4 in exchange.

As for alternatives, I tend to look at relatively unknown units so the Vivanco 4800 looks interesting as the others I recognize. If you decide against the Superscope that I would not discount so quickly I'd suggest researching the 4800. It looks interesting.

Hi all,

I have recently scored Superscope R-1270 with black front on Ebay for sensible coin. While awaiting for its arrival I have done my research on that receiver, whole series and finally even got to Superscope company profile and history. Back in 70's Marantz branded products sold to more wealthy customers only, Superscope identified that there is a great potential in the market for slightly less expensive Mid-end gear they could possibly address so they started thinking about resources necessary to create offer for such market. Company decided to use already contracted for Marantz components supply (mainly components from discontinued or reduced production models), moved manufacture to Taiwan, fully facilitated, way more affordable than Japan at the time and finally they drove quality control down to minimum. As an effect they introduced Mid-end hifi series called "Custom component". Superscope R - 1270 is pure Marantz, but born without ceremony as mixed component unit and not tested to brand standards. It consist of Marantz 2235 power amp section, 2215 tuner section and 1060 or 1070 preamp, Capacitors are Elna and it feels good quality in general. I have cleaned mine, fitted LED bulbs including Red LED for dial pointer, applied generous dose of Servisol to switches and pots and left for 24h. Receiver sound like 2235 with very slightly darker tone and looks astonishing.

Back
Top Bottom