Any Marantz 400/400m owners here?

RickJ_2270

I just noticed the cool looking 400 & 400M amps on the Classic Audio site. I had frankly forgot that these models even existed since the 140, 250, & 500 amps tend to get discussed more.

The 400 series seems to be fairly rare, with low production numbers.

Anyone here own a 400 or 400M amp? If so, how do you like it? I like that they weigh less than the 500, but appear to be just as musically capable.

One reason why I'm inquiring is that I just scored a pair of Martin Logan Aerius speakers from Craigslist. They were for sale right in my own town and priced right. That made it a no-brainer. These speakers are awesome. Right now I'm driving them with my Marantz 1250 integrated amp, but I get the feeling that they could use more power.

Your thoughts?

Regards, -rick.

I saw an ad for he 400M in 1978. I called Marantz and asked for the 400M specifications. I was told that the amp was a prototype only.

Hmmmm....maybe that's why we never see them for sale. I've been wondering about this model also.

Quote, RickJ 2270:
"I like that they weigh less than the 500, but appear to be just as musically capable."

Say what??????? ..."appear".
Bite your toung.

Never seen a 400(M) owner or even one for sale for that matter...

So agree with JBLMAR that they were just prototypes from everything I read.

jk

Quote, RickJ 2270:
"I like that they weigh less than the 500, but appear to be just as musically capable."

Say what??????? ..."appear".
Bite your toung.

No worries. I don't doubt for a moment that the Marantz 500 sits comfortably at the front of the vintage Marantz pantheon! In fact, I could easily see a Marantz 500 in my future. They seem to show up 'fairly' regularly on the auction site.

Regards, -rick.

Back
Top Bottom