Audio-Technica AT98e cartridge

andrewto

Hi everyone, I'm just wondering if anyone has any info on the AT98e cartridge by Audio-Technica. I just got my first TT (Realistic LAB 2000 linear tracking) and I can't really find any info on this cartridge. Is it original to the TT? Is it decent (considering I spent $40 for the TT)? The only real piece of info I found was that someone said the stylus is a little blunt. Would it be worth it to upgrade the stylus? I'm starting to transfer my vinyl to my computer (using an Onkyo TX-4500 and a Line 6 Toneport), so I'd like to have something decent. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Unknown as to whether it was original, but it was a good cartridge series. It is a clone of the AT-112EP, a .4 x .7 elliptical and p-mount successor to the AT12E. Not a bad stylus, but you could upgrade to the ATN-132EP or any other group L stylus at stereoneedles.com.

Thanks for the reply. Do you think it's worth the $40 or $50 to upgrade? I might do it anyway, just to have an extra... Also, what about a new cartridge altogether? Or would that not make much of a difference? I'm pretty new to turntables, so I apologize if this is common knowledge...

IMO the result of purchasing the 132EP stylus would be better than any p-mount cartridge you could purchase new for the same price. I'll think you'll be very satisfied. Grados are often suggested. They hum with some turntables and you'd have to spend a lot more to improve on the AT.

Also, for a cheap backup cartridge, the AT92ECD is a great deal.

Thanks for the advice. I did a little research and found out that Shibata are better for reproducing high frequencies than ellipticals. Would you recommend a Shibata? Is there one for my TT? I'm having some problems with inner groove distortion (I had it on 2 brand new records), which could be the stylus or just the record itself... not sure. Also, I saw that Ortofon (which I've read good things about) makes p-mount cartridges for $55 and $84--would those fit my TT? Would they be worth the 10-30 dollars more?

at: Nope, 'cause those two Ortofons actually just sport entry level needles. If you put an original ATN132EP onto your AT98E body, that combination would be around half way between an OMP20 and an OMP30...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Thanks! I'm getting the idea that the needle is more important than the cartridge (at least with my cartridge)...?

at: Yup, in many cartridge families there basically is just one body type, so that the quality level of the needle is the only difference.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

OK thanks for all the help! Looks like I'll put the 132EP on my wish list. One more thing: I found this which is a different color than the one on stereoneedles.com. There's also no logo... does it look legit? Anyone have experience with this site? If it's real, it would be a real steal...

at: Nope, that's not the real deal, but just a cheap 3rd party replacement...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Right, what you have to realize is that often a stylus is listed as a replacement for a cartridge. It will fit and work, but it is often a lower model, as well as being of lesser quality. In this case, that is a cheap, aftermarket version of the ATN-102P, the entry level conical stylus. It will fit your cartridge body, but it's a few steps below the 112EP and far from a 132EP. Admittedly AT's authentic conicals weren't half bad, but aftermarket styli can run hot and cold.

Gotcha. Thanks for the tip-off! Guess I'll just cough up the $70 and get it from stereoneedles.com. Thanks Howard and Manfred!

Stereophile rates the AT 95e (same as the AT 95 b) high. I just put one on my Thorens TD 160 since it (the AT 95b) is the cartridge that comes with some of their other models. It sounds amazingly good for the $49.00 price with Needle Doctor (sometimes they give you a coupon that covers the shipping cost). I was fond of some of the low end Grados, but this is the first time the Thorens has really come alive in my system.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom