No Way! old video game is over $12K ?!!

madpioneer

I know there are some rare hard to get things in this World, but I never knew the home video game market had such high dollar rare games,
that some are willing to pay really big bucks for.

After seeing this game in my area going for over $12K on the 'bay' w/4 days left to go, I did a little searching to find there is a short list of rare games that some have paid as much as $55,000 & more for! WOW!

I currently have this game on my watch list just out of curiosity to see the end sale price. Might top $20 or $30K who knows?

If you want to see the actual auction just search 'Atari Air Raid' on ebay.
It's the only one there right now.
AtariAirRaid.jpg

Last edited:
isn't that one of those games that didn't really "exist", or it's more of a prototype that was never really on the market in a big way. I believe that is the case with "Air raid",s eeing how the game name isn't even on the cartridge itself. The company that did "air-raid" is a little suspect too as I recall.

Some of those old carts are going for crazy prices--it would almost pay to have been a collector if you got the right things back then:yes:.

Supposidly it's a pirated game. Uses the sounds from "Space Jockey" and the game play is similar to 'Missle Command'.

The back of the box shows made in Tawain but an L.A., California address claim but I would say that was suspect.

The description on the back claims "debut' game from Men A Vision, but they never made another game!

I guess this is what makes it so desirable. Only 20 are known to exist at this time. But this is the first time an intact box is with the game.

It should be fun to watch this auction!

originally posted by chicks Looks like he bought it from Tuesday Morning. Gonna hit a couple Tuesday Morning stores on the way home tonite...

Yeah if we could only reverse the clock back to 1985 when the seller claimed he bought it!

What kind of store is a "Tuesday Morning" never heard of it in these parts.

They buy overstock/closeouts from stores like Target, many others. Several of them around here, have scored some nice stuff, including three OmniFi DMS-1 music streamers that get a lot of use around here.

What kind of store is a "Tuesday Morning" never heard of it in these parts.

kinda a weird discount-ish store, where things go to sell for lower prices, but not fire-sale. I guess the best description is it's a liquidation store of sorts. Stock seems random, and focuses on home decor, although they can have a little bit of everything. That's the best way I can describe it:dunno:

Also, Men-A-Vision, gawd, what a terrible company name, makes you think of things that have nothing to do with video games; "men-a-vision, for that 24 hour clean smell":yuck::D

orignally posted by babeba67 What kind of store is a "Tuesday Morning" never heard of it in these parts.

Like 'Big Lots' if you ever heard of those. Tuesday Morning was a closeout store. Last years toys and such. They had a fantastic selection of diecast vehicles at one time that were very detailed. Forgot the brands.
They had board games, house wares, knick knacks, all kinds of things.

Not sure if they are still around, have not been in one for years.

Also, Men-A-Vision, gawd, what a terrible company name, makes you think of things that have nothing to do with video games; "men-a-vision, for that 24 hour clean smell":yuck::D

Men-A-Vision games did have a special feature that allowed the player to take a break from the action.

Men-A-Pause.

Really only 12 of them made....My dad brought that game home from Gold Circle back when I was a kid for me after work....he paid a buck for it...

originally posted by MeatInStereo Really only 12 of them made....My dad brought that game home from Gold Circle back when I was a kid for me after work....he paid a buck for it...

Not sure just how many were made, but the Atari & gaming forums say 13 to 20 persons have come forward to claim ownership.
I am sure there are more out there (not alot but a few I would guess), just some have not realized they still have one? In the attic? In a storage unit?

Like 'Big Lots' if you ever heard of those. Tuesday Morning was a closeout store. Last years toys and such. They had a fantastic selection of diecast vehicles at one time that were very detailed. Forgot the brands.
They had board games, house wares, knick knacks, all kinds of things.

Not sure if they are still around, have not been in one for years.

They're still around here. Sometimes they have some really nice stuff for decent prices. Definitely more upmarket than Big Lots, though a similar business.

originally posted by Sam Cogley They're still around here. Sometimes they have some really nice stuff for decent prices. Definitely more upmarket than Big Lots, though a similar business.

I totally agree! Was just using 'Big Lots' to help answer the question, but Tuesday Morning is levels above BL stores.

I totally agree! Was just using 'Big Lots' to help answer the question, but Tuesday Morning is levels above BL stores.

Rather like Target and Wal-Mart. Both operating in the same general category, but aiming for different consumers.

Here's a great article about this particular cart from the always excellent Mental_Floss site.

why bring this topic back from about 7 pages back?

The game closed for $31,600:jawdrop:

Apparently having the only known box for it drove it up, but still...most cars are cheaper than that...

can you believe that?, meatinstereo, may be time to dig around for the old atari:yes:.

Its amazing what these games have fetched. I started a thread on the recent frenzy on the Nintendo Stadium Events game mentioned in the Mental Floss Blog that sold for $41,300.00. :sigh:

Regards,
Mike

Back
Top Bottom