My new AU-717 and TU-517

Alfagt

My Au-717 amp and TU-517 tuner arrived at Adelaide Airport from California last Wednesday, 10 September. They left California on 27 August, having first travelled across to Kentucky, then Memphis Tennessee, back across the country to Honolulu, then Sydney and finally Adelaide. Who knows why Ebay international shipping works that way. They got here undamaged with everything as described by the seller.

The next day I took them to my brother, who is an expert technician, for a preliminary check. I hadn't realised the amp was a US only voltage unit until it arrived, but my brother quickly rewired it to 240 volts by connecting the power transformers in series and fitting a new Australian power cable, after initially testing it at 120 volts. It was working fine apart from the function switch being stuck in Aux mode, which the seller had noted in the ad, along with the missing bass control knob. My brother removed the function switch and pulled it apart to discover that the nylon cog inside had the teeth worn down on one end where the metal cog drove it. He was able to take the cog out and turn it around the other way, where the teeth were perfect. Meanwhile I cleaned the amp inside, using paint brushes and an air compressor. I cleaned the metal panels and knobs with orange cleaner and it all came up very nicely. It was what I would call moderately dirty and could have been worse. After refitting the switch and lubricating the shaft, it worked perfectly. It had become stiff to turn inside, causing the cog to be stripped. A temporary bass knob was fitted while I wait for a replacement from the US to arrive. We didn't have time to switch the tuner over to 240 volts, (it is universal voltage), so I took the amp home and left the tuner. I have had the 717 running at home connected to my Accusound speakers for the last three days and it has been working fine. It sounds much cleaner than the 1990 Sony STR AV770 we have been using, with far better mid range and more controlled bass. There is absolutely no hiss or hum during or in between tracks, or with the music switched off. I am listening to Dire Straits as I write and it is a very pleasant thing to listen to. I am very pleased with it so far.

One day this week I am taking the 717 back to my brother and we are going to run it up on the oscilloscope and test the performance before stripping it and testing and replacing as necessary all the components, including caps and the famous fuse resistors. I will be kept busy scraping off the dreaded Sansui glue. We will do another performance test after the overhaul. All I can say is that if it sounds better than it does now it will be one mighty impressive piece of equipment. Below are some before and after photos of our work the other day.

Attachments

• DSC01677.jpg
    DSC01677.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC01678.jpg
    DSC01678.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC01683.jpg
    DSC01683.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC01684.jpg
    DSC01684.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC01685.jpg
    DSC01685.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC01688.jpg
    DSC01688.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Some more after pics

Here are the rest of the photos of the AU-717 after cleaning.

Attachments

• DSC01689.jpg
    DSC01689.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC01691.jpg
    DSC01691.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC01692.jpg
    DSC01692.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 53
After running fine most of the day the 717 lost the right channel this evening whilst the TV was running through it. It has done it before, but not very often. I swapped it from auxiliary to tape 2 and it was still missing. I pulled the leads off and put them back on and the right channel returned for a while. It cut out again a few minutes ago, so I fiddled with the notorious pre amp/power amp switch on the back and after at first losing both channels, they both came on again and are still on. So a squirt with contact cleaner is needed. Thanks to the people on this forum who have mentioned that problem. I love the internet.

Based on the color of the glue I see in your pix, a recap is in order… SOON… but congrats on your new toy~ These are MIGHTY BEASTS considering their size!

Well, I switched the amp on this morning and there was no sound at all until I wriggled the pre amp/ power amp switch. At first I got the right channel only and then both. I gave it a spray with contact cleaner and cycled the switch a few times and it is working fine now. In fact I think it sounds even better than before.

Based on how crusty it was I think you will have a few more little " OH BY THE WAYS " like that.... no biggie though...

By running the transformers in series, aren't you taking away the "dual mono" aspect of this amplifier?

Based on how crusty it was I think you will have a few more little " OH BY THE WAYS " like that.... no biggie though...

Yes, I expect so. I am very pleased with how well it works out of the box with minimal work so far though. I am looking forward to working with my brother on the complete overhaul. It will nice to know it is ready for the next 36 years afterwards. It is very satisfying to work on equipment of this quality that is built to last.

Well, I switched the amp on this morning and there was no sound at all until I wriggled the pre amp/ power amp switch. At first I got the right channel only and then both. I gave it a spray with contact cleaner and cycled the switch a few times and it is working fine now. In fact I think it sounds even better than before.

My guess probably u need to physically deoxit/lube it for optimum operation.
I did mine by disoldering it from back panel wires, gently ply open its side pin to release the housing rails to get to its copper rails.

Get those cotton swaps to clean off those black marks wif deoxit n progold to lube back the clean rails, after installed it back the usual practice.

By running the transformers in series, aren't you taking away the "dual mono" aspect of this amplifier?

Apparently not, according to a guy who has done it and tested it afterwards. This was backed up by comments by others I have read. I am not a technician but it is something to do with the separation between the primaries and secondaries. There is always the option of making up a step down transformer to connect to the power cord, but I don't think I will need to do that. It is more convenient this way. It is just one of those things that after all my research I didn't realise some 717s were 120 volts only. Some older amps seem to have 120 volt labels on the back and are switchable inside, but this one isn't. The 517 tuner is international voltage however.

My guess probably u need to physically deoxit/lube it for optimum operation.
I did mine by disoldering it from back panel wires, gently ply open its side pin to release the housing rails to get to its copper rails.

Get those cotton swaps to clean off those black marks wif deoxit n progold to lube back the clean rails, after installed it back the usual practice.
Thanks for that advice.

At the back panel of the amp itself just bottom right corner beside the power cord shd hav a small rectangle box wif Sansui logo protruding out.

Unscrew the 2 side screw in which it will reveal the plug for several international voltage settings, change accordingly to yr ac main voltage.

At the back panel of the amp itself just bottom right corner beside the power cord shd hav a small rectangle box wif Sansui logo protruding out.

Unscrew the 2 side screw in which it will reveal the plug for several international voltage settings, change accordingly to yr ac main voltage.

My amp doesn't have that feature.

Not all Sansuis have that. My AU-717, 9900, 9900A, CA-2000, BA-2000, TU-517, TU-717 and few others do but the AU-20000 does not.

Back
Top Bottom