Pioneer SX-1980 in Craigslist

There is a price threshold, where you are risking too much green for the piece. This one is one, unless you will be happy with a pricey paper-weight. Even a fully restored one is a risk at this price point. It is over 35 years old. There is alot of potential for failure, with many components made of unobtainium.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Don't hope for mint, hope for a full all-out restoration. At that level, have them prove it.

There are only a few parts that are totally unobtanium, most of the rest can be worked around. (power output transistors, pa1002a's)

Quite frankly that price level's an EchoWars / Punker X (tuner work) 1980 or a markthefixer 1980 (I do full tuner resto's and alignments, EW sends it to Mike..., )

Also with many many little extras done that are quite time consuming - like removing all the switches for either mechanical or ultrasonic cleaning, NOT just deoxiting.... Getting the tuning cap cleaned up to be totally mechanically noiseless, and minimally microphonic (I ain't tellin how I do it or test for it... but it's part of my rave tuner reviews.) More than 200 parts are replaced....

NON-WORKING sx-1980 fixer uppers have been going around 1000.00 for quite a while.

working units are about 1600 - 1800 if they haven't been serviced

then serviced is 2500+, no BS. with well restored units going OVER 3200, recently...

Last edited:
Don't hope for mint, hope for a full all-out restoration. At that level, have them prove it.

There are only a few parts that are totally unobtanium, most of the rest can be worked around. (power output transistors, pa1002a's)

Quite frankly that price level's an EchoWars / Punker X (tuner work) 1980 or a markthefixer 1980 (I do full tuner resto's and alignments, EW sends it to Mike..., )

Also with many many little extras done that are quite time consuming - like removing all the switches for either mechanical or ultrasonic cleaning, NOT just deoxiting.... Getting the tuning cap cleaned up to be totally mechanically noiseless, and minimally microphonic (I ain't tellin how I do it or test for it... but it's part of my rave tuner reviews.) More than 200 parts are replaced....

NON-WORKING sx-1980 fixer uppers have been going around 1000.00 for quite a while.

working units are about 1600 - 1800 if they haven't been serviced

then serviced is 2500+, no BS. with well restored units going OVER 3200, recently...
Mark,

Working around unavailable parts is essentially a re-design task. That, and fixing what is broke, or what will break in the future, does not intimidate you or me. However, someone buying one of these units needs to be able to count the true and potential cost up front. One-way shipping across the country for repair is over $100, one way. Plus the risk of shipping damage.

Someone who pays thousands of dollars for a receiver, does not want to spend hundreds or thousands more to bring it up to speed. If they are willing, at least they won't be going in blind. These are rare and fine beasts, but the risks with them are high, especially for the non-tech. That is the reason for my input.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Unless you know the unit your taking a big risk.

For 1/2 that money there are much better items...

Wow! I was expecting to see $1500, not $2700! I'd be thinking about a Marantz 2500 or some McIntosh gear, as stated above...

I have a rule, even for a $20 item, let alone $2700, and that rule is... NO PICTURE, NO PURCHASE! If you want my money, you sure as hell can take 13 seconds and shoot a photo...

I have a rule, even for a $20 item, let alone $2700, and that rule is... NO PICTURE, NO PURCHASE! If you want my money, you sure as hell can take 13 seconds and shoot a photo...

hmmm... some of my best scores have been because there was no picture.

Back
Top Bottom