A-1500R Info

docj

Does anyone know about the A-1500R integrated amp?

Recently got one. All I know is that it is mid-1980's, rated at 160wpc into 8 ohms.

Is this one of the uncommon late models that is a high quality amp? I'm trying to decide whether to spend money on refurb.

Thanks!

Jim

Hi Steen,
Just one further question, since I have never seen another A-1500R listed and information is really scarce. I can't figure out what series of products it belonged to or if it was a one-off effort for Sansui. Are the components crap, or mainly quality of the body? It was made in Japan, not Taiwan, and it doesn't seem to have been part of a rack system. I paid very little for it, but I never know what to make of pricing for something as obscure as this amp. The amp really is a mystery to me. Thanks! Jim

Hi Steen,
Just one further question, since I have never seen another A-1500R listed and information is really scarce. I can't figure out what series of products it belonged to or if it was a one-off effort for Sansui. Are the components crap, or mainly quality of the body? It was made in Japan, not Taiwan, and it doesn't seem to have been part of a rack system. I paid very little for it, but I never know what to make of pricing for something as obscure as this amp. The amp really is a mystery to me. Thanks! Jim
Hi Jim
During 1980 - 1985 all Japanese manufaturers were looking to cut costs and Sansui forced to do it. They start to use less expensive materials such as lower rated components, thin metal, smaller power transformers, plastic front and side panels with snap in assembling etc etc. They also added fancy features in order to compensate these changes and made the items more attractive. Your model A-1500 is a part of systems 1540, 1560 and 1590. See pic of 1540 and 1560.
The weight of the units made before 1980 and during 1980 - 1985 is significant caused by the robustness. Your R-1500, 160WPC Receiver weight is10 kilos compared to Receiver 9090, 110WPC and a weight of 23 kilos.

You can read more about Sansui at http://www.sansui.us/

Attachments

• System 1540.jpg
    System 1540.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom