Audiokarma Featured Sponsor

Go Back   AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums > Speakers

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1138 View Post
I think I already did. Looks like a great amp, but I'd watch the levels. I don't know what you listen to or how loud.

I suppose I should have mentioned that my amp eaters are Series I and yours are 6s.
You really don't need a lot power with these new and improved 901 series 6 version 2's.....Bose is not using the same speaker drivers as they used in past 901 speakers. Right now I'm using a marantz pm7001 that puts out only 70 watts.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Banned

I see others on the forums using fullrange speakers with their Yamaha a-s2000 integrated amps so this should be a great match with my 901's. I talked to one person that has a yamaha a-s2000 and he told me that this amp lets the music through, as it is recorded with no effect at all ! It sounds like "NO AMP" ! Getting Totally out of the way! He said he's been waiting for a product like this to come on the market for over 30 years now !...
Old 04-12-2011, 11:52 PM
AK Member

Bose 901 needing lots of power is , in a way, a myth. The original Series I and II were acoustic suspension speakers - those needed gobs of power. To make the speaker available to more people, they started porting the speaker, so it needed much less power. Unless you have the Series I or II, you do not need a beast of an amp to drive them.
Do they sound better with more power ? Sure, but the vast majority of speakers sound better with more power.

ML SL3 - "While some people may prefer a speaker that demands less from them, these speakers are designed for those who demand nothing less than the best from their speakers." Stereophile Review 1997
Old 04-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donberry View Post
Bose 901 needing lots of power is , in a way, a myth. The original Series I and II were acoustic suspension speakers - those needed gobs of power. To make the speaker available to more people, they started porting the speaker, so it needed much less power. Unless you have the Series I or II, you do not need a beast of an amp to drive them.
Do they sound better with more power ? Sure, but the vast majority of speakers sound better with more power.
This Yamaha a-s2000 puts out 190 watts as you can see in this review... http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/revi...a-s2000/259907 Also they was French reviewer that just loved the Yamaha amp. In the review he was using some Verity Audio Parsifal Ovation ($25,000) and these speakers are hard to drive too....sensitivity is only 85.0db. He said this amp is an Incredible value....compare it to integrated amps in the.... $5,000 to $7,000 range !.. A Classic that we will talk about for a long time !
.I can't wait to get my Yamaha a-s2000 now !
Old 04-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Banned

I got my Yamaha a-s2000 integrated amp today and I'm shocked at how good this amp sounds !.. It sounds much more like a really good Class A amp like the Luxman L590a mk2 or Accuphase! This amp does run a little warm. This amp is a GOOD MATCH with my 901's too !.. I'm going let it break-in good for 400 hours or so and see how good it sounds then....
Audiokarma
Old 04-16-2011, 08:53 AM
Banned

One more thing about this yamaha amp.... you CAN NOT hook up the bose equalizer through the main-in and pre-out hook ups on this yamaha a-s2000. I had to hook up mine between my satellite receiver and the CD inputs on my yamaha a-s2000 integrated amp
Old 04-17-2011, 10:03 AM
Banned

The more I listen to the Yamaha a-s2000 the more amazed I am !... The sound quality is just amazing for the price yamaha is selling it !....I don't know how they did it !.. Normally you would have to pay A LOT OF MONEY to get sound and built quality like this now !... Yamaha seems to achieved their goal by giving us the best of both worlds (tube and solid state) with the A-S2000 Integrated amp !.. The A-S2000 is a match made in heaven with the NEW BOSE 901 series 6 version 2's too !.. Everything sounds SO SPOOKY REAL now !... I get that"YOU ARE THERE FEELING"when listening to music now !.. I think this is an AMAZING achievement for Yamaha at a AMAZING PRICE !... .Later on I'm going to try out one of those new HiFi Tuning Supreme fuses in this amp... http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue54/fuses.htm

Last edited by HiFiSoundGuy; 04-17-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Banned

I have been enjoying my new improved 901's a lot now with the speakers turned around backwards with the speakers pointing dead straight ahead with no toe-in at all !.. You just have to let the 901's (settle-in really good for a few weeks) with the speakers turned around backwards and then JUDGE what they sound like then !. They sound SO MUCH BETTER after you let them settle-in good this way !...
Old 05-13-2011, 04:02 PM
My ears are bleeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiSoundGuy View Post
I have been enjoying my new improved 901's a lot now with the speakers turned around backwards with the speakers pointing dead straight ahead with no toe-in at all !.. You just have to let the 901's (settle-in really good for a few weeks) with the speakers turned around backwards and then JUDGE what they sound like then !. They sound SO MUCH BETTER after you let them settle-in good this way !...
Are you saying the angled end is facing you as opposed to facing rearward? Not sure I've heard anyone do that before. If that is the case not toeing the speakers in makes a lot of sense. Interesting.

Without having to reread this whole thread, can you describe your room? I'm wondering if you have a lot of dampening going on that is, in a sense, absorbing sound and diminishing the volume getting to you. Do both speakers have similar arrangements, i.e. solid rear wall and solid side walls (extending out past the fronts of the speakers?

RS 40-4024a, 5b, 7b, Min-7, LX-5II, JBL L3, L88, HPM-40 (2nd Gen), Infinity 4000, Allison CD7, Advent1, V.A. Haydn (first Gen)

Sony DVP NS755V, Technics SL-1700, Sony WEGA DLP 60"
Old 05-13-2011, 09:48 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiSoundGuy View Post
Gawd!
Old 05-13-2011, 10:16 PM
AK Member

Quote:
I have been enjoying my new improved 901's a lot now with the speakers turned around backwards with the speakers pointing dead straight ahead with no toe-in at all
if you are enjoying them that way, more power to you and keep on enjoying them, but that really pretty much defeats the whole design of the speaker.
The 901 is not made to be a studio monitor. It is made to "reflect" it's sound from the rear, surrounding the room in sound to give you a "concert hall" like effect.
Not supposed to be placed in corners, but on a straight wall, drivers of course facing the rear.

But hey, if u are happy, have at it

ML SL3 - "While some people may prefer a speaker that demands less from them, these speakers are designed for those who demand nothing less than the best from their speakers." Stereophile Review 1997
Old 05-13-2011, 11:18 PM
LIVE from Lake Ouachita

.....anyone....if you have 4 Series II Bose 901's, 2 Series II Bose 901 eq's, and a Marantz 3300 pre-amp, PM me ....seriously.....

McIntosh/RGPC 1200 (3)/Speaker Art Super Clef TL (4)/Speaker Art Super Clef (4)/SVS B4+
Old 12-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Banned

Tone Audio Magazine might do a review on the latest bose 901's.. http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...d.php?t=269833