Analog and digital.

Thacky

Hi all,
I dont understand reason why almost of us like the analog sound more than the digital sound?
What is a real reason? Tks

Digital sound in my opinion is too clear too bright and too direct. Has less emotion or warmth.

Analog doesn't have most of the time.

That's how I experiencing it...

I like analog sound but i dont know how to explain why, and also not enough confidence to said that my ear is better than someone.

Your ear IS better than someone else's. They are the only ears YOU can hear with. :D

I'll offer three potential reasons that I've increasingly come to think are important: Crosstalk, resonance, and noise.

Crosstalk: Vinyl playback produces crosstalk - some of the L channel bleeds into the R channel and vice-versa. Technically this reduces channel separation, which might seem like a bad thing. However, it also can make music sound more integrated or cohesive - it just "meshes" better and sounds more "natural."

Resonance: Vinyl playback can often produce analogue-realm resonances. As with crosstalk, this technically might be a "bad" thing. But in smearing some transients and slightly loosening up the bass, it can sometimes give vinyl that magical quality - again a kind of natural, wholistic, integrated sound, really pleasing.

Noise: Digital reproduction of a lot of older music - particularly music originally recorded to analog - can sound like the equivalent of putting an old photo in a brand-new frame: The frame is really nice, and the new glass is really clear, but it just doesn't mesh with the old photo. The old photo's dirt, cracked edges, yellowing and fading all stick out like a sore thumb because the new frame is so clean and clear. Vinyl is always going to have an inferior signal-to-noise ratio compared to CD/digital - but the noise floor (and the noise characteristics, even if the noise floor is very low) of vinyl seems to better "match" the noise and distortion of a lot of older recordings, particularly '60s and '70s rock.

Some disclaimers: I don't prefer analogue or digital across the board. It depends on the music and the mastering. I also would guess that some folks would probably disagree with what I've said here, especially about resonance and noise (some will object that their vinyl setups minimize resonance and result in dead-quiet playback). But this is my honest $.02 and the conclusion I've come to after years of listening, reading up, and listening some more...

I'll offer three potential reasons that I've increasingly come to think are important: Crosstalk, resonance, and noise.

Crosstalk: Vinyl playback produces crosstalk - some of the L channel bleeds into the R channel and vice-versa. Technically this reduces channel separation, which might seem like a bad thing. However, it also can make music sound more integrated or cohesive - it just "meshes" better and sounds more "natural."

Resonance: Vinyl playback can often produce analogue-realm resonances. As with crosstalk, this technically might be a "bad" thing. But in smearing some transients and slightly loosening up the bass, it can sometimes give vinyl that magical quality - again a kind of natural, wholistic, integrated sound, really pleasing.

Noise: Digital reproduction of a lot of older music - particularly music originally recorded to analog - can sound like the equivalent of putting an old photo in a brand-new frame: The frame is really nice, and the new glass is really clear, but it just doesn't mesh with the old photo. The old photo's dirt, cracked edges, yellowing and fading all stick out like a sore thumb because the new frame is so clean and clear. Vinyl is always going to have an inferior signal-to-noise ratio compared to CD/digital - but the noise floor (and the noise characteristics, even if the noise floor is very low) of vinyl seems to better "match" the noise and distortion of a lot of older recordings, particularly '60s and '70s rock.

Some disclaimers: I don't prefer analogue or digital across the board. It depends on the music and the mastering. I also would guess that some folks would probably disagree with what I've said here, especially about resonance and noise (some will object that their vinyl setups minimize resonance and result in dead-quiet playback). But this is my honest $.02 and the conclusion I've come to after years of listening, reading up, and listening some more...

Agree. :yes:

Hi all, I dont understand reason why almost of us like the analog sound more than the digital sound? What is a real reason? Tks
Well, I am willing to bet you have never heard digital sound (if we are talking about music). Well, I haven't. All of my speakers or any speakers I have ever heard are analogue. And I believe the signal being amplified is also analogue. Digital to analogue conversions are commonly done before preamp (I am sure there is exceptions to this though, like the all digital Sony ES preamps from early 90's). For sure all vintage Sansuis are full analog.

I believe you are thinking of sources. So: well, that depends very much on the media and how its been made (from recording to mastering and all the way to physical media if there is one). I cannot say that I allways prefer analog media over digital one. I've heard terrible LP's, CD's and digital files but I have also heard great ones. Right now I am listening a cd through a tube amp and I think it sounds very nice.

Even distortion sounds sometimes great (think them tube amps). People seem (a generalization) to prefer some distortion even though theoretically its a bad thing. So, this matter is not so easy and very subjective.

IMO, don't worry about it but just enjoy whatever sounds good to you. :music:

Well, I am willing to bet you have never heard digital sound (if we are talking about music). Well, I haven't. All of my speakers or any speakers I have ever heard are analogue. And I believe the signal being amplified is also analogue. Digital to analogue conversions are commonly done before preamp (I am sure there is exceptions to this though, like the all digital Sony ES preamps from early 90's). For sure all vintage Sansuis are full analog.

I believe you are thinking of sources. So: well, that depends very much on the media and how its been made (from recording to mastering and all the way to physical media if there is one). I cannot say that I allways prefer analog media over digital one. I've heard terrible LP's, CD's and digital files but I have also heard great ones. Right now I am listening a cd through a tube amp and I think it sounds very nice.

Even distortion sounds sometimes great (think them tube amps). People seem (a generalization) to prefer some distortion even though theoretically its a bad thing. So, this matter is not so easy and very subjective.

IMO, don't worry about it but just enjoy whatever sounds good to you. :music:

Tks ToniCH,
You are right, i has mention about the sources of signals.
my understanding : all the in put signals to amplifier must be analog signal.
I have the question above after make a change of source from CD player to DAC (with same amplifier and Speaker).
The sounds after that is not so good.

In my case, I am unable to come to a definitive conclusion regarding the superiority of digital vs analog sources (or vise versa). I've heard many CDs that sound better than many LPs...and have also heard many LPs that sound better than CDs. Personally, I believe that a well-engineered CD can sound just as pleasing as a well-engineered LP, and that recording quality is by far a more important variable than the medium. Quality of playback components also plays a significant role in comparing analog to digital. And, while most folks are aware of it, please allow me to point out that many LPs produced since the early 80's were recorded digitally. If, as the the OP suggests, most people believe analog sounds better than digital, would such LPs be considered analog or digital?

CDs and LPs are mastered differently for the medium. Which is why LPs have 'that' sound, boost here, take away there. But CDs are more 'accurate' to the actual recording session...and easier to master.

Whichever recording/medium/mastering sounds best to you.

Stereo equipment: just as long as it's NOT a 'home theater' amp...which most, by far, sound totally horrid for music. Great for movies, horrid for music. 20 different ways to hear the music and NOTHING sounds right, digital or analog.

Usually I prefer analogues continuous sound wave. It's much more natural and nothing much is deleted. Just 'feels' better in the soul.

digital/analog

My theory:

some people have analog listening ears
some people have digital listening ears

Right now, digital
sound is cheaper, accessible.

To convert everything I own into analog ( vinyl ) would cost me.

Would love to but i'm unable financialy.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the very similar discussion in the photography world: Film vs. digital.

The argument has pretty much been closed in favor of digital - sensors have simply reached a point where the resolution and in-camera image processing leaves film in the dust. In fact, post processing software will let you emulate to perfection your favorite roll of yesterday - say Ektachrome 50 Tungsten.

I believe digital is superior in a "highest possible sense" - problem is we haven't quite gotten there yet across the board. Too much inferior band-with and bitrates, but it is a matter of time. Who knows - maybe in time we will have software mimicking our favorite cartridges, with a faint 25hz rumble, crosstalk, resonance and all the other good stuff. :music:

Last edited:
i have heard great sound from both.

i like digital for the convenience, but i have to be sure that the music i am playing is high quality.

i like analog because you have the physical media to create your own high quality digital copy of the music. and you have the album artwork which can add a new level of involvement with the band/artist.

if you download digital music files there can be all sorts of problems which ruin a good song. so thats one less thing to worry about if you are using analog sources.

Reminds me of the very similar discussion in the photography world: Film vs. digital.

The argument has pretty much been closed in favor of digital - sensors have simply reached a point where the resolution and in-camera image processing leaves film in the dust. In fact, post processing software will let you emulate to perfection your favorite roll of yesterday - say Ektachrome 50 Tungsten.

I believe digital is superior in a "highest possible sense" - problem is we haven't quite gotten there yet across the board. Too much inferior band-with and bitrates, but it is a matter of time. Who knows - maybe in time we will have software mimicking our favorite cartridges, with a faint 25hz rumble, crosstalk, resonance and all the other good stuff. :music:

Actually this kind of software exists and is used by sound card - pre amp called metric halo , lio8 , uln , uln2 , there are some models , but the basic model is 2ch , whereas the others are 8ch.
Apart from that , this sound card or preamp works with amara and other apple software and mimics any cartridge sound there is out there Also it has it's own digital riaa correction , it can do many things , mimicking almost any machines sound very well . It has started a great war of analogue vs digital in the greek av site , debates , quarrels, and so on.
I haven't tried it myself but I was told it's doing an excellent job. One negative point is it only uses apple , not windows software.
Anyway I'm not so deep in the digital business so I'll stay out of this one. I don't have 4500$ to spend on a sound card-pre amp , and if I did I'd spend it elsewhere .

Analog for me.. more feeling to the music. I've a lot of the same albums on LP,CD,and even compact cassette.. LP is the fave choice!

I am wondering how much of the love for either is affected by the quality of the system playing material from the two basic mediums? Maybe a really good CD player would trump an average vinyl setup? - thus influencing the responses from people who have both.

Or is the best vinyl setup always better than the best CD setup for example?

Difficult questions... probably not possible to provide a definitive answer.

Back
Top Bottom