I really should know better but....(Bose 901 musings)

It looks like Bose's sales dept is clueless about it't products, since they told me just the opposite. The tech dept just sent me this reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------
*****To reply to this message, please select the reply button. To help us expedite your inquiry, please be sure to include our original response.******

Hello David TH:

Yes it is true..you have to make sure the label on the speaker itself says 901 Series VI Version II. This version just came out about 3 months ago. Otherwise, if you just see 901 Series VI (without the version II)..then the speakers could have been made anytime from 1988 to 2010.

Thank you for contacting Bose Corporation.
Kevin
Product and Technical Support Team
-------------------------------------------------
Bose Corporation
US Telephone: (800)367-4008
International Tel: (508)766-1900
Email: http://www.bose.com/ContactUs
Fax: (800)278-7970
Telephone Hours: Mon-Fri 8:30AM-9:00PM, Sat 9:00AM-5:00PM (EST)
-------------------------------------------------
Music has the power to move you -and Bose has an iPod speaker system that moves with your music. The SoundDock Portable digital music system reproduces your favorite tunes with fullness and clarity. And it's so compact, you can take it just about anywhere, even outdoors. Ask about our special package prices. Call 800-767-4131 to learn more about our exciting options or visit http://www.bose.com

------------------------------
Technical Support Information:
[Email Id:1-8QLRA8]
[Email Agent Id:1-FJC4V]
[Queue Id:1-HMFN]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

It looks like I owe someone an apology bigtime.

HiFiSoundGuy, I want to apologize big time for doubting you. I guess those coincidences that didn't add up, I guess they were really coincidences after all. i'll understand if you don't want to except my apology. Wouldn't blame you at all. But I'm still going to man up to my part here, and admit I was simply wrong about you. I simply thought this was a big joke once Bose sales dept said this wasn't true. Everything went kind of downhill from there, on my part. I sincerely feel bad about it. Since you don't know me, perhaps that doesn't mean much to you, but I do sincerely feel bad. If you say you have a pair of these, i'm no longer going to doubt your word. You proved your case as far as I'm concerned.

I'm going to have to get me a pair of these now. Don't know when, but I've got to have a pair is all I know. I guess I could trade my series 4 in their trade up program and probably get a pretty good price reduction on them.

Apology excepted......

I pulled out my Marantz pm7001 integrated amp to see how it would sound with my 901's and I could not believe it. The marantz sounded better than my used NAD M3 integrated amp with the 901's ! The marantz is a better match with the 901's. One of my friends said he would buy my NAD M3. I have to turn the volume up over half way to get the 901's to sing with my used marantz pm7001 but it will be fine until I can get something with a little more power. Later on I'm going to buy a marantz pm8004 and a Marantz mm7025 stereo amp.

My Series 6's sound great hooked to My Onkyo TX8555 receiver.This is my bedroom system.I'm interested in the reasoning behing the new drivers for the Series 6 version 2's. I wonder why they didn't call them Series 7's?

My Series 6's sound great hooked to My Onkyo TX8555 receiver.This is my bedroom system.I'm interested in the reasoning behing the new drivers for the Series 6 version 2's. I wonder why they didn't call them Series 7's?

I wonder about that myself :scratch2:

Which way is 'backwards'?

I got some series IVs dirt cheap and refoamed them. Have them on stands with the 8 driver side facing the walls, ('bout a foot-ft and a half away.) That is how they sounded best to me. I was also under the impression the front was the side with only one driver?

I'm thinking there are a lot of version Ones out there that would instantly be less desirable. Folks like Amazon would have to discount them.

The V shape with the 8 drivers is rear,front has 1 driver.

Get the user manual...Here ->
http://products.bose.com/pdf/customer_service/owners/og_901.pdf

Do you like them or do you think they suck ?
(like allmost everyone here )

Lets put it this way, they fill the room with sound like other speakers dont, but they do sound kind of muddy or messy. They sound better to me from the next room, where I can still hear the stereo channel separation.
I wouldn't buy them brand new, or recommend anyone else to, but for what I gave I couldn't pass them up.

I think I have less than $100 tied up. (cant remember for sure what I gave, but I'm thinking it was like 20-25 bucks for them with ragged, rotted foam surrounds. They were nearly free.

I like them fine, but I think they are overrated.

By the same token, I think they are over-hated.

They certainly are not *bad* speakers.

Lets put it this way, they fill the room with sound like other speakers dont, but they do sound kind of muddy or messy. They sound better to me from the next room, where I can still hear the stereo channel separation.
I wouldn't buy them brand new, or recommend anyone else to, but for what I gave I couldn't pass them up.

I think I have less than $100 tied up. (cant remember for sure what I gave, but I'm thinking it was like 20-25 bucks for them with ragged, rotted foam surrounds. They were nearly free.

I like them fine, but I think they are overrated.

By the same token, I think they are over-hated.

They certainly are not *bad* speakers.

Maybe 901's made in the past sounded like that... BUT NOT the latest series 6 version 2's!.. They are now using different speaker drivers in these latest 901's. :music:

I wonder why they didn't call them Series 7's?

I'm wondering the same myself. Also wondering why Bose is remaining so secretive about this upgrade? when a new version of software comes out, usually the public is made aware.

Would really like to get me a pair of these. It would be nice to know all of the facts involved tho. Did they just do something different with the drivers and EQ, or did they also make improvements to the interiors of the cabinets as well, such as the internal ports?

BTW, is that an 1801 in your avatar? Sort of resembles that 90 pound beast sitting in my closet.

Yes it's a early model 1801 that I hope to upgrade soon. I'm currently running it's twin a 1800 pushing 4 901 series V's at the Mancave.

I tried some new Isolation feet in my system.....Wagner Anti-Vibration pads for $4 each. You can get these 4 inch square pads at any HVAC service department. These pads had a very strong rubber odor so I had to wrap them in some Cling wrap...plastic wrap. I put 3 of these pads under all my audio/video gear. Let these pads settle-in good for 7 days and your be shocked :yes: what these Isolation feet can do for your whole audio/video system !! My BOSE 901's have never sounded better !

Bose 901's!

I had a stacked pair of Series 4 a long time ago.

Series VI pair here now just for fun. I also have a pair of Walnut 802 Series II's and a 302 sub that I have garage system plans for.

It's truly amazing how much wattage a pair of 901's will take.

I've run 'em with some fairly hefty QSC's (500W/channel) and they still want more.

901/802/302 are my fave Bose. You can keep the rest, and say what you will, 901's are fun. :thmbsp:

Best,

Paul

I think BOSE got get right THIS TIME with these new and improved BOSE 901 series 6 version 2's ! I think THESE BOSE 901's will become an INSTANT CLASSIC !!

Last edited:
My 901 series 6 version 2's are settling in good now. I now have my 901's only 12 inches off the floor and they sound DAMN GOOD this way. These 901's sound very... much like my friends QUAD ESL 2905's BUT my 901's can play a lot louder and also have a better bottom end too !

I think THESE BOSE 901's will become an INSTANT CLASSIC !!

I guess I don't see how tho, since you're about the only one on the internet that seems to own a pair, and the fact that Bose isn't even promoting these new versions. Even their sales dept seems clueless about them. I wonder why Bose isn't being more aggressive in their promotion of these, since it is indeed true, Bose did make a version 2 a cpl of months back?

Yep. I have a bunch of 901s, but as a younger man I coveted Klipschorns. I might however, have the longest continuous history at AK of owning and using a pair of 901s. Took possession in January, 1969.

Back
Top Bottom