AU-20000: Brings out the best and worst in people

Tinnkindling

OLD SCHOOL
I have a mid-century modern audio stand I no longer want, so I put it on the local Craigslist. In the pictures for the ad, my AU-20000 is visible. Despite the fact that I clearly stated that the components in the picture are not included, and are NOT for sale, I have received two replies to the ad, wondering if I want to sell "that amp".

Of course, I ask them what they want to pay, and do they realize what it is?

It sure seems like they think I'm some chump selling grandpa's old stereo stand, and that I have no idea what that amp in the picture is worth.

Some folks never give up, I guess

Well sad but true. How many story's have we read in here , from members getting stuff at ridiculously low prices?

I try not to show my other gear in pics I use for ads. If I post an ad for a $40 receiver, and they see a $500 receiver in the background, they may come buy the $40 receiver, and come back later for the other one. If you get my meaning.

But ya, people are strange.

Rob

Hey Rick I'll give you 40 for it... cash money... right now

Hey Mike! I'm sure you would, but I already had an offer for $50!!!

And, yep, I've had lotsa daydreams about scoring a BA-5K for something like $95, but somehow, I always wake up empty handed...

Ok 60... my final offer.....
LOL~

MMmmmmmmm5K DROOOOLLLLL
BUT
If I can find another US power transformer ( and a meter ) I can go dual MONO 3k's
MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Moron's who can't or won't comprehend what they just read on CL (or anywhere else for that matter) when reading an AD should be thrown back into the Gene Pool. Maybe the schools should go back to the BASICS. Reading and Reading COMPREHENSION as 2 separate grades, like they did back in the 60's. Sr. Therese or Sr. Jeanne-Marie would not approve of the current school efforts. "Ok Sister's, get out those engineering rulers and crack a few knuckles!!!

Damned scars still Ache! :D

I guess the next time I take a photo of the stereo stand, I'll put some sort of dorky component, say a combination receiver/8Track with "200 watts of Music Power" in the photo.

Meanwhile, I agree with the comments about the guys who try to prey on the vulnerable...

Moron's who can't or won't comprehend what they just read on CL (or anywhere else for that matter) when reading an AD should be thrown back into the Gene Pool.

Their Gene Pool is very shallow, they my suffer brain damage when thrown back in...but then...how would anyone know? :D

I guess the next time I take a photo of the stereo stand, I'll put some sort of dorky component, say a combination receiver/8Track with "200 watts of Music Power" in the photo.

Only 200 watts? My amazing Aiwa stereo from the 90's can do at least 2000W PMPO! (Thats peak music bullshit output BTW).

I bought a pair of Time Windows a couple weeks ago that I spied in the background of another ad, and asked about, and now have.

NEWS FLASH!!!!!! People who look at ads on ________ name your site, are more often than not people like me, and people like AK people. People who look on internet sale sites are the type that sniff around for bargains, look for deals, scrounge out bargains.

When I post an ad I take a photo of only what I'm selling, with nothing else in the pic. I do this so people aren't confused, to preempt annoying calls, and to make my life simpler. If people can see it and it has any value whatsoever don't be suprised if they try to buy it.

I must confess ... having also been rapped over the knuckles with a ruler by the said, Sr. Therese ... in a photo advertisement for a garage-sale on gumtree (kijiji/CL), I could vaguely make-out what I thought to be two CA 3000's sitting on a shelf.

Admittedly, it was a music equipment garage-sale, but the guy wasn't intending to sell them and had meant to put them in the house. They turned out to be AU-20000's. We had a nice discussion and I ended up buying them from him.

Ahhh...the AU20000. My first amp. I bought it from a local Hifi store brand new, and took out a loan at the local finance company for it. 1975 price: $750.00.
I reluctantly traded it for a 9090DB in 1980...wish I hadn't. I put the dibs in to the new owner that if he wanted to sell, that he give me first right of refusal.
We lost contact for a few years, and I discovered the poor guy passed on a few years back.
I contacted his son, who turned out to be his executor, inquiring about the amp. He said he sold it to a friend of a friend for 300 bucks. He didn't have a contact number for him, etc.
I was bummed out about losing contact with this amp. I decided to buy a new Bryston 4B as a consolation prize, lol.
Still looking for one...preferably not updated.

Back
Top Bottom