Sherwood S-8800 VFET

jocko_nc

You (I think) don't find these every day. This receiver old school of the old school. Says VFET on the front.

It powers up, but I have not done anything with it yet. Due to age, I want to clean it up first.

Last edited:
VFET on a Sherwood, never heard of! Looks like an interesting piece.

Post some pics of the inside :)

VFET, are you sure it is not just FET? The unit predates VFETs by a few years. The company came out with the first to use all silicon transistors in their tuners, amps and receivers, then FETs and microcircuits in the tuners. Never saw any Sherwood advertising it had VFETs.

Plain ol' FETs in the front end. They sort of revolutionized solid state tuners; earlier, there were few transistors good at VHF. The earliest "solid state" tuners and receivers often used a tube (or even two) in the front end... often a Nuvistor.

Yep. Sorry, guys. Was just downstairs looking at it closely for the first time. I was mistaken and misread as "FET" as "VFET". The old language confused me. I was surprised when the outputs looked so normal. Oops.

Here are some pics. Both channels work, though I could not get really critical.

$12.00 at the Habitat today...

What is up with the tiny Preamp Level and Hush pots???

Last edited:
These US made SS units are really nice. I am using a tuner and amp from the period and love them. Really makes beatiful music. I have the SEL-200 receiver in the stack but it needs some tlc. I'd suggest getting it gone through by a good tech. Usually a few caps need replacing.

I'll probably check this one out best I can and sell it to someone who specifically collects Sherwood. I have too much stuff that I am not using.

Hope it goes to someone willing to invest in getting it gone through to assue it meets spec. I suspect based on my units these many be sleeper receivers.

Back
Top Bottom