Wd-40?

well, the reason I used it on this particular record is because it was disposable.....therefore, after reading all these comments, I will leave it indefinetely to see what happens.

I have used WD-40 since the 60's on just about everything that needed a good cleaning and have the utmost faith in that respect......it's what I use on my vintage faceplates, etc, and does a great job at that.

I would never use it as a lubricant or for joint relief (well, maybe for that?), but it is a forever product in my cleaning bin.:thmbsp:

It will be interesting to see what happens after it has sat for awhile, if it works I see no problems with it as long as it is cleaned well after using the WD. :thmbsp:

WD 40 is nothing but Kerocine,,, I wouldnt use it on records

yes...in an aeresol form, absolute crap around plastics and vinyl, in time it will eat / destroy it....ask anyone who was foolish enough to use it to lubricate screen door rollers, etc. It's a petrolem distalate, no way would I get it near any of my Lp's !!!!!!!!!!!!

I will tell you this from experimenting with old throwaway records.

WD-40, while cleaning the record somewhat...doesn't really clean the record. It leaves a film on it regardless how much soap you throw at it. It will evaporate after a few weeks...leaving a gritty residue in the vinyl.

Thicker vinyl survives...although it will have a tendency to warp (i can't explain why). It will also make the vinyl brittle...like Shellac brittle. I dropped an LP treated with WD-40...broke in to about six nice little pieces.

Vegetable oil was an original thought for trying to do restorations as a wet-play/lubricant....thinking it'd stick around a bit longer. It does...it sticks around FOREVER. I'm glad I was using old old vinyl for that little attempt. It absolutely ruined the LP. Not only was it greasy....but some of them also became very brittle.

Point is..if it's anything stronger than distilled water with drug-store isopropyl (not idea, but will work) and you're not giving it a thoro rinse with distilled afterwards and drying it immedately....you're likely going to have some negative reaction with the vinyl.

I once read a discritive analysis of WD-40 that said it was NOT a petroleum derivitive :scratch2::no:product, but was derived from vegetable oils. After reading other analysis I decided I would not use it for salad dressing :(

Last edited:
WD-40 is definitely a petroleum derivative. Up until 1980 it was merely the liquid that accompanied natural gas from Texas to NYC. The Brooklyn Union Gas (BUG) company sold this liquid, as known as 'natural gasoline' to the makers of WD-40 (then located in NJ). Perhaps they added something to it, probably not. It is a little lighter than kerosene. So this would work well to clean up anything that is hydrocarbon based. Of course it would need to be cleaned off any surface - detergent would be needed.

I have no recommendations on it use on vinyl, But I can definitely recommend that it not be put on your skin. A funny part of the BUG story, in 1980 they discovered that PCBs were contaminating regional natural gas liquids (from pipeline compressor lubricants). So they had to dispose of the liquids as a EPA regulated contaminated liquid, WD-40 had to be made from another source.

Back
Top Bottom