Flawless SX-1280 craigslist score

Vinyl Seance

listens to doom loud
Totally got my dream monster amp today off the old craigslist. I saw the sx 1280 minutes after it was posted yesterday evening with an incredibly fair price (Compared to what they been getting on ebay). I sent an email and got first dibs. Upon meeting the owner and seeing the amp in person I was shocked to find a minty, scratch less and recently internally cleaned monster!!! The owner warned me that the phono channels were faulty but I said I didn't mind and payed cash and hurried out before the guy changed his mind.
I got it home and with a quick deoxit spray I fixed the phono channels and now I'm listening to one of the "end of an era" Monster receivers and loving it.
Totally stoked!!!!!
I attached some photos!
The last is a shot of the new sx 1280 with my sx 980 on top that will soon make its way to a new home ( I only allow myself to keep two working receivers or shit would get crazy. The other keeper is my sa 9500)
VS

Attachments

• DSC_0713.jpg
    DSC_0713.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC_0715.jpg
    DSC_0715.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC_0720.jpg
    DSC_0720.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC_0721.jpg
    DSC_0721.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 198
Nice score..

I just love the internal layout of these monster receivers SX1250, 1280 and SX1980...

Awesome grab! A nice unit indeed. :yes:

It's not a score unless you mention how much $$$ you paid. :D

Very Nice...I picked up a SX-1250 last month...Started to order caps...
will be Recapping this in the fall.

What is your opinion on how it sounds compared to the SX-980?

Awesome grab! A nice unit indeed. :yes:

It's not a score unless you mention how much $$$ you paid. :D

Thanks for the kind words yall!

Tuna,
I feel weird putting the price out in the open cause I have a feeling the former owner may be a member. Lets just say I got it for what a "good deal" on a sx- 1250 would be. :banana:

I absolutely loved the sound my sx-980 put out and in my opinion the sx- 1280's wider tone range just expands on where the 980 left off. More options and much more power. I havent been able to crank it yet though....... but I had it to the 8 0'clock position and woke my roomate on the floor above me . :thmbsp:

if he's a member than he wouldn't advertise on CL.
You feel like me after getting a nm SX-1980 for 100 bucks.
Nice score

Maybe the former owner is an AK member but not a subsciber?

Hence he does not enoy the benefits of Barter Town, where most of the good deals appear to happen on AK.

(Shameless plug to subscribe to AK)

:thmbsp:

Very nice! I have a fully restored (by AK's MattSD) SX-1280 and I love it. Great receiver. Congrats!

You feel like me after getting a nm SX-1980 for 100 bucks.
Nice score

Wow. Thats a dream to get a sx1980 for $100.

Anyhow, I have sold all my vintage gear on CL with good results.....its cause guys like us are always sharking on it for that great vintage dream buy.

So, Question for the group........I am always reading how a recap does wonders for the sx series.....my sx 1280 is in great shape inside and out but would it be worth a recap? After all it is an old amp......I also would like to know if there is a way to tell if it was recapped recently by a previous owner..... my guess may be yes just by its overall condition. Truth be told Im not even sure what a recap is.:D

Get in there and take some close up photo's of the power and amp boards and post them---some of our experts will chime in and tell you if you have original parts.
In answer to your thoughts --I would plan on a recap sometime down the road.
A recap of my 1250 did it wonders.

Back
Top Bottom