ESS Transar 5 Anyone?

Could someone please tell me what the market range is (TODAY) for a working pair of ESS Transar's.
Not much. Every pair I have seen for sale have had shot woofers, which kills the whole idea. Apparently, they were very fragile. There was two pair locally that the seller could not make one good pair out of.. I think he ended up parting them out for their heil drivers. As I recall, the dealer network was forced into buying stock by ESS and many were defective within months. Last I knew, he was asking $200 for the two pair. Unfortunately, I never heard a working pair..

Actually, I have!! HiFiBuys in Atlanta had a demo pair for awhile that I heard playing JT's "Traffic Jam" back in the late 70's/early 80's. They were nice open sounding speakers, but what I remember most from the demo was the extraordinary travel the woofer assemblies had when the kick-drum hit -- even at pretty modest levels -- something like 2" of total travel!. I seem to remember that the system needed a dedicated eq device to compensate for dipole effects and may have used outboard conventional subs -- my memory fades. They were a very "outside-the-box" solution.

I have a working set

Hi, I noticed this thread and I thought I would chime in. I have a working pair of ESS Transar II's with an external crossover that are working fine. I bought them at a flea market about four years ago. I think they are circa 1978. I've heard that they are delicate but I have not had any issues.

I run them with a Harman Kardon Signature Series 2.0/2.1 set-up and I am very happy with the quality of the sound reproduction. I find them very life-like and I can listen to them for long periods with little fatigue. As an added value, I like enjoy having them in my living room to admire. I see them as works of audio. Even my wife thinks they look cool.

Hi, I noticed this thread and I thought I would chime in. I have a working pair of ESS Transar II's with an external crossover that are working fine. I bought them at a flea market about four years ago. I think they are circa 1978. I've heard that they are delicate but I have not had any issues.

I run them with a Harman Kardon Signature Series 2.0/2.1 set-up and I am very happy with the quality of the sound reproduction. I find them very life-like and I can listen to them for long periods with little fatigue. As an added value, I like enjoy having them in my living room to admire. I see them as works of audio. Even my wife thinks they look cool.

That's cool. I am one of many here that would love to hear them.

Really quite an interesting read, this thread is.

I have some experience with the company et al, but alas i don't have the time to expound on everything that has come to light about ESS in general, and the Transar builds as well... too much wordiness for me at this hour of night. But i'll try.

The company truly disrespected it's dealer and clientele with the Transar. Which is quite unfortunate for Oskar who spent the better part of half of his genius mind developing not only the Transar, but the AMT technology itself. I'd be happy to go on about the idiosyncrasies of the Transar but maybe at a later time.

The company was bought by a gentleman in 1981 and he funded everything "Oskar" after that point. I spent several hours talking to him last year about the Transar and many other inherent issues the company had with products. Here's my take in a nutshell... he ruined the reputation of the ESS company at large. If anyone has noticed (if you've been a Heil fan for decades) that it was precisely in 1981 and subsequent years, that all builds from the factory went downhill and continued to do so year after year, until the only thing they had to rely on was backward product support. And they fully brought the fail with even that. Cheapening everything.

I spent hundreds of man hours working in the newly re-opened US facility over the last 2 years (after closing in 2006 for a brief unsuccessful stint in Frankfurt) and the problem is just re-manifesting itself all over again. Sad times for such a profound speaker design, really. The new "Great Heil" (< - - this verbiage would make Oskar turn in his grave) is not a performer compared to the AMT of olden. It is an inferior build and side by side listening with even the untrained ear, will show this. I won't go into the "why" of inferiority, at least not in this post. But i'm happy to share with my fellow audiophiles. No secrets among us! Another time however.

So to the Transars, the main problem was in the carbon rods. Oskar was rushed to production in the early 80's from his design based in the late 70's where he spent years developing the original Transar, with the Transar II. He was NOT DONE perfecting a tremendous design that was years ahead of it's time. But the "funder" (same ess owner as of today actually) wanted sales and so the tragedy unfolded.

Oskar wanted to, and attempted to, upgrade those carbon rods with a graphite composite but was limited to what funding he had available and competitive levels "other" loudspeaker mfr's were racing into production during a time when tubes were rapidly being replaced with SS, and Heils were directly competing with Japan, Germany, France, England builds etc, including Tannoy and so many other companies that... "had it together" compared to the failings of, ESS LLC.

It's a long, sad, very sad, story. I shan't go into it now. It would make the Oskar follower almost cry to hear of it.

You're welcome! :)

I have to say i will make more light of 'insider' information later in this thread, when i'm at the keyboard and have the time. But basically my heart goes out to the genius of Dr Heil. His name has been tossed around like a used individual and indeed he was, a used individual. We're talking about the man that invented the FET here. Mosfet as it is currently known, would possibly not have been known for years more to come, had it not been for his highness.

He was a scholar like no other, and with the advent of the AMT i'm sure you audiophiles and easy-listeners alike... know far well that the AMT has no neighbors in it's class of design and build. There's been no other advancements in the audio electroacoustic transduction field like the air-motion transformer. It indeed stands alone amongst other drivers. That driver is an island unto itself.

It's truly a shame what the owner of the outfit that funded more research for Oskar did with, that man's invaluable time. It's my pleasure to share with the readers on this site in the near future what he's continuing to do with the AMT. Also, the current president "Rico" and how he's dropping the company into yet another abyss that rivals some of the worst stories that this company has ever produced... is absolutely mind-boggling to such a slender market that... could be a flourishing one for ESS yet is destined to fail and something i can almost 100% guarantee will actually, ultimately, largely, fail.

ESS has ONE CHANCE in this modern industry to make a go of it but a child in the playroom so to speak is pushing head-rest video monitors instead of coddling the niche market with the outstanding amt technology... so out from the shipping floor comes a very poor amt. :(

That saddens me greatly. I have a pair of AMT 1C woofers that could use reconing. Should I send them to him? Is their incompetency so bad that I shouldn't bother?

I have a pair of those AMT 1Cs, and a pair of late 80s AMT bookshelves. While there are good things about those (AMT 1D crossover, inverted roll surround woofers) there are other aspects that most definitely reek of sub par workmanship, like diaphragms that aren't perfectly straight, and binding posts on two sequential serial number speakers... that are different. Not to mention finding loose screws behind the Heil when I went to rotate it in the bookshelf cavity... I just about freaked out. Nevertheless, they still make a nice sound.

I definitely look forward to the rest of your story. I know many of us were hoping that at least the new center speakers were worth their price.

IBJamon

Last edited:
I heard them at the IHF show in Atlanta, back in the late 70's. I was very impressed. At the time, I put them in the top 5 speakers at the show.

That saddens me greatly. I have a pair of AMT 1C woofers that could use reconing. Should I send them to him? Is their incompetency so bad that I shouldn't bother?

I have a pair of those AMT 1Cs, and a pair of late 80s AMT bookshelves. While there are good things about those (AMT 1D crossover, inverted roll surround woofers) there are other aspects that most definitely reek of sub par workmanship, like diaphragms that aren't perfectly straight, and binding posts on two sequential serial number speakers... that are different. Not to mention finding loose screws behind the Heil when I went to rotate it in the bookshelf cavity... I just about freaked out. Nevertheless, they still make a nice sound.

I definitely look forward to the rest of your story. I know many of us were hoping that at least the new center speakers were worth their price.

IBJamon

Short answer is, no. Rico doesn't have any experience with speakers in general, much less ESS drivers or audiophile anything. Yet he's in charge of everything that is ESS at the present time. The re-cones in particular are utilizing the same exact cones available in the replacement drivers and the new speaker sets. Which much to our dismay are, mfr'd in China by a lo-fi home theater mfg factory. Not one person in the California facility has any experience with ESS products before opening up as a mfr. I tried to help for too too long, it would be laughable if it wasn't so sad. His (president, not owner) claim to fame over the years of his experience are solely as a video salesman and nothing else. Any more questions and i will be happy to expound upon them.

The center channel is a joke. It's a Taiwanese pre-manufactured box with Taiwanese 4" drivers and he just cut out a rectangle hole and stuffed an 1109 (mini amt) inside of it. No R&D, no specs, no trial and error, no special build, no testing, and no amt crossover other than one he pulled from a NOS PS1020 cabinet he had laying around and he shoved it in the hole with 4 screws. If that impresses anybody well... you get the idea here. ;)

Bad news from a potentially significant player in the loudspeaker industry...

Oh, and just to keep in with the theme of this thread, here are some
cellphone pictures i took a few months ago @ ess with a raw Baby Transar
low-frequency driver element. The picture angles should give a nice expose' of
an avant-garde genius-artisan hard at work revolutionizing whatever he can.

The baby transar utilized 6 rods and 5 diaphragms.

RIP Oskar.

baby2.jpg

baby1.jpg

baby3.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing pictures of the Transar bass unit! Thanks for putting this up - the more we can learn about the amazing Dr. Heil the better. :)

As for ESS and their engineering, too bad. It's also sad that you wouldn't trust them with my woofers, either. It looks like I'll just pick up some refoam kits (unless someone knows where I can get proper butyl surrounds) and live with the glue on the small crack on one of my woofer cones.

Or would another driver (Eminence 1220SF?) work better? If so, would it require crossover modifications?

IBJamon

I would continue to use the original driver. The 1Charlie is one of my favorite older builds, although it was a model in transition.

What took place was the 1C and the AMT MONITOR were both guilty of mid-build revisions that went largely undocumented. I have very few documents on those builds and ESS currently has even fewer. The transition bass driver as it were, went from the earlier bextrene / open-cell foam to a butadiene-styrene on either the bextrene or lighter-weight polypropylene (with elevated and enlarged spiders). The larger spider and poly cone unit was a mistake when used in conjunction with a reflex driver.

So if your 1C have the original bextrene driver and butadiene-styrene surrounds which typically fail at the outer fold, the only answer is to search for something comparable. Closed-cell foam will work well and butyl as well, but finding direct replacements is challenging.

I have some pairs of santoprene in the 12" that fit. Santoprene behaves much like EPDM (neoprene) and has a much longer life-span than butadiene and in some cases outlasts butyl.

SimplySpeakers / OrangeCountySpeaker / SpeakerWorks / etc only offer open-cell foam as far as i know. If you want a pair i can let some out.

el seven, mikecr, please DO go on.

I am a big fan of Heils. I use the smaller AMTs in my main custom speakers. It is hard to find a woofer that is efficient enough for a good pairing.

Depending on the cabinets / crossovers the woofer choices are few but eliminate the ? surrounding cabinets etc.

The gentleman that makes the Oskars once told me that the Transars were the best speakers he ever heard. I think he has a pair.

The caveat is that it must be properly assembled!

Back
Top Bottom