audio-technica AT-OC9/III

scottyh777

I recieved a audio-technica AT-OC9/III today and mounted it on my Clearaudio Concept.I owned the OC9 version 2 a few years back and wanted to hear the version 3 for a while now.Anyway, great sounding cart as always.I think version 2 tracking was 1.5.The new is 2 grams.Version 3 also uses Boron materials.

Attachments

• P1010128.jpg
    P1010128.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 145
  • P1010127.jpg
    P1010127.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 141
So how best would you describe the sound from the OC9/III with your current setup compared to anything else you have used in the past regarding MC or MM carts?

So how best would you describe the sound from the OC9/III with your current setup compared to anything else you have used in the past regarding MC or MM carts?

Thats a hard question for me to answer.I have several tables and all have MM carts and I have always been a fan of MM carts.It's my preference.I have tried several other MC carts before but always came back to MM.I always had a soft spot for the AT OC9 becuase of the bang for the buck and I just dig the sound it produces.The cart it replaced was a Clearaudio Maestro MM.I can't say definitidely is one is better than the other.I am looking foward to some more breakin with the AT OC9.The Maestro is twice as much as the AT and that I can't tell which is better makes the OC9 a great value in my eyes.Fortunately my Musical Surroundings has dip switches for the gain and load as the OC9 is low output.So, my main turntable I will use both the Maestro and OC9 and probably switch off from time to time.In my mancave I have 5 TT's all with MM carts.Grace 9E and 9L,Shure V15 IV,Shure V15 VxMR,Clearaudio Concept MM.

Last edited:
Thats a hard question for me to answer.I have several tables and all have MM carts and I have always been a fan of MM carts.It's my preference.I have tried several other MC carts before but always came back to MM.I always had a soft spot for the AT OC9 becuase of the bang for the buck and I just dig the sound it produces.The cart it replaced was a Clearaudio Maestro MM.I can't say definitidely is one is better than the other.I am looking foward to some more breakin with the AT OC9.The Maestro is twice as much as the AT and that I can't tell which is better makes the OC9 a great value in my eyes.Fortunately my Musical Surroundings has dip switches for the gain and load as the OC9 is low output.So, my main turntable I will use both the Maestro and OC9 and probably switch off from time to time.In my mancave I have 5 TT's all with MM carts.Grace 9E and 9L,Shure V15 IV,Shure V15 VxMR,Clearaudio Concept MM.
Can you give us an update of your opinion of the OC9-3 cartridge? I am looking at buying a new one, and this is on my list of possibilities. :)

Looks like Scotty was beamed up. I've been thinking of buying the AT-OC9ML/ll myself and been curious as to how it compares to the Denon DL-301mkll I'm presently using.
Sam

The OC9/MLIII is a clear step up from the 2M Bronze and a Concorde with a 40 stylus (basically an om40). More detail then either of those, wider/deeper soundstage, and less surface noise. It's also the best tracking cart I've ever had.

I know the MLII was accused of being overly bright but I can tell you the III is not in the least.

The 33EV is a fine choice as well - do some reading about both and decide which "sound" you are after...

jblnut

I'm very curious myself. Never been a fan of AT and I got a general phobia of MC carts. My wife got an Ortofon Rondo Bronze for which we're still paying because we had to upgrade our pre-amp and get a proper step up. I'm not sorry but now we've got too many turntables (five actually - all of which are variations of the Thorens TD-160) and I need some good carts. I was thinking, naturally for me, about the Ortofon 2M Bronze or Black. I wonder how the OC9/III compares???
Yes, I also took the plunge and bought an OC9-3, after asking about it above. I then bought a Threshold Fet-10e phono preamp. (about $700 delivered, EBay) The combination of the two is jaw dropping. I’ve never heard any of my vinyl sound this good. I think the proper MC transformer will do away with the extra back ground noise, which IS a little bit audible, and give me an early entrance in to audio heaven.

What kind of step-up are you using? I’m very interested to know that. Choosing the right one without being able to audition them can get complicated. There are varying opinions on whether they should be resistance loaded etc. Right now, I am looking at the Rothwell MCL.

Yes, I also took the plunge and bought an OC9-3, after asking about it above. I then bought a Threshold Fet-10e phono preamp. (about $700 delivered, EBay) The combination of the two is jaw dropping. I’ve never heard any of my vinyl sound this good. I think the proper MC transformer will do away with the extra back ground noise, which IS a little bit audible, and give me an early entrance in to audio heaven.

What kind of step-up are you using? I’m very interested to know that. Choosing the right one without being able to audition them can get complicated. There are varying opinions on whether they should be resistance loaded etc. Right now, I am looking at the Rothwell MCL.

At that price (700) you got just the phono stage .. ?

At that price (700) you got just the phono stage .. ?
Yes, it's phono only, and then plugs in to the HL on a regular preamp. It listed for $3,250 back in it's day, and has gold plated circuit boards for longevity. Normal EBay on that unit is more like $900-$1,000, but I lucked out.

Hey Guess what !!!

I had an OC9/III..beautiful...Yes, people know how I raved about the OC9/III...Loved it ...umm...till yesterday...please sit down for this...feel free to cry if needed...

Yes I HAD and OC9/III until yesterday when I was mounting it on my brand new ClearAudio Concept table...and snapped the stylus off...

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrffffffffffff F- ME !!! :tears::tears::tears:

Appropriate time to play Another One Bites the Dust.

In the interim, I mounted my AT150Mlx. and ordered an AT33EV. Why ? Because that sucker is the same as the AT33PTG/II which started this whole mess months ago..long story..

I had an OC9/III..beautiful...Yes, people know how I raved about the OC9/III...Loved it ...umm...till yesterday...please sit down for this...feel free to cry if needed...

Yes I HAD and OC9/III until yesterday when I was mounting it on my brand new ClearAudio Concept table...and snapped the stylus off...

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrffffffffffff F- ME !!! :tears::tears::tears:

Appropriate time to play Another One Bites the Dust.

In the interim, I mounted my AT150Mlx. and ordered an AT33EV. Why ? Because that sucker is the same as the AT33PTG/II which started this whole mess months ago..long story..
Oh Man. You have my condolences. This might make you feel better. LOL Years ago, I bought a bunch of gear from defunct Musicraft in Oak Park, Il. He hand selected a Shure V15-5MR, and I took it out like a dumb-ass to look at it. I had like a nervous reaction or something, and almost dropped it. I snapped it off right in front of the salesman, AFTER I paid for it. Had to buy a new stylus for a new cart.

ETA: The stylus protector on the OC9-3 SUCKS. To put it on, it's like you are risking wrecking the stylus by the way that the, "Protector" goes on to it. They should rename it the stylus destroyer. LOL I also just bought a Grado Ref-sonata, used, and the protector on that is very well implemented. I also still have a BP-Evo-3, which can't be fitted with one. The stylus on that sticks out as if it is asking for it.

Last edited:
And its not my first..

Crying for you. Been there, done that - sucks :tears:

Hate it when approx. $600 goes POOF...It was really because the damn connectors are so tight..was using my usual special need nose pliers. Got to the last connector (they were all tough)...SLIP..UGGGG.

I wish these companies would spend an extra 5 bucks on the connectors I got when I bought my litz wire kit ! They go on easy, snug up, and come off easy. These :

561490_552838471398286_243187404_n.jpg

Ouch

Oh Man. You have my condolences. This might make you feel better. LOL Years ago, I bought a bunch of gear from defunct Musicraft in Oak Park, Il. He hand selected a Shure V15-5MR, and I took it out like a dumb-ass to look at it. I had like a nervous reaction or something, and almost dropped it. I snapped it off right in front of the salesman, AFTER I paid for it. Had to buy a new stylus for a new cart.

I feel you..I talked to my ClearAudio dealer...he said don't feel too bad ..he has done it with a $2000 and a $4000 cart...in the same week !!

He wanted me to buy a Shelter 501...Retails for $1200...YIKES...Beautiful but a wee bit out of my range...

I feel you..I talked to my ClearAudio dealer...he said don't feel too bad ..he has done it with a $2000 and a $4000 cart...in the same week !!

He wanted me to buy a Shelter 501...Retails for $1200...YIKES...Beautiful but a wee bit out of my range...
Maybe that's why these damn things cost so much! The salesman factor. Take a look at my edit on the post that you quoted about stylus protectors.

Back
Top Bottom