2000x

thaxman

So I believe that the amp my dad has had stashed away because he blew out the left channel moving the unit while it was playing and pulled a speaker out (SP 1200s btw) is a 2000x.
Wondering if one was to place it on a scale where 1 is entry-level and 10 is a professional system, where the 2000x would find itself on the scale.

As an aside, he replaced the Sansui with a mid-80s Technics from S Korea and I ran those SP 1200s up and never had a problem...until I was dumb enough to pull the grilles off them and didn't put them back on and after I left the house, my siblings figured out the grilles came off and messed with the woofers.

The 2000x has capacitor coupled outputs and is pretty robust. I wouldn't expect pulling a cable to bother it. Shorting it might. It's pretty easy to work on.

It's medium low power, about 30 watts/ch. Typically warm and smooth sounding, though all bets are off if it hasn't been serviced. They suffer from noisy small signal transistors that need to be replaced. Sansui built excellent tuners and a properly aligned 2000x is very good. It uses a traditional IF strip with 6 transformer cores, rather than ceramic filters, and has to be adjusted for the right response curve. It's a well regarded receiver, though that popularity has caused the price to increase over the last few years.

Bummer. TT my dad. The 2000x got the boot several years ago. The SP 1200s still have a home though :thmbsp: although I put ca. 1994 Pioneers in to replace the damaged woofers. BUT I was smart enough to put the Sansui 12"s back in the Pioneer boxes and he says he still has them! Woohoo. Looks like I will be investigating how to rebuild them (1 bad cone and both have damaged domes IIRC)

Scour ebay I found some solid drivers there when I rebuilt one set of my SP-2000s. I replaced 2 tweeters a super tweeter and one of the 4" drivers. I can highly recommend recapping the x-overs with some new higher end theta film audio caps. I have 2 sets of SP-2000 and the recapped set sounds amazingly better. And all my original caps were still in spec for uF. I didnt test them for ESR.

Pulling the wire out likely allowed the wire to arc to the heat sink on the back and smoked the output transistors for that channel. As others will tell you it will need to be worked through to check all the components of that channel as it could feedback and kill components in the driver board as well. Since your in there at that point....might as well recap and replace those noisy transistors.

I just got a 2000A from another AK'er with a 2000X on the way. I'm gonna do the 458's and Conrad's tweaks to this one. Other than that I'm gonna leave it for now. Same with the X. If it's quiet with no sources, it'll get Conrad's X tweaks and replacements for the 458's. I've got 2 complete lists of parts in boxes for them. But right now that 2000A sounds very good. Every bit as good as the one I had a few years ago. And slightly better than my 2000. We'll see how the "X" is.

Back
Top Bottom