Pioneer CS-33

arcaidy

Picked up a pair from the GW today. Can't say they are anything special, but look nice so I figured why not. Anyone know much about them? Cabinets seen pretty nice.

Attachments

• DSC00559.JPG
    DSC00559.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC00560.JPG
    DSC00560.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 241
  • DSC00561.jpg
    DSC00561.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 238
  • DSC00562.JPG
    DSC00562.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 214
Some of those old pioneer speakers are surprisingly nice sounding . Especially if you don't feed them too much power . Power rating on those is 25watts I bet they'll sound great with a valve amp .

Yeah, I've read about several with shredded surrounds on the woofers, and they can't be repaired because it's a paper surround, so go easy on them.

But, I demoed a set of CS-33As, and they were a pretty good little speaker. They a had a lot of character, a fairly flat freq curve, with a very controlled treble response. The tweeter had a very slight distortion that made it sound very cool.

I posted about it here. You can find it if you search.

Interesting speakers, lettuce know what you think! Did you get 'em for a small amount of cabbage? :D

<ducking> hehehehe!

Those *are* quite cool...AlNiCo no less. From Pioneer's tube era, I bet.

TP

So should I leave the original cap in place or change it out? They really don't sound bad for what they are. I have a couple of small tube amps I could drive them with....

If you've ever priced a brand new fullranger that uses alnico magnets it will make you want to hold on to those . There seems to be a slight resurgence in the use of these type drivers . Some of those old alnico pioneers are selling on Ebay more than they were as brand new . I see yours have the removable back panel aka BBC/Harbeth loose box method technique . How much did you get them for ?

Last edited:
Cs-33's

I found a set also at GW about a month ago for just over six bucks. All original parts, I did check the woofers and gave them a shot of hair spray to stiffen them up. To me they sound pretty good in a small room, I do have to be careful with the SX950, as it could easily damage them. I am looking for some larger Pioneer speakers, but for now these work fine.

Last edited:
Riviving an old thread.

Sold a receiver to my neighbor and he asked me to find him some speakers to go with (Sansui 661, cool little receiver, 20wpc). I finally found him some little Pioneers that are worthy, Pioneer CS-33’s, damn good little low power speakers! If you need some small speaks for a bedroom or shop setup, give these guys a shot, they sound great!

Jim

Back
Top Bottom