Ikea Expedit for record storage - show yours!

Is anyone using anything (other than the wall behind their Expedit) to keep the records from sliding all the way back?

Bill

Is anyone using anything (other than the wall behind their Expedit) to keep the records from sliding all the way back?

Bill

I use a furing strip secured with either small nails or strong double sided tape (the grey stuff from 3M) works just fine. I use a quarter round moulding strip if I want to stop CDs from sliding too far back.

Bill

Yes!
I got some 1x1 lumber (or similar), cut it into lengths to match the size of the cubes, and screwed it onto the shelves flush with the back edge. Now the records don't slide back out of the unit. I also screwed some hooks into the backs of the 1x1 strips to help organize the wires that are back there... much of my gear is sitting on top of the Expedit (a 2x4 unit laying on it's long side).

The whole job, including cutting the lumber, took less than an hour.

Anyone else using the Rekordit display frames? I bought a couple sets back on the Kickstarter campaign and they're nicely put together...nice heavy powder-coated frames, a very robust hinge/mounting arrangement too.

You can see the two cubes on the top left both have te frames installed. a nice way to display special covers or autographs.

Only issue I have is that they don't have any plexi or glass in the front to protect the record surface...

Attachments

• Rekordit 002.jpg
    Rekordit 002.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 245
here is my humble record collection (about 50 or so). the tt is a mitsubishi lt-20 -- thanks to perryrva for bringing it back to life!

Attachments

• TT.jpg
    TT.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 227
Two Expidit 5x5 units here:

DSCF7862.jpg

I enclosed mine by nailing 1/4' sanded oak plywood (finished in clear semi-gloss polyurethane) to the back & added 1x2's in each hole as backstops. I did not glue or tack the backstops down (no need with the plywood back), but I did cut them for a slight interferance fit in each hole. The units are leveled, tied together and secured to the wall (studs) in six places. Before I committed the care of my 4,400 LP collection to them, I actually climbed them - they didn't budge. Very happy Ikea customer here!

Not pictured are the two matching Ikea CD towers. On that same trip to Ikea, I bought a small chest of drawers and, using my rudimentary carpentry skills, I cut three 1/4" channels in the front & back of each drawer & added partitions. The insides of each compartment are finished with vinyl shelf paper. The result is a nice home for my singles:

DSCF7863.jpg

Unfortunately, I am at capacity on both and the man-cave offers no room for further expansion. Guess we'll have to move.

Anyone else using the Rekordit display frames? I bought a couple sets back on the Kickstarter campaign and they're nicely put together...nice heavy powder-coated frames, a very robust hinge/mounting arrangement too.

You can see the two cubes on the top left both have te frames installed. a nice way to display special covers or autographs.

Only issue I have is that they don't have any plexi or glass in the front to protect the record surface...

I really like that addition. Any chance of an internal image that may help my DIY substitutes please?

8374587024_78992c37eb_b.jpg

These fit my space perfectly! 1x5 Expedits with Capita Legs from Ikea. They look custom.

Attachments

• IMG_1463.jpg
    IMG_1463.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 39
8374587024_78992c37eb_b.jpg

These fit my space perfectly! 1x5 Expedits with Capita Legs from Ikea. They look custom.

Looks great! What's the story with the covers in the squares? Do you just have one record in front in each cube for show? How do you make it stand up, is it just leaning against the stack behind it?

Looks great! What's the story with the covers in the squares? Do you just have one record in front in each cube for show? How do you make it stand up, is it just leaning against the stack behind it?

Every one of those squares are full of records. I just have my recent listen records out in front cause I like the artwork. With these Expedits full of records, there is just enough space for a few in front resting against the stack.

Every one of those squares are full of records. I just have my recent listen records out in front cause I like the artwork. With these Expedits full of records, there is just enough space for a few in front resting against the stack.

:thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom